Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
I have driven both and really don't see it as a big deal. No offense to those who have it and like it. I have heard the stories about how much better it is in the wind and when trucks pass and in the rv park, etc, etc. I personally think it probably is a bigger deal on a non tag axle rv. Driving a Cornerstone, I have had precisely zero issues in any of the above cases. If you feel the need to have it - great - buy a Newmar. If not, buy anything you want.

I was in sales for over 35 years and I might have just a little perspective on the sales process. If you are selling a product that has a feature, any feature, that you competitor does not have, you SELL it.

What other feature does Newmar really have to sell against Entegra? Hung wall construction? No. Better insulation? No. A better chassis? No. Better customer service? No. Maybe a better warranty? No. A lower price? NO! Comfort Drive? Houston, we have lift off!

Newmar makes a tremendous product and my DW and I looked at both the Essex and the King Aire before making our decision. Both were nice but, not our cup of tea. We just like the Entegra a bit more. It is why they have chocolate AND vanilla.

So ultimately, it boils down to suits each one of us. I suggest that a prospective buyer look at multiple lines. There are a lot of nice coaches out there. Yes, they should definitely drive them before making a choice.

I agree 100%. In our early shopping and "comparing " days.. Newmar was the leader as far as floorplans went. I was fine with spending more to get what we wanted first time out. A big point for us was heated flooring. We will be using our rig in mild winter conditions (10-40 degrees on average) We really liked entegra for that as standard and moist radiant verses electric.. Although I thought electric beneath the floor would be fine. I digress..... When shopping i asked about the heated floor in Newmars .. Was told optional not standard. All along the salesman would tote the marvelous Comfort Drive any time an issue in difference was found . We felt he was steering( no pun intended&#128514us away from our problems. We ultimately chose Entegra over NewMar not only for the standard options and price point but more for the fact our Entegra Salesman did not try to sway our decision based solely on a feature we did not really want or need.(well not entirely tru.. Ipad controls were mentioned... No thank you.. Drop the price.. I have an ipad).

Darn it.., rambling again. I guess my point is the individual will know weather the comfort Drive is a must have selling point or not. Had i not convinced wd that double sinks in vanity with bath/1/2 New mar would have scored points but still would have lost over the flooring heat issue. I do believe that could bite them on the butt as many travel with pets they love and not all Rv'ers chase the sun 24/7. Well i speak for us anyway. Ultimately my babies warm feet won over the need for a steering system i was uncomfortable with .. I like to "feel " wheel movement. As another poster stated.. The system can be disabled for those who like traditional feel..another point in the why do i need it column,But thats only imo.

On a more positive note.. Our build order is on hold for 6 months or so (medical issues) but our time frame just might put us in a 2014 cornerstone as opposed to 2015 Anthem. Assuming our model is out there.. And i know they sell fast.That would sure be nice to tell sick Dw she has her sinksx2
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
OK, I have hesitated to remark on Comfort drive, but can't help myself...it was OK, it was not a deal breaker for me. I drove it about 20 miles in various driving conditions, scared the crap out of the salesman trying several things including slight and high movement maneuvers that you might experience on the road. I didn't like the full ("6") mode of Comfort Drive mode. I want to feel the road a little. And please don't say..."you didn't drive it enough miles"... I am an "Iron Butt" when it comes to long drives. I just came off a 2800 mile trip in the toad for an high priority trip back to the midwest and did it in 46 hours.

I have driven my previous Anthem 660 mile days and just drove my new CS 480 miles leaving at 1:30 PM, and other than being a little stiff kneed (not a steering issue) in the Anthem, my shoulders and arms weren't tired and I got along just fine. 50 of that 480 were in 25 mph crosswinds (no doubt made easier by the air leveling).

So I see the value of Comfort Drive to some. It is a great marketing tool (what is Newmar going to fall back on when Entegra adds it in 2017, if they do, which I doubt, and Newmar looses the marketing tool...it is being considered). For me, I'll take quiet ride, superior insulation, and the Hadley System on my CS as opposed to LA that I recently sold off against as I made my decision...at a better price point. All, JMHO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
One thing is clear to me. Entegra should add Comfort Drive as soon as Newmar's exclusive ends. That would end this conversation, and just might entice me and others to trade up to a new Entegra.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
X2. It'd be real interesting to read the forums if that announcement came out. I think then the value/price war would go nuclear.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #33

Would really liven up the place, wouldn't it?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #34

[QUOTE=RRDefector;2197824]. We will be using our rig in mild winter conditions (10-40 degrees on average) We really liked entegra for that as standard and moist radiant verses electric..

Really? Mild Winter conditions?

In Florida we call thet the Frozen Tundra.
ItsWhatWeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #35

😂 3500 feet Appalachians . Hate to say it but after 35 years... I'm some with Florida heat.. I think there is still someNew England blood in there some where
Old 08-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #36

Nor'easters Club
[QUOTE=ItsWhatWeDo;2198252]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
. We will be using our rig in mild winter conditions (10-40 degrees on average) We really liked entegra for that as standard and moist radiant verses electric..

Really? Mild Winter conditions?

In Florida we call thet the Frozen Tundra.

In New England we call that Spring and Fall.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
OK, I have hesitated to remark on Comfort drive, but can't help myself...it was OK, it was not a deal breaker for me. ...
Personally, I think CD is "nice" but I came from a 39' gasser with a tail wag that was horrible to a 43' DP. I was/am in HEAVEN with that upgrade! I'm not quite an "iron butt" on a regular basis like Dave but then again, I am not afraid to put in 6 hours in the saddle either. I am quite happy without CD.

I think CD becomes progressively a better deal as the length of the coach gets shorter. A 38' coach with a single rear axle will probably see more of an improvement than even a 40' with a tag as comes with Newmar products. Yes, it does a couple nifty tricks like auto centering the wheels but that isn't a critical aspect to me either.

I really hate marketing and arguing that CD is "the" reason to pick a coach. Behind floor plan, options to make living in them optimal and such, it is near the end of my list of priorities. In the great, ongoing, never ending debate of Entegra vs Newmar vs whomever the most important thing is quality of product and getting what we want in floor plan and those options. Of course, this assumes the chassis is solid in providing a platform to move our homes around but lets not litigate that here.

To me, the only way to truly determine the value of CD is to make it an OPTION. Let folks decide if the cost is worth the feature's benefit. I know, I know...some will say that is unrealistic and problematic for the supplier. It will also be problematic for dealers that can order showroom stock but for those that or ordering a unit it may be something they would choose to not pay for. OH WELL...LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One other point...kinda the way humans deal with conflict. LOL

Those that can't have CD are seeming to be the ones more likely to say the don't care. Those that have it are the ones saying it is important enough to have it.

Every one of us wants to support what we bought because we tend to defend our choices. It is human nature to bolster our ego by saying we did it the best. In effect, we tend to drink the Cool-Aid of our choice and go back to that flavor when the cup need to be refilled.

Just saying that given some of the parity in the MH industry the X vs Y discussions (sometimes arguments) are like
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #39

You know... I have read all these threads that mention CD (Comfort Drive) and IFS (not sure what that stands for)... It really is all confusing to me..

I've owned two coaches in my life..

The first was a 95 HR Vacationer... It didn't have CD or IFS.. It did have DW1.0... and DW1.0 was not a well developed option at the time.. in fact, DW1.0 did not interact with the HR in anyway.. Let alone any driving assistance.. I eventually had to dump DW1.0... it was sad... but I was still able to keep the HR Vacationer..

Luckily, I was able to purchase my next rig... a 12 Itasca Sunstar... Now that coach was upgraded with a new system called GF2.0... and let me tell you... GF2.0 is awesome.. I personally recommend EVERYONE upgrading to one of those (some may want to consult with DW1.0 BEFORE upgrading into GF2.0 (I've heard they don't always work/play well together))..

I will say, I have driven in the new rig for up to 6 hours in all kinds of conditions.. crosswinds.. crowned roads.. torrential rain... traffic and didn't even feel like I touched the wheel.. It was the MOST pleasurable driving experience I have ever had in an RV and I will match my GF2.0 against anyone's CD or IFS...

All I can say is... If CD and/or IFS can let me get up and take a nap... make a sandwich and/or go to the bathroom like I can with GF2.0, I'd be on board right away..

I'm not sure I will ever own another coach with DW1.0.. I'll have to see how GF2.0 works before I do any kinda upgrading.. but right now.. GF2.0 is working flawlessly and I don't see a reason for an upgrade just yet..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Thanks for the laugh !!! You made my day !!
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
One other point...kinda the way humans deal with conflict. LOL

Those that can't have CD are seeming to be the ones more likely to say the don't care. Those that have it are the ones saying it is important enough to have it.

Every one of us wants to support what we bought because we tend to defend our choices. It is human nature to bolster our ego by saying we did it the best. In effect, we tend to drink the Cool-Aid of our choice and go back to that flavor when the cup need to be refilled.

Just saying that given some of the parity in the MH industry the X vs Y discussions (sometimes arguments) are like
Very well put Sky_Boss.

1. Folks who own Comfort Drive are quick to sing it's praises, as are we (100,000 miles in non-Comfort Drive coaches - we "know the difference").

2. We agree with you that a lot of the folks who are unsure about it, have never spent any real time with it - and it does take real time in the seat to see the benefit of day after day driving with this system.

3. The group that we haven't heard very much from are those that own Comfort Drive and feel that it adds little or no value, and are disappointed with their purchase. These forums tend to discuss pluses and minuses of coach features, and it is interesting that no current Comfort Drive owners are airing their complaints about the system. I would like to hear from them.

Comfort Drive is going to be available to more manufacturers soon, and it is going to be fun to watch the posts, as more people are exposed to the actual difference it makes in your driving day.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #42

I made the jump to Newmar and CD had nothing to do with it. It just came down to fit and finish not just on the shiny side but behind all the glitz as well. Also being able to make changes in my order was a bonus
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote