Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Cruise control and Jake Brake

Coming through Montana today, I experimented with the cruise control and Jake. Cruise control set at 63. Jake on low setting. Came down the mountains and when I hit 73 the aux brake signal came on. There was no decrease in speed nor increase in rpm at this speed. Two mph more and the retarding started...but I was already at 75, 12 mph more than I wanted. Is this others experience with the two? Can it be reprogrammed to activate at 5 mph over cruise?
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, hat is my experience. Even in stage 2, the initial engage when in cruise control may happen immediately, but doesn't do much until you're 10-15 mph over your setting. If the hills are step and there are curves, like you're going to find soon, I take the cruise off and use stage 2. It'll drop you into 24 on the tranny and start your slow. If you want, then when you touch the accelerator, it will disengage. I just find it easier that way.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #3

Dave and Beth, yeah, turning the cruise off is good for major hill areas, but I see how having the ability to regulate this would be a bonus. using the gas to engage and disengage jerks the coach. I already have a hard time reaching the peddles and rely on the cruise all the time. Today I was on i25 going to Albuquerque, it has long up and down grades but there are washes that come out of nowhere and your flying. I wish I could set how many MPH before the cruise engages the jake beak as well. I wonder if Cummings can hook up the computer and set this?
Incognito. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

It could be in your speed warning settings I have not looked, not near coach til next week.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
One thing about using the Jake brake with cruse control is you loose the most economical speed there is.....coast.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #6

Yes coasting is saving gas, but if your already cruising at 70 MPH and your headed down a hill, cruise does not engage the Jake break till your 15 MPH over the set speed your flying at 85 MPH (in excess of the 75 MPH speed rating of your michelin tires)
Incognito. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
In hilly terrain, I use cruise and aux brake. I set cruise at 60 but I'll let it run to 70+ on down hills. If it lets me go faster than I want I just hit cancel on the cruise and the aux brake works normally then I resume cruise when the down slope starts to flatten out. That way I get the "coast mileage" until human intervention is required with no herky jerky.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Pls note, I said in hilly terrain with curves where you have to maintain some semblance of control...like you are going to find in N CA, OR, Wash, and ID. I am pretty familiar with 80 downhill and down to 50 going up the next in NM. Fun, but also straight! You hit a curve with the Anthem going 70 (on a 50 curve) and I assure you, you are going to feel just a little top heavy...particularly on these "high banked" NOT roads. JMHO, of course
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Coming through Montana today, I experimented with the cruise control and Jake. Cruise control set at 63. Jake on low setting. Came down the mountains and when I hit 73 the aux brake signal came on. There was no decrease in speed nor increase in rpm at this speed. Two mph more and the retarding started...but I was already at 75, 12 mph more than I wanted. Is this others experience with the two? Can it be reprogrammed to activate at 5 mph over cruise?
Corey, I believe you can have that changed in the Allison TCM at a Allison shop to activate sooner. At 3 mph over/under, 5 mph over/under etc. Stop by a Allison dealer in your travels, it only takes a short period of time to hook the laptop up to your Coach and change the settings.
Add on: Mine is a exhaust brake, ok, same printable, My TCM is set to activate the exhaust brake at 3 mph over and shut off at 3 mph under set point. Every time you meet the set point, your transmission is going to downshift to the preselected gear to slow you, then at the "under" set point, kick off your compression brake and shift back to 6th gear. On a long hill or steep grade, this will go on and on the whole way down the hill on cruise, downshift to preselected gear, slow, off, back to 6th, and when speed picks up a bit, starts the downshift all over again. I did not like the way mine drove when the cruise control was on as it is on a lot in my travels........I had them set my transmission to stay in 6th gear, no downshift when the cruise turns my exhaust brake on, been this way for 4 year now, love it.
Another add on: Just thinking, I wonder if it was set up that way, 15 mph over, so the transmission didn't downshift, slow, up shift back to 6th, pick up a little speed, down shift.....and keep doing this shift process the whole way down a long grade? with the cruise on.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Don't try to use the cruise control for braking, you have to do it yourself. If you tap the brake to release the cruise control, the Jake brake will engage immediately. Same thing Cobbersdad is doing when he hits the cancel button. You should be anticipating the need for this. Better to initiate the braking early than late.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
I experienced the same thing when I played with it going from Miles City to Bozeman day before yesterday. it actually gave off a wierd horn sound and the dash said aux brake function. when I turned it off the sound faded away.
Swenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #12

We just came through there as well. I wonder, as suggested, the transmission can be reprogrammed to activate the jake a bit sooner and keep the speed down. I will ask around at the FMCA rally.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Don't try to use the cruise control for braking, you have to do it yourself. If you tap the brake to release the cruise control, the Jake brake will engage immediately. Same thing Cobbersdad is doing when he hits the cancel button. You should be anticipating the need for this. Better to initiate the braking early than late.

Good advise.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:13 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:
We just came through there as well. I wonder, as suggested, the transmission can be reprogrammed to activate the jake a bit sooner and keep the speed down. I will ask around at the FMCA rally.

Check in at the Allison Transmission booth...they usually have one. You can get the program guide as it's already posted on the FMCA.com website.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, cruise control