Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Current Cummins ISX Campaigns (Entegra)

Pass these on as I know some including myself sometimes choose the cheaper Speedco oil change or do it yourself approach.

There are two current campaigns from Cummins for the ISX 600 (at least that applied to my 2015 Cornerstone, vintage delivery in Aug 2014, to give you the time frame).

- ECM Update: not serious, but an update for housecleaning and engine performance

- Oil Cooler O Ring: will leak oil...and according to the Cummins people here in Albuquerque, a must do (not soonest, but get it taken care of).

FWIW
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, excellent post. After my last ECM update and what it did for the performance of my 450, I an a believer of annual computer checks and any updates

For those that travel to FL there is an excellent Cummins shop in Ocala right off of I-75. Great overnight stop with water and 50 amp. 80% of their business is MH's. Call ahead, for an afternoon or morning appointment and spend that night under the Oaks. It will be an annual stop for us from now on. Our warranty is for 5 years and computer checks are covered. They also check for any Spartan TSB's. Last time I had the TS updated, out of warranty was $99.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I have found that Rocky Mountain Cummins in Albuquerque as pretty good shop.

That said, another hub seal leak...this is getting OLD!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I have found that Rocky Mountain Cummins in Albuquerque as pretty good shop.

That said, another hub seal leak...this is getting OLD!
I know what you mean. I went through three on one wheel and finally did it myself. The two others, so far are holding. It was easier to take the 2 hours and do it correctly than to constantly schedule appointments. I know it's hard to do for a fulltimer with no place to do it.

If another wheel seal has to go into a shop, I have no problem telling them how it is suppose to be done correctly! Short cuts don't work, they leak.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Spartan indicates they now add both loctite and lock washers, on seals,per Chris in customer service.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Spartan indicates they now add both loctite and lock washers, on seals,per Chris in customer service.
I wonder if they ever talked to a real mechanic on how to replace wheels seals. That should have been doing when they had the leaking problem 3 years ago. I also used gasket seal on both side of the gasket when I replaced mine....end of problem.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I also used gasket seal on both side of the gasket when I replaced mine....end of problem.
What sealer did you use, Chuck?
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Chuck, there are no more "real mechanics". There are only "service technicians".

When I was a diesel mechanic working on trucks back in the 70s (service tech wasn't yet in the dictionary) I never had any wheel seals leak. I applied Permatex sealant to both sides of the gasket. I use Permatex Ultra Black right now and it works great. Holds up well to heat and oils on differential covers, engine timing covers, and most everything else. It does leave a mess on your hands though.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Chuck, there are no more "real mechanics". There are only "service technicians".

When I was a diesel mechanic working on trucks back in the 70s (service tech wasn't yet in the dictionary) I never had any wheel seals leak. I applied Permatex sealant to both sides of the gasket. I use Permatex Ultra Black right now and it works great. Holds up well to heat and oils on differential covers, engine timing covers, and most everything else. It does leave a mess on your hands though.
And it's already in the drawer in the shop...thanks Mark, wasn't sure if there was something special or the "usual".
Old 11-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
@Dave laughed to myself at your comment about the hub leaks, we have had driver front once and passenger front twice, decided to pass on commenting. Then went out to wipe down the rig after rain yesterday here in Arizona and found this, seriouslyLook familiar? This one is the passenger side tag, were anyone else's the tag first for us? Guess we will get to try the new Spartan fix ha!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161122_145156 (Small).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	144992  
Old 11-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
What sealer did you use, Chuck?
Same as what Mark said. Holds great, scrapes off easy if a seal has to be replaced. Use latex gloves for no mess on the hands. "Old" mechanics still know how to do things right Lock Tight and Permatex is in every tool box....."new" service techs don't even know how to spell them

I don't mean to speak ill of anyone, but maybe it will help someone else that is going through a number of wheel seals.

My 3rd P/S tag seal was replaced at Spartan's shop at Entegra. By the time we got home the wheel was covered in grease again. I removed the wheel hub and the tech had put 3 globs of Permatex at 1, 6 and 11 o'clock. All that did was hold the seal away from the hub where there was no way it could seal. I guess they have watched too many Polident commercials and think the same will work on wheel seals.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetranch View Post
@Dave laughed to myself at your comment about the hub leaks, we have had driver front once and passenger front twice, decided to pass on commenting. Then went out to wipe down the rig after rain yesterday here in Arizona and found this, seriouslyLook familiar? This one is the passenger side tag, were anyone else's the tag first for us? Guess we will get to try the new Spartan fix ha!

So make sure they check the inner seal as well to make sure it isn't leaking. Then tell them you expect them to clean the whole mass up...otherwise, you don't know if it is residual, the famous "venting" (what they told me two days after the Spartan techs at Middlebury that did mine said???!!!!), or a true leak inside/outside/or both! Just my suggestion FWIW.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Along with what Dave said, the hub cap and nut covers need to be cleaned with Parts & Brake Cleaner spray on the inside or the residual grease will continue to come out. Wiping them out does not work even though they look clean.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
So make sure they check the inner seal as well to make sure it isn't leaking. Then tell them you expect them to clean the whole mass up...otherwise, you don't know if it is residual, the famous "venting" (what they told me two days after the Spartan techs at Middlebury that did mine said???!!!!), or a true leak inside/outside/or both! Just my suggestion FWIW.
Typically, if the oil/streaks are visible on the outside of the aluminum wheel (like the picture above), the leak is from the Stemco hub. If it's on the back of the brake, its the wheel seal.

Tags
cummins, entegra