Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

Comfort drive?

Newmar sales people tell me I should buy a Newmar rather than Entegra because of the comfort drive. I think the comfort drive is a gimmick. I have driven Audis, Porsches ,BMWs and Mercedes. None have comfort drive. I have also driven several motor homes including a Marathon on the Prevost chassis. None have had comfort drive. If it is such a good idea why haven't more manufacturers installed it? What happens if you have comfort drive and are using two fingers on the wheel and you have a blow out on the front? I want to feel I have control.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #2

I think you're asking in the wrong area.

If you have a blow out, you'll know it. There is no masking that.

Newell is using it, not that it would matter.

Where it comes in is when you have a steady side wind. I didn't think it was doing anything when I first drove our coach. 200 miles later when I pulled over to do a walk around, I didn't even know the wind was blowing that hard.

Simply stated; it works.

Now, as to it being the sole reason to buy a coach, no.

I got the exact coach I wanted (floorplan, engine, etc..) and it came with comfort drive, bonus for me.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #3

Not a gimmick. Works well. Really appreciate it with side winds and crowned roads. Is it essential? I think not. Drove my Cornerstone 225 miles home last night and feel that it handled every bit as good, if not better, than my Ventana. Not an apples to apples comparison as the Ventana did not have IFS or a Tag. Not fair comparing an entry level DP with a top-line DP of another. Also, the roads were good and little wind.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms911 View Post
Newmar sales people tell me I should buy a Newmar rather than Entegra because of the comfort drive. I think the comfort drive is a gimmick. I have driven Audis, Porsches ,BMWs and Mercedes. None have comfort drive. I have also driven several motor homes including a Marathon on the Prevost chassis. None have had comfort drive. If it is such a good idea why haven't more manufacturers installed it? What happens if you have comfort drive and are using two fingers on the wheel and you have a blow out on the front? I want to feel I have control.
Lessee...what's the coefficient of drag on a 911 or any other sporty cars/sedans, compared to the Cd of a 30,000 pound motor home? I've owned Porsches, Audis, BMWs, and MBs, driven the autobahn in Germany foot to the floor, raced Cobras (real ones) and they handle totally differently than a BIG BRICK going down the road. Want control? I'd humbly suggest that the "comfort drive" would certainly be of benefit, if not the primary reason to purchase the Newmar.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms911 View Post
You should buy the coach that you like and if you get a Newmar, you will probably like the Comfort Drive. The only way to really know would be to drive 2 similar coaches (one with Comfort Dive and one without) on the same route with a crosswind within a few days of each other and see if the difference is worth anything to you. But that kind of comparison would be difficult to actually pull off. We've driven well over 100k miles in Non-Comfort Drive coaches and lived to tell about it.

As far as it being a "gimmick" and not available in High end cars, that's all changing. My new MB S63 will drive itself for short periods of time at highway speeds (hands and feet free and around corners) and will drive it self indefinitely at slow and traffic jamb speeds. That's actually Comfort Drive on steroids- you can check it out on YouTube. Since the MB S-Class has historically been a portal from which new technology enters the Auto market, you can expect the other brands you mentioned to soon be looking at active steering management and it could eventually trickle into the RV market as well.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

Just what the world and highways need... Another excuse to take eyes off the road. Nice to know one day I'll be able to get up and make coffee anytime i want...
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #7

Ill drive the "old fashioned" way... I dont mind😂
Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

Comfort Drive was a deciding factor for me in the beginning.. One of many between Newmar/Entegra. Although the comfort drive was noticeably different than the Entegra in wind( blowing same day i drove both) i didn't find it to be a downer in entegra. The other aspect was in the Newmar if i want the front wheels at 45 degrees.... Id like them to stay there until I'm ready to change. To each their own i suppose. I chose entegra.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
Ill drive the "old fashioned" way... I dont mind😂
The "old fashioned" way - is that without power steering/power brakes/automatic transmissions and so on? Progress makes life easier, allowing you more control than the "good old days".

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #10

Agree... Different levels of old fashioned. Not looking to pull the coach with a horse either
Old 08-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
Just what the world and highways need... Another excuse to take eyes off the road. Nice to know one day I'll be able to get up and make coffee anytime i want...
I look at it way differently!!

It's actually a safety feature to protect us from those people who do take their eyes off of the road. No different than the new technology that tells a driver that another vehicle is next to him/her in a blind spot and the technology that notifies a driver if they're drifting out of their lane. If new technology can save me from that texting driver ( that we all see as we pass by them in our coaches) then I'm all for it!!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #12

I'm not disagreeing... Agree 100%. Different strokes for different folks. Im just in a "distraction a bad thing camp" dont use overhead tv while moving either.. Buts thats just me. Tech is good and not going away. As I said. Comfort drive has value. Not a gimmick at all. Just not worth 40k to me.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #13

Lol... On the same token.. If it were standard in my Entegra... I wouldn't be ripping it out😂😂
Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Newmar still has the exclusive on Comfort drive with Spartan and Freightliner. I believe it ends with Spartan in about a year. After that you will probably see it on Entegras in some form or fashion.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote