Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cornerstone for first RV

I was at Orlando RV today dropping my Aspire for it's first big repair list and a guy next to a Cornerstone flagged down my DW. I was busy fighting traffic and unhitching the toad Jeep and describing my issues to the repair guys. This man goes on to tell us he had never owned an RV before and he had just bought a late model used Cornerstone and could I help him hook up his Jeep toad. After a few questions it became obvious he was going to destroy his Jeep so I spent about 20-30 mins trying to give him a crash course in every subject. I then got in his Jeep and showed him how to put it in neutral and connected up his Brake Buddy he had borrowed. I showed him how to connect the lights. I think he figured the dealership would help him do all this....perhaps some would. I tried to describe the safest way to leave Winter Park, FL and I recommended he leave before rush hour. I'm not judging the man, but my first RV was much smaller than a Cornerstone and I tried to study prior to attempting my first trip. I was thinking about how it would be driving down that busy road next to him. It reminded me of a person learning to fly his first flight on a F-18 on a night Cat shot.

I wished him well and actually recommended he journey to this site. I recommended he not travel far his first afternoon but he had grand plans yet today. I'm not sure some people take advice.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Kudos to you for taking the time to help him.

One handed clap to the salesman who helped him. Half a one handed clap to the tech who ran him through his coach.

I hope he does well, and we're all here to help if he'll ask...somehow, I wonder if we'll hear from him. I hope he does well.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #3

Similar Situation

After spending some quality time in a Cornerstone a couple of weeks ago, I find myself in pretty much the same boat. My bride fell in love with the Cornerstone and is reluctant to look at anything else, like, say a 42 RBQ Anthem.
My wife is a firm believer in "Go big or stay at home."

BTW, the Cat shot wouldn't be so bad, a night trap (Landing) on a moonless night would be worse.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #4

Also kudos for helping out the newbie.

We have gone the route that many have gone from a C to a 32' A gasser with no slides to a 35' gasser with three slides to a 40' A with four slides. I can not even imagine a rookie jumping into a 45' rig with a toad and heading out into traffic. That is just downright scary!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The week before we picked up our Aspire in Orlando, someone picking up a Cornerstone had not managed to make the turn out of the lot successfully. That road is awful for experienced coach drivers. Hope he put a towel down to protect the seat before heading for I-4.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #6

I wouldn't go to orlando rv anytime for anything in an Vehicle over 30 feet long. The only time we've gone there was when first shopping for a new Coach and it was terrible to get around in our car let alone an RV. Then think of going back for service after you've left there the first time. I have been in some very tight places with larger vehicles than our 45 foot coach and I wouldn't put myself or coach thru that. maybe if and when they get there new facility on the interstate, it might be different.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have been in and out of Orlando RV. It is tight. The last two times, I made it a point to depart on a Saturday morning or after 6 PM. Then it was not so bad.

That said, I used every bit of entry and exit space, and I used both lanes departing, road the white dashed line, and didn't care who was mad.

Given the above (and I bitched about the location to the staff there), I had no problems, even as a newby driver.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #8

Sad that the dealer did not care to ask the customer abut his experience before turning him lose. He should be very thankfull that Hogdriver was there, kudos to you.
We purchased our very first MH from Lazy Days, FL. Spent a week in the lot as we went over all the systems and took the drivers course, all for free. When they installed our tow package on the toad they went through the entire process of hooking and unhooking the toad.
A week isn't really long wnough for a true newbie but it goes a long way to making the experience fun. What we didn't learn there, IRV2 has filled in the gaps, and continues to do so. Thanks to all the contributors.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We went large with our 1st RV - bought a 42ft tag axle Tiffin Phaeton. That said, we are full timers so we were replacing our 2700 ft home and wanted all the comforts we were used to... we weren't interested in camping, we were looking for a new home.

Also, we attended rallys, the Escapees RV Boot Camp, and rented various trailers, class A, and diesel pushers for years prior to our purchase. We have been very happy with our purchase & very glad we didn't buy too small only to have to turn around and trade it in for something larger (at a huge cost to us).
Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #10

Funny how you acclimatize to larger and larger rigs. I'm 31 and the DW is 30, we have 3 kids, so decided last summer to rent a 17' TT Wolfpup for a weekend camping trip. Within a month we bought a 1998 22' Prowler TT that felt huge. We spent a month in that, then helped the in laws buy a 1998 Minnie Winnie 31W, which seemed ponderous and completely unnecessarily large. We ended up borrowing it for basically the last month, whereupon we decided to buy ourselves a Berkshire 390BH - now as I go through campgrounds and see the tag axle rigs, they are actually starting to look manageable! What next?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanWeGoDad View Post
Funny how you acclimatize to larger and larger rigs. I'm 31 and the DW is 30, we have 3 kids, so decided last summer to rent a 17' TT Wolfpup for a weekend camping trip. Within a month we bought a 1998 22' Prowler TT that felt huge. We spent a month in that, then helped the in laws buy a 1998 Minnie Winnie 31W, which seemed ponderous and completely unnecessarily large. We ended up borrowing it for basically the last month, whereupon we decided to buy ourselves a Berkshire 390BH - now as I go through campgrounds and see the tag axle rigs, they are actually starting to look manageable! What next?

Welcome to Entegra Envy. We are looking at going the same route. Our hang up right now is that we have two kids starting to look at colleges and with the cost of higher education, the Entegra may have to wait. With the improvements they keep on adding the units should be perfect by the time we are ready....although they're pretty darn close right now!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #12

My first RV ever was the Aspire. I am used to driving trucks with big trailers, so I managed just fine.