Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
I'm not disagreeing... Agree 100%. Different strokes for different folks. Im just in a "distraction a bad thing camp" dont use overhead tv while moving either.. Buts thats just me. Tech is good and not going away. As I said. Comfort drive has value. Not a gimmick at all. Just not worth 40k to me.
I agree 100% about the distraction thing and I'm hoping this technology helps protect us from those who drive distracted. Us folks in Motorhomes have the advantage of sitting up high in our coach and we can see what going on in the cars ( and trucks) that pass us and I'm absolutely amazed at how many of them are using their smart phone for something while they drive, I'm sure that you have noticed the same thing
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #16

Everyday i see it as we all do. Its a major problem today. I carry a plague to show them.. "Email later.. DRIVE NOW!!. At a light of course
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #17

Comfort drive is a gimmick, but it might be a good one. You should drive a coach equipped with Comfort Drive under conditions it was designed to help and then decide for yourself if you want it or not.

Side winds, crowned roads, sudden blow outs are problems that it would be nice to solve/ minimize. The real question is if Comfort Drive can solve those problems without creating untended consequences. Back in 2008 when I bought a new car one of the features I really had to have was adaptive cruise control. What I found was that adaptive cruise worked OK sometimes, many times the computer control did not work well enough to make it worth having. So I ended up mostly setting the cruise control to it's standard setting. On my next car I did not get it. I can think of something else that does not work as well as manual. Auto night mirrors. I tried to buy my 2013 car without it as flipping over to night rear mirror works better. Even in a Jeep I could not delete auto mirror.

So my point is, try using it on a long test drive. If you like it, then it is good. If I was going to buy a new Newmar I would certainly try it to see if I liked it. Our big heavy Country Coach drives and handles very well, but sometimes sidewinds and road crown are annoying. And I have watched the Michelin blow out video twice plus mentally practiced what I would do if I ever had a sudden blow out.

My brain is very limited though so I am concerned with putting a computer between me and the tires. Something else for my limited brain to take into consideration, is the road causing this twitch in the steering wheel or is it the Comfort Drive brain?
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
Everyday i see it as we all do. Its a major problem today. I carry a plague to show them.. "Email later.. DRIVE NOW!!. At a light of course
Thats a great idea!!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Maybe text later would be more appropriate. However it's a great idea.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #20

It doesn't stop the epidemic... But it does seem to put the phone down quickly albeit temporarily
Old 08-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Drive both, buy the one you like the best...simple as that. Every brand owner is going to have their opinion. It is the purchaser who's opinion is the most important. I can say from my personal experience and I have driven a few, not all Entegra's handle the same. My Entegra had to go back to Spartan to have the steering problems corrected.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
No comfort drive on our Aspire and it drives just fine...

Is it a plus? i guess. As any option any coach may or may not have....

Deciding factor? I dont think so..
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
A while back I demo'd a 38 Ventana, I went that day because of the high wind forecast, it was steady 25 gusting to 40.

got on the highway it was in crosswind direction, it works no gimmick, drove my 3/4 ton pickup back on the same road it was getting pushed around so it was blowing.

Didn't buy at that time but I'm getting interested in maybe doing so now.

Willing be looking at Newmar again and the Entegras not seen one yet in person.

I will also say that my old HR being setup correctly, air pressure, ride hgt and alignment did very well going out west a few weeks ago, but it took attention, I was fine but was getting moved a bit not a lot a bit.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Comfort drive is a gimmick, but it might be a good one. You should drive a coach equipped with Comfort Drive under conditions it was designed to help and then decide for yourself if you want it or not.

Side winds, crowned roads, sudden blow outs are problems that it would be nice to solve/ minimize. The real question is if Comfort Drive can solve those problems without creating untended consequences. Back in 2008 when I bought a new car one of the features I really had to have was adaptive cruise control. What I found was that adaptive cruise worked OK sometimes, many times the computer control did not work well enough to make it worth having. So I ended up mostly setting the cruise control to it's standard setting. On my next car I did not get it. I can think of something else that does not work as well as manual. Auto night mirrors. I tried to buy my 2013 car without it as flipping over to night rear mirror works better. Even in a Jeep I could not delete auto mirror.

So my point is, try using it on a long test drive. If you like it, then it is good. If I was going to buy a new Newmar I would certainly try it to see if I liked it. Our big heavy Country Coach drives and handles very well, but sometimes sidewinds and road crown are annoying. And I have watched the Michelin blow out video twice plus mentally practiced what I would do if I ever had a sudden blow out.

My brain is very limited though so I am concerned with putting a computer between me and the tires. Something else for my limited brain to take into consideration, is the road causing this twitch in the steering wheel or is it the Comfort Drive brain?

There is no computer between you and the tires, default setting is off. Should it stop working you still have what you have now, plane old power steering.

If I want firmer steering, I turn the knob. If I want easier steering, I turn the knob.

The best is when you're maneuvering around in a tight RV park and can steer the coach with you pinky finger, all with a turn of the knob.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #25

PDR John is right, you can effectively disable the system by turning the knob so that the sensitivity is gone and then its good old fashioned steering. I'm also a cynical critic of all of this new technology, but if Comfort Drive bothers you then by all means, do NOT fly commercial, the computer "HAL" will be in control for most, if not all of the flight. Elevators and commuter trains are also out,very little human intervention there as well.

If you read my earlier posts on this thread, you will see that assisted driving is becoming more prevalent in the auto world.

I'm not quite sure how it's going to work out in the long run either.

I guess " We're not in Kansas anymore Toto"
Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I say embrace it! I can't wait for the day when my vehicles are capable of "driving me" to my destination so I can enjoy the views, take pictures, maybe a nap along the way, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love to drive my coach and if I want to drive, I will. I just really think the automatic driving systems are not that far away and hopefully they'll adapt to RV's not too long afterwards. I could command it to bring me to the Keys on a Friday evening and be there early Sunday morning with only two fuel stops I'd have to tend to
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
I have driven both and really don't see it as a big deal. No offense to those who have it and like it. I have heard the stories about how much better it is in the wind and when trucks pass and in the rv park, etc, etc. I personally think it probably is a bigger deal on a non tag axle rv. Driving a Cornerstone, I have had precisely zero issues in any of the above cases. If you feel the need to have it - great - buy a Newmar. If not, buy anything you want.

I was in sales for over 35 years and I might have just a little perspective on the sales process. If you are selling a product that has a feature, any feature, that you competitor does not have, you SELL it.

What other feature does Newmar really have to sell against Entegra? Hung wall construction? No. Better insulation? No. A better chassis? No. Better customer service? No. Maybe a better warranty? No. A lower price? NO! Comfort Drive? Houston, we have lift off!

Newmar makes a tremendous product and my DW and I looked at both the Essex and the King Aire before making our decision. Both were nice but, not our cup of tea. We just like the Entegra a bit more. It is why they have chocolate AND vanilla.

So ultimately, it boils down to suits each one of us. I suggest that a prospective buyer look at multiple lines. There are a lot of nice coaches out there. Yes, they should definitely drive them before making a choice.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
PDR John is right, you can effectively disable the system by turning the knob so that the sensitivity is gone and then its good old fashioned steering. I'm also a cynical critic of all of this new technology, but if Comfort Drive bothers you then by all means, do NOT fly commercial, the computer "HAL" will be in control for most, if not all of the flight. Elevators and commuter trains are also out,very little human intervention there as well.

If you read my earlier posts on this thread, you will see that assisted driving is becoming more prevalent in the auto world.

I'm not quite sure how it's going to work out in the long run either.

I guess " We're not in Kansas anymore Toto"
I am very familiar with automation in airplanes but that is kinda different.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote