Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dash A/C not cold

We just left Entegra a few weeks ago for our 2 year AIR as the warranty expires. We had several items repaired but nothing too major.

Wouldn't you know it, now that we are about a month out of warranty, the dash A/C has quit blowing cold air. I'm wondering if the dash A/C is a Spartan (3 year) warranty item since we're out of Entegra warranty.

Also, I checked and the compressor clutch engages and spins and the evaporator fan turns on when the A/C is turned on at the dash. The hose at the evaporator doesn't get hot. So I'm thinking its either out of freon or a bad compressor. Any ideas for other simple troubleshooting ideas until I can call on Monday. (my gauges are at home, not with me - didn't think I'd need them!).
zcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Mine dash AC quit on the way home from our PDI and our 2 years were up. I had to take it to an Evens Temcon approved repair center to have it worked on as the compressor is 3 year Spartain, everything else 2 year Entegra. Long story short, RV dealer did a band aid fix, not the compressor. I paid out of pocket. The following summer the compressor locked up just out of the 3 year warranty, again out of pocket put it worked prefect ever since. Much colder than when the coach was new.
If I had it to do over again, it would have been a truck shop the knows A/C's and not an RV dealer just because they were "approved".

I purchased and inexpensive gauge kit with coolant at Walmart. At least I was able to keep the AC working most of the way home, but not well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Mine has never worked for more than a month. I carry Freon and fill it up
Capt. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The clutch engages and the evaporator fan starts when the dash A/C button is turned on.

Are there any troubleshooting areas I can look at without gauges?
zcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #5

Look at your AC compressor hoses as there has been some issues with the crimp fittings leaking.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the same issue. The expansion valve seized due to lack of use. The A.C. man recommended that the air conditioner be exercised at least once a week for 30 minutes. This is my experience.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #7

AC

I've had two problems that were easy fixes.

1. I was low on coolant. Was able to top the system off by buying the cans from Walmart. I also bought from amazon the whole set of gauges, vacuum pump etc but have not needed to use it.
2. Was told that sometimes its a valve that gets stuck. Try turning your dash to hot wait 2 minutes then turn a/c to cold for 2 minutes do this a couple times. It can un-stick the valve and is what worked for me this spring. Has been running good all summer!
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:40 AM   #8

Wink

I had to replace my original compressor after it showed an obvious leak. Started blowing warm air again w/I 2 days. Had it looked at in Bend before returning home and tech discovered a "hard o-ring" in a fitting allowing a slow leak. Works better than ever know. Spartan picked up parts and labor for both repairs after our two year factory warranty expired,
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I've had ours worked on by both Entegra and Spartan (Spartan 3 times); it never works for more than a week. I run the generator while we are on the road and that works to keep the overhead ac working. Still can get warm in the cockpit during the southern heat, so when that happens, I put a fan back in the kitchen and blow it toward the front. Sure wish our AC worked, but, I hate to try again since it has never worked and we paid almost $2,000 last time to Spartan for it to only work for half a day.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same issue with a 10 year old Alegro Bus a few years ago. Bought a kit at Wally World with a gauge and 'stop leak' refrigerant. It would work for a few months then had to add more refrigerant. After about 3-4 cans it worked for 2 full years until we sold it. Much cheaper solution if all you have is a slow leak than taking it to a repair shop.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
I had the same issue with a 10 year old Alegro Bus a few years ago. Bought a kit at Wally World with a gauge and 'stop leak' refrigerant. It would work for a few months then had to add more refrigerant. After about 3-4 cans it worked for 2 full years until we sold it. Much cheaper solution if all you have is a slow leak than taking it to a repair shop.
My A/C guy on my S&B could not find a slow and did the same thing. Two years and it did stop the leak.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaptain View Post
We just left Entegra a few weeks ago for our 2 year AIR as the warranty expires. We had several items repaired but nothing too major.

Wouldn't you know it, now that we are about a month out of warranty, the dash A/C has quit blowing cold air. I'm wondering if the dash A/C is a Spartan (3 year) warranty item since we're out of Entegra warranty.

Also, I checked and the compressor clutch engages and spins and the evaporator fan turns on when the A/C is turned on at the dash. The hose at the evaporator doesn't get hot. So I'm thinking its either out of freon or a bad compressor. Any ideas for other simple troubleshooting ideas until I can call on Monday. (my gauges are at home, not with me - didn't think I'd need them!).
Bill, I've had two issues with my dash A/C. The first time I noticed the condenser fan was not running so I checked the fuse. Fuse was good but when i pushed it back in the fan started running then quit again. Pushing and wiggling the fuse would cause the fan to come back on. Turned out where the wire, on the back side of the fuse panel, had pushed out so was not making good contact. So you might want to check that.

Second problem, fan quit running again but this time all the refrigerant had leaked out. Cummins found a leak where the hose connected to the compressor. They crimped a new fitting on the end of hose, which lasted 3 weeks, but the crimp failed. Have to wait to I get back home to have them fix it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_092029.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	257903  
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaptain View Post

Definitely a Spartan item. Just returned from Charlotte/Middlebury - Spartan repaired ours (had never worked - kept blowing compressor clutch fuse).

In our case - after 3 hours of troubleshooting, the tech found it was a simple diode in the compressor clutch assembly. Worked perfectly in our 575 mile return trip. Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Little late in the game, but I have also had a problem with dash a/c off and on for some time. The switch valve, several leaks at o rings, low Freon. Had it up and running before June trip to CO. When we left, it was blowing 55 degrees! But it didn’t last long in use and quit by the time we got to CO. Service people checked it upon return and added a pound of Freon. Apparently it holds about 3 pounds. After adding Freon, it was back blowing cold, for a week or so, then back to zero. Service bought a new expensive Freon sniffer. The sniffer detected a Freon leak or two around the compressor, not at a hose, maybe a seal, and a larger leak around either the condenser or evaporator (don’t remember which) but it is located and accessed sort of through the generator compartment hole in the firewall. To repair or replace, it seems that the entire dash must be removed! Service said they have never had an issue with a leak at this device and is not sure if that is something they want to tackle. I think taking the dash off and trying to get that device out through that tangle of wires would be a disaster waiting to happen. They have reached out to EC and Evans the manufacturer. So waiting to see what they say. Sounds like next trip may be to Indiana or Michigan!

[emoji80][emoji80][emoji80]
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, dash