Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

cornerstone vs king aire

Need opinions with the new Entegra Cornerstone vs Newmar King Aire. Which one do you think is a better built coach and why?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having had two Dutch Stars and looking at Entegra's and Newmars, listening to the Entrgra salesman lie (and catching them at it) as well as touring the Newmar plant I would take a Newmar again.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Mr. D I'd like to know what the Entegra sales associates told you that were not correct......are there issues that we should know about......
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Excuse...mis-read ...King Aire very nice...but more than a Cornerstone by a bunch...yes?
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I would say the Cornerstone because after you bought it, you would still have $150,000 to $200,000 in your pocket!!
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TgovSr View Post
Mr. D I'd like to know what the Entegra sales associates told you that were not correct......are there issues that we should know about......
Told me that Entegra was the only manufacturer using hung wall construction. I know Newmar started using it way back when as our 2000 and 2002 have it plus they are still using it today.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Both nice coaches...both appear to be good companies...talked to factory reps from both at Hershey. Believe King Aire to be at a price point higher than Cornerstone...as posted on the other thread you started...the money you save would make a nice down payment on a "southern" RV "permanent" home.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

You are talking about two coaches that have a very different price point. The King Aire is a beautiful coach but comes with a much higher price tag (around 150K more) and yes the King Aire has both some upgrades and bling that is not offered on the Cornerstone. Bottom line is its all a price point decision. Yes the King Aire is the "King" of all coaches in its price point so yes if you want to spend that kind of $$$ you cant go wrong with the King Aire.....If you want to get a coach almost as nice for a big chunk of change less then the Cornerstone is the coach to get because in it's price point there is nothing else that can touch the Cornerstone.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treelog View Post
Need opinions with the new Entegra Cornerstone vs Newmar King Aire. Which one do you think is a better built coach and why?
After reading your other posts, I'm not really sure what you are asking. I see you already own a new King-Aire(beautiful coach). Is this a question about the squeaks and rattles(other post) and if Entegras have less? In terms of how each is constructed, you might want to talk to Cruzer. He has done write-ups on Entegras and I think he is about to go(if he hasn't already) to Newmar to do a story on them. He could probably tell you more than you want to know about each.
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

I have been in both plants and watched both being built. IN MY OPINION, there is no comparison on build quality, Conerstone wins hands down. The bonding process on the side walls is way better on the Entegra. The workers seemed very rushed and indifferent in the Newmar plant and much more relaxed and attention to details in the Entegra plant. The King Aire is a very nice coach and MUCH more expensive than a Conerstone with more extra features included. In addition, Newmar will work with you to do a lot more customization, a process that is very expensive and is reflected in the cost of the coach, the King Aire is hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the Entegra. Bottom line, depends on your individual preferences, budget and custom requirements. As for me, I would take the Cornerstone and buy me a spare Anthem with the difference in price, but thats just me.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, if I would bolt from a brand because of a salesman's baloney, I'd never be in an RV because I'd run out of salesman. I've seen salesman that didn't have a clue about their own product let alone the competition.

I've spent as number of days at both plants doing road tests and reviews on an Anthem and Cornerstone for RV Magazine and a Mountain Aire for Family Motor Coach and a Canyon Star toy hauler for RV Magazine. Both provided in-depth access to every area of construction, including all of the related "back rooms".

The end result is that, while construction methods vary a bit, both use hung sidewall construction and both coaches are well built. They use differing ways to get there but they both are concerned with quality. I have to give Entegra a slight edge. I think they sweat some of the details just a tad bit more and their X bracing supports help make the difference. I also like the use of exclusive Spartan chassis in Entegra although the King Aire is on the same Spartan K3 as the Cornerstone so comparing those two doesn't apply, except for the additional cross bracing.

The biggest differences I see is that Newmar does custom work. That helps you get closer to exactly what you want than an off-the-shelf floorplan with little in the way of options. However, that comes at a steep price so you really have to be willing to spend that kind of cash to achieve that. For the savings you could get a Cornerstone and drop $200 grand at a custom shop and get things done after deliveryand still break even. Or save the money and take what you get, which ain't all bad. That $200 grand could provide cash to travel in style for a long, long time.

Other than that, it's impossible to say which is "better". They are both great coaches. King Air costs more and gives you more customizing but Cornerstone saves you the money and still gives you a fantastic coach. Their style is different but that's subject to one's personal tastes so I won't even go there.

As to me, I know which one I'd rather have - a 45' Anthem.
Now, if I could only get it with the K3 chassis and that 600 HP ISX.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
First of all, if I would bolt from a brand because of a salesman's baloney, I'd never be in an RV because I'd run out of salesman. I've seen salesman that didn't have a clue about their own product let alone the competition.

I've spent as number of days at both plants doing road tests and reviews on an Anthem and Cornerstone for RV Magazine and a Mountain Aire for Family Motor Coach and a Canyon Star toy hauler for RV Magazine. Both provided in-depth access to every area of construction, including all of the related "back rooms".

The end result is that, while construction methods vary a bit, both use hung sidewall construction and both coaches are well built. They use differing ways to get there but they both are concerned with quality. I have to give Entegra a slight edge. I think they sweat some of the details just a tad bit more and their X bracing supports help make the difference. I also like the use of exclusive Spartan chassis in Entegra although the King Aire is on the same Spartan K3 as the Cornerstone so comparing those two doesn't apply, except for the additional cross bracing.

The biggest differences I see is that Newmar does custom work. That helps you get closer to exactly what you want than an off-the-shelf floorplan with little in the way of options. However, that comes at a steep price so you really have to be willing to spend that kind of cash to achieve that. For the savings you could get a Cornerstone and drop $200 grand at a custom shop and get things done after deliveryand still break even. Or save the money and take what you get, which ain't all bad. That $200 grand could provide cash to travel in style for a long, long time.

Other than that, it's impossible to say which is "better". They are both great coaches. King Air costs more and gives you more customizing but Cornerstone saves you the money and still gives you a fantastic coach. Their style is different but that's subject to one's personal tastes so I won't even go there.

As to me, I know which one I'd rather have - a 45' Anthem.
Now, if I could only get it with the K3 chassis and that 600 HP ISX.
Cruser, your pick is 45' Anthem which floor model? SL or DLQ and why?
Thanks............
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's my understanding that Newmar has not changed to hung sidewalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post

The end result is that, while construction methods vary a bit, both use hung sidewall construction and both coaches are well built. .

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treelog View Post
Well you have yourself some replies on your question..... I am both a little concerned and curious why you are asking this question though. You have stated in a prior post that you own a 2012 Newmar King Aire, so I'm not sure why you are asking this question now... I would hope you checked out every manufacture very very well before spending that kind of change on a coach.

Is the King Aire that much better then a Cornerstone, no I don't think so... I think of both units as brothers to each other with the King Aire slightly larger.

Yes both coaches are 45 foot units built on the K3 with 600hp, but Newmar goes an extra step or two and places larger front and rear axles and also larger tires under their coach, they also give you a 200 gallon fuel tank which IMO is a big plus......

These along with several other upgrades/options like
Comfort drive, full wall slides and custom work done on the assembly line are nice and something you can't get with Entegra. But with Entegra I think you get a better built coach with a little less bling, you also get a company that offers a two year warranty......

Bottom line is Entegra is new, but not so new....Jayco is still trying to figure out where they want to fit into the market place so you see constant changes to their coaches.....their popularity has taken off, but at the same time these new Entegra coaches are nothing more then the old Travel Supreme's which was known in the RV world as the builder of some of the finest custom coaches in the market place... Many of the same workers that built the Travel Supremes are building the new Entegras.....

Now if you want to step back a little further in time.... Travel Supreme was a company started by people that worked or had ties to Newmar....so when I made the comment about the Cornerstone and King Aire being like brothers, I was not far off... I don't think you will find two coach builders that mirror each other as much as Newmar and Entegra.

So which is better, an Entegra or Newmar? That is a personal choice each person has to decide on their own...Out of the big three (Tiffin, AC and Newmar) I think Newmar still builds the best overall coach.... Now understand all three of those coach brands builds a number of both gas and DP units so price points, standard equipment and available options will vary from builder to builder so that has to be considered in your final decision.

Now that said when talking about Entegra, they only offer three levels of DP units...If someone is looking for a new DP and they have the money to spend that puts them within one of Entegra's three price points then they seriously need to spend some time looking at the Entegra brand. I don't think another coach builder out there offers a better built coach or a coach with more options in the same price point that you get with the Entegra brand. So if you want a new DP and you want to get the most bang for your buck, your new coach should say Aspire, Anthem or Cornerstone on the side of the coach..... Unless you have a really fat wallet, then it should say Newell on the side....LOL