Time to fess up. The following are a few of the mistakes (read, dumb things) that I have done in the first 6 months of owning my first motorhome. I list these in the hope that someone else won't have to make the same ones.
1. We have a 2013 Anthem DLQ --the drivers side slide in the b/r is right behind the bay where one services the water and sewer, it is also the perfect height that when you finish serviceing said water and sewer and take off to hook up your toad with your head down, or cap on it will take you to your knees and you can be covered in your own blood. Eight staples in the top of the head later, and I have only run into it 2 or 3 times since (my wife says for me that is learning).
2. The person at Lazy Days that teaches the course in how to drive these things says that 90% of all coach accidents occur while backing up---BELIEVE HIM---when Dear Wife say " Would you like for me to get out and watch for you?" --Swallow that manly pride and say "YES DEAR!" That's all I,m telling about this one (I'm sure my insurance is going to go up next year).
3. I have pulled large (10 horse) trailers all over Texas and Colorado and was pretty sure I would not have a lot of issues with the coach
--what I didn't reckon with is how long these things are. Pulling into a "regular" parking lot to get air in my tires before a trip I made my turn and noticed that the "apron" going into the lot was slightly up hill, well, when my front tires had cleared that uphill grade my back tires were still on the down hill side. You know how alot of folks have made mention that they don't like where the exhaust for the Aqua Hot is and that it makes the 50 amp. cord hot ---well, I don't have to worry about that anymore. Yep, took the whole exhaust right off that baby!!! Just picked it up, threw it in the back of the truck. Exhaust now goes straight back under the coach--I kinda like it that way
Also, be aware that there are a number of parking lots that have "dips" when you enter and they will make your trailer hitch drag and if your safety cables are below said hitch you can cut them in half.
4. Make SURE your air bags are FULLY inflated before leaving ( a size 315 front Michelin tire cost $864.00). Also, if you are having to back up and pulling forward several times to get into a space be sure and watch your air pressure gauges as the back and forth on the brake will release air.
5. If you have your awnings out don't let snow or rain build up on them. You may not be a lucky as I was and have a man in the campground that has a water pump so you can get on the top of your coach and pump out water and scrape snow off of said awnings before you can retract it.
6. Make sure you know the EXACT height of your coach. Then be very aware of signs that tell you when there is a low bridge in your near future (cars honking, unhooking toad, turning 44' 11" coach around in 50' space, worst of all--wife saying "I told you to take the other exit").
7. This one makes me feel really stupid. Get a REALLY GOOD---REALLY SOFT BRUSH to wash your coach with. Twenty bucks may seem like a lot for a commercial grade brush, but it doesn't even compare to $800.00 for a compound and wax job to take out the scratches! Good part is the coach shines like a new penny and all is well.
8. When you get ready to leave your site pretend you are about to take a flight and the flight attendant says "please move all seat backs to the upright and forward position" ---if you don't do that when the slides move in you can turn your captains chairs into rocking chairs---only thing is they don't rock back and forth they rock side to side!!! I want to tell you these motors that move our slides are some kind of powerful, that sucker never even slowed down. I have an appointment this Friday to have my drivers chair repaired
Well, That's all for now, but stay tuned, because I am sure I haven't done all of the dumb things I can do yet. But, even with all of this, Judy and I are enjoying this life in our new Entegra more than we could ever imagined and we thank God everyday for the folks that we have meet and the ones that we are going to