Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Controlling the volume on the 2019 CMS

For those that would like a volume control on the 2019 cms (collision mitigation system), it is possible. The glass dash is mounted in a metal box which is then mounted to the dash. In the back of that metal box is mounted 2 - 2” speakers. Each are wired with a red(+) and black(-)wire. I spliced in a dual potentiometer as a volume control. Now my cms verbal alert is infinitely adjustable all the way to off. The caveats are the 2 speakers control all of the audio cues that come out of the glass dash. The video cues are still there. I tested to see if each speaker was controlling different systems but they seem to be redundant, at least for the cms. In other words, killing one speaker only made the noise from the cms slightly less annoying.
The project is relatively easy. You remove the the bezel that holds the glass dash in the dash. Then there are several wires that attach to the glass dash that must be removed. All the wires with the exception of a cat 5 line(pay attention to which outlet that one fits in)have unique connectors that can only be installed one way so it isn’t as big a deal as it first seems. Once disconnected, you can move the glass dash to a work area.
6 screws remove the glass dash from the bezel and another 6 screws separates the glass dash from the metal box. When that is done, it exposes the 2 speakers and the wires that are attached. At that point it is just a matter of splicing in the dual potentiometer with enough wire to mount the switch where you would like.
I can now drive down the road in peace and quite, the way the quietest, best handling coach should!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	234635
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, that is really creative thinking. Nice job and a great share, thanks you.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #3

Gary

Brilliant..... knew that there had to be a way, and you figured it out. Congratulations!! When you say that it is a dual potentiometer, do you remember what ohm range the potentiometer is, or where you got it. I assume by dual, you mean that there are two separate pots on the same shaft, and you adjust them both at the same time. Do you have a part number or source? Also, did you inset the pots in series with the speakers and did you insert in the red or black wires.... probably does not matter but thought that I would ask.

I see that an adjustable volume is now one of the features of the 2020 Cornerstones. I am betting that there is a software way to deal with it also, but I would be happy to have a hardware way to deal with it now. But thanks for leading the way on this one.... the buzzer on these 2019s is way way way too loud. Now, I have discovered that there is a much louder buzzer that is associated with the shut down alarm which really does get your attention and probably needs to remain very loud.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Gary

Brilliant..... knew that there had to be a way, and you figured it out. Congratulations!! When you say that it is a dual potentiometer, do you remember what ohm range the potentiometer is, or where you got it. I assume by dual, you mean that there are two separate pots on the same shaft, and you adjust them both at the same time. Do you have a part number or source? Also, did you inset the pots in series with the speakers and did you insert in the red or black wires.... probably does not matter but thought that I would ask.

I see that an adjustable volume is now one of the features of the 2020 Cornerstones. I am betting that there is a software way to deal with it also, but I would be happy to have a hardware way to deal with it now. But thanks for leading the way on this one.... the buzzer on these 2019s is way way way too loud. Now, I have discovered that there is a much louder buzzer that is associated with the shut down alarm which really does get your attention and probably needs to remain very loud.

Gary
I used a 10K audio style dual pot potentiometer. I was really guessing on which to use. While the one I used works fine, it is a little too linear in its operation. All the adjustment is in about 35% of the dial. Someone smarter than me could probably offer a more appropriate switch.
I would guess also that the 2020 solution is probably software. It would be great if it were backwards compatible but I’m not holding my breath!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Very good Gary, I need to do the same for the cup holders on our 2018. At night the red ring lights around the cup folders get a little bright, and they are NOT part of the dash lights..
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
I used a 10K audio style dual pot potentiometer. I was really guessing on which to use. While the one I used works fine, it is a little too linear in its operation. All the adjustment is in about 35% of the dial. Someone smarter than me could probably offer a more appropriate switch.
I would guess also that the 2020 solution is probably software. It would be great if it were backwards compatible but I’m not holding my breath!

Potentiometers come in various "tapers". Without puns, it sounds like you have an audio taper when you might have preferred linear. They're cheap enough that you can order another and replace at your leisure.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Potentiometers come in various "tapers". Without puns, it sounds like you have an audio taper when you might have preferred linear. They're cheap enough that you can order another and replace at your leisure.
Since we are controlling an audible sound thru speakers, wouldn’t an audio potentiometer be better than a linear?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

Anyone know if the 2018 Cornerstone CMS has an external speaker?
wade5979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade5979 View Post
Anyone know if the 2018 Cornerstone CMS has an external speaker?

Unfortunately, it doesn’t.