Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Convert DirecTV to Dish TV

Looking for a thread about this conversion. I remember reading a thread about it that had great pics and procedures. I thought I had bookmarked/subscribed to the thread but can't find it.
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did it, but it involved all new equipment at home and for the motorhome.
New RF Mogul dish and controller, new LNB and hub in the MH. New dish and wiring in my home for a Hopper 3 and 3 wireless Joey's. I just pack the Hopper and 2 Joey's out to the MH when leaving.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Here was Rob's excellent how do but the photos are now gone. Might try his website to find the instructions http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/dish...ml#post3299228
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Chuck!!

Couldn't find pics on website.
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
If you’re converting a DirecTV dish, it’s as simple as ordering the conversion from Winegard.
If you have a hoper 3 , you will need to either upgrade your LNB (Amazon) or get the DPH42 switch.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Convert DirecTV to Dish TV

Check out this website:
https://outsideourbubble.com/update-...avler-upgrade/
It was very helpful for me!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
If you’re converting a DirecTV dish, it’s as simple as ordering the conversion from Winegard.
If you have a hoper 3 , you will need to either upgrade your LNB (Amazon) or get the DPH42 switch.

KennyGolub is correct. Kit from Winegard is just north of $300, and it is a DIY project although I gave a guy money and he did it for me. About 2 hours labor. I am delighted with Dish, and for better service I am paying about $60 a month less, so my initial outlay will be recovered soon.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

At least for the past month, Winegard is "out of stock on their OE changeover kit from Direct to Dish". I recently completed about 70% of that task on my Cornerstone yesterday but it started to rain and now the temp is below freezing so it will stay uncompleted for a while. The OE item for some reason is out of stock at Winegard. It is nothing but the two kits that are really needed (RS-11 and RS-21) but for a while was less expensive than buying the two kits separately, which are still available from several sources including Amazon. I bought the separate kits about a week ago. The change over process is well described from Winegard, and I have about a 10 page step by step with lots of pix that I got from them that I will post up here if I can get it scanned quickly.

I will also put a complete list of tools that were needed for this operation up here also. Its one thing to get on the roof and off once and you dont want to do it any more times than absolutely needed. Make sure you have a helper that can find tools that you forgot and get them up to you in a bucket and a rope.

OK, here is the OE step by step I got from Winegard... it is designed for an OEM who is replacing or converting so it has information you dont need such as how to return equipment to Winegard.... which you dont need.

Damn, the file is too big to upload.... let me see if I can cut it down...

OK, cut the file into two halves and this should do it. Its all there along with my notes on tools needed in some cases and some ambiguities in their instructions.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #9

Now, one final thing. The DIRECTV version set up includes two modules that are not needed once you convert to DISH. A DirecTV system has a power inserter (120 VAC power unit) and a splitter that have to be removed in a coach that has been set up for DirecTV. When set up for Direct, there is only one coax cable from the LMB (which has only one LBM) and then that one cable needs to be split into three feeds and the signal needs to be amplified before doing that. When set up for Dish Network, there are 3 LMBs and 3 coax cables so the inserter and splitter are not needed. Those cables are already wired in. Those two units to be removed are located on the ceiling of the basement in the third compartment. I had no idea what I would be looking for and asked Middlebury if they had a picture... the answer was No, but they then had someone head out to the lot or to the manufacturing line and took a pix of the two components that need to be removed, and additionally, they sent a schematic of what it looks like electrically on a schematic diagram. I will post both of those diagrams.

Then changes need to be made to the control unit inside of the coach where the control head is located.

Here is the pix and schematic....

Pay attention to pages 2 and 4. Page 2 of the schematic shows the wiring configuration for a DirecTV system and page 4 shows the same areas for a Dish Network install. I have highlighted the areas to pay attention to. Interesting.... the yellow highlights dont come through. The area to look at is near the center of the diagram and near the top.... you will see power inserter and splitter in schematic on page 2 and in the same location, they are gone. By the way, you need two small TV type coax cable double female junctions after you remove the splitter to connect up the cables. You can find them on-line, or probably at a Lowes or Home Depot.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard DirecTV power inserter and splitter to remove IMG_20191111_141808.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	479.6 KB
ID:	266634  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Schematic wiring diagrams for Direct versus Dish sat install.pdf (1.54 MB, 59 views)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
If you'd rather not mess with the basement wires and not need a DPH42, you can use this:

LNB

This may be the same thing.

However, amazon currently says it's unavailable. This is the easiest route to go. all you have to do is change the dish on the roof and replace the LNB that Winegard sends with this.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Longtime DirecTV viewer here, ignorant about Dish. What's the deal with the western arc vs eastern arc with Dish. Do they have the same or different programming? Do you need to see one or both? Does the Winegard Travler stay on one, or switch between them? Can you receive the western arc in New England or the Eastern arc on the west coast?

DirecTV has no western or eastern, just one set of satellites that is used all over the U.S.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Longtime DirecTV viewer here, ignorant about Dish. What's the deal with the western arc vs eastern arc with Dish. Do they have the same or different programming? Do you need to see one or both? Does the Winegard Travler stay on one, or switch between them? Can you receive the western arc in New England or the Eastern arc on the west coast?

DirecTV has no western or eastern, just one set of satellites that is used all over the U.S.

You can use either, but I don't know if the Winegard can. When we stayed an entire summer on a site in Ohio and before we had the Winegard, we had the Dish guy come out and plant a dish on the ground next to the camper. He couldn't get a satellite on the western arc because of trees, so he lined it up for the eastern arc where it was clear.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #13

The western and eastern arcs had different "definitions". Years ago I needed two dishes aimed different directions to get all high DEF channels at the S&B ..Now I (at home) only have one dish aimed west and it gets anything High DEF or regular. If you're not located in Nova Scotia all the time (where the dish is almost horizontal) it does not matter.

And it is a company that appears to care about mobile customers..... we shall see..... DirecTV sure as hell doesn't.....Good riddance!!!!

Gary
Old 11-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Marc, I have had DISH in MH's since the Travel Supreme going back to 2003. Never paid any attention to Easter and Western arc. Traveled both coast and always had signals.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, dish