Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Confessions of a Newbie

Time to fess up. The following are a few of the mistakes (read, dumb things) that I have done in the first 6 months of owning my first motorhome. I list these in the hope that someone else won't have to make the same ones.

1. We have a 2013 Anthem DLQ --the drivers side slide in the b/r is right behind the bay where one services the water and sewer, it is also the perfect height that when you finish serviceing said water and sewer and take off to hook up your toad with your head down, or cap on it will take you to your knees and you can be covered in your own blood. Eight staples in the top of the head later, and I have only run into it 2 or 3 times since (my wife says for me that is learning).

2. The person at Lazy Days that teaches the course in how to drive these things says that 90% of all coach accidents occur while backing up---BELIEVE HIM---when Dear Wife say " Would you like for me to get out and watch for you?" --Swallow that manly pride and say "YES DEAR!" That's all I,m telling about this one (I'm sure my insurance is going to go up next year).

3. I have pulled large (10 horse) trailers all over Texas and Colorado and was pretty sure I would not have a lot of issues with the coach --what I didn't reckon with is how long these things are. Pulling into a "regular" parking lot to get air in my tires before a trip I made my turn and noticed that the "apron" going into the lot was slightly up hill, well, when my front tires had cleared that uphill grade my back tires were still on the down hill side. You know how alot of folks have made mention that they don't like where the exhaust for the Aqua Hot is and that it makes the 50 amp. cord hot ---well, I don't have to worry about that anymore. Yep, took the whole exhaust right off that baby!!! Just picked it up, threw it in the back of the truck. Exhaust now goes straight back under the coach--I kinda like it that way Also, be aware that there are a number of parking lots that have "dips" when you enter and they will make your trailer hitch drag and if your safety cables are below said hitch you can cut them in half.

4. Make SURE your air bags are FULLY inflated before leaving ( a size 315 front Michelin tire cost $864.00). Also, if you are having to back up and pulling forward several times to get into a space be sure and watch your air pressure gauges as the back and forth on the brake will release air.

5. If you have your awnings out don't let snow or rain build up on them. You may not be a lucky as I was and have a man in the campground that has a water pump so you can get on the top of your coach and pump out water and scrape snow off of said awnings before you can retract it.

6. Make sure you know the EXACT height of your coach. Then be very aware of signs that tell you when there is a low bridge in your near future (cars honking, unhooking toad, turning 44' 11" coach around in 50' space, worst of all--wife saying "I told you to take the other exit").

7. This one makes me feel really stupid. Get a REALLY GOOD---REALLY SOFT BRUSH to wash your coach with. Twenty bucks may seem like a lot for a commercial grade brush, but it doesn't even compare to $800.00 for a compound and wax job to take out the scratches! Good part is the coach shines like a new penny and all is well.

8. When you get ready to leave your site pretend you are about to take a flight and the flight attendant says "please move all seat backs to the upright and forward position" ---if you don't do that when the slides move in you can turn your captains chairs into rocking chairs---only thing is they don't rock back and forth they rock side to side!!! I want to tell you these motors that move our slides are some kind of powerful, that sucker never even slowed down. I have an appointment this Friday to have my drivers chair repaired

Well, That's all for now, but stay tuned, because I am sure I haven't done all of the dumb things I can do yet. But, even with all of this, Judy and I are enjoying this life in our new Entegra more than we could ever imagined and we thank God everyday for the folks that we have meet and the ones that we are going to

iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are a brave man. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully some will learn from your experiences.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

Lol. Chuck you have not even started making mistakes you could make! You are doing great and best of all you are having fun , seeing things and meeting new folks. Have fun my friend!
Ann n Gene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for sharing. I hit a mailbox with my passenger side mirror the first time I took my rig out. The mailbox was on a cast iron pole. It stayed intact. My side view mirror shattered. $300 for a new side view mirror. Live and learn.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Unfortunately some of these sound really familiar.I just want say which ones but,we have all been there.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Great read, Quail Hunter! I've seen quite a few homes bottomed out and stuck in dips like you mention which made me think...what is preventing a "raise" feature on the rear airbags of diesel/air capable class a's in such situations? I spec'd such a feature on my last 2 Peterbilts and it's saved my bacon many times in difficult maneuvering. All it consists of is the valve, air lines and the switch on the dash. One would have to take care and not forget it raised or that would be another addition to your list probably.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

Experiences

They say there are those who have and those that will!!!!!!! Noel
Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

Post of the year!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Oh! So you haven't pulled in the slide in living room with a briefcase behing the drivers seat. Did i forget to say a laptop was inside. Operative word is was.
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsgolf View Post
Oh! So you haven't pulled in the slide in living room with a briefcase behing the drivers seat. Did i forget to say a laptop was inside. Operative word is was.
Yup, did the exact same thing! Computer was 2 weeks old. Dw took away my opening, closing slide privileges!
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I had my rv shore power cord hooked up inside the garage. I forgot to unplug it as a drove thru our town. I was driving solo, but was still wondering why I would get a honk or two as I made my way to the freeway....O must be a lot of friendly people out today...I was thinking. I was just about to get on the freeway and my wife who was in her car a few vehicles behind calls me on my cell. "Hey dumb A_ _ did you forget to do something". No, I got my Rv keys, beer, I locked the house, wallet...WHY? CuZ your dragging the 25' power cord. O Crap....No wonder people seemed friendly....I lucked out...besides the embarrassment there wasn't any damage. I pulled it about 2-1/2 miles....I will never do that again.....I will check and double check from now on....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
Thanks for sharing your experience quailhunter. We expect to pick up our first 5th wheel trailer (37') next month. We are a bit apprehensive to say the least. We have experience with a Chev 2500 crew cab long bed with a 3-horse slant horse trailer with small living quarters. That was a long rig, but not nearly as wide and tall as our first 5th wheel will be (not to mention heavy). If we don't learn from your lessons that will be our fault. Hopefully we are quick study's! I like your handle, I used quailcatcher on the cb radio back in the 70's. Fun to hunt, delicious to eat!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #13

Been there too! Now we have a small piece of paper that says "CHAIRS" attached covering the switches controlling the 2 forward slides, held on by tape on the top of the paper

Its a matter of lifting the paper to access the switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by iquailhunter View Post

8. When you get ready to leave your site pretend you are about to take a flight and the flight attendant says "please move all seat backs to the upright and forward position" ---if you don't do that when the slides move in you can turn your captains chairs into rocking chairs---only thing is they don't rock back and forth they rock side to side!!! I want to tell you these motors that move our slides are some kind of powerful, that sucker never even slowed down. I have an appointment this Friday to have my drivers chair repaired
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Angry While we're confessing

I have proven that the slide motor is way overpowered compared to what is required to remove a cabinet door. Rubber bands now keep the doors closed when I hit curbs....

Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags