RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #1

Dead batteries/float charge

Looking for some advise. All of my coach batteries on my 16 Cornerstone are dead. Read 6.4 on voltage meter. I recently purchased the unit from NIRV in Dallas but I've never really used the batteries. It's always been on the road or plugged in to 50 amps. My Magnum monitor above door reads float charging. Not sure why they are not bulk charging. Could the batteries be no longer chargeable (dead)? Both inverters underneath are flashing green so I assume they are functional. Even at float charge after being plugged in for 2 weeks with no use, wouldn't that still slowly charge them? Thoughts. Thanks. Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

Rick

I don't know how this can happen, but there is no way that you can be at 6.4 volts at the batteries and your inverters saying they are float charging.

Now, you know that your batteries (at least my batteries) are 6 volt batteries in a series/parallel configuation. I have 8 of them in my '15. So if you check voltage across one battery, you are going to see ~ 6 volts, but you have to measure across a pair of them that are in series/parallel configuation to see the 12 volts.

Did not note what year your coach is, but I wonder if that is not the issue.

I just looked back at your signature ( thanks for having a signature by the way) and you have a classic Aspire (darn, re-read your whole post, and I see that you have now upgraded to a 16, so I don't know for sure how the 16s are wired, but I assume the same logic), I see, and you definitely have your 6 volt batteries in a series / parallel configuation, just like mine. (now you need to update your signature :-)

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If you are measuring the batteries with a volt meter I think that Gary hit the nail on the head. One battery would measure 6V. If you have lights in your coach you have the full 12 volts.

By the way, when you have a chance update you sig with your new Cornerstone, congratulations.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When disconnected from power, do your lights work ?

Have you checked the settings on your charger to ensure it is matches the battery charge rate ?
Have you checked the distilled water level in your batteries ? unless they are maintenance free, constant charging may boil off the water...

good luck !
Old 08-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Here is a good way to test your batteries from PJ class and it does work, showed my bad battery on my classic. You may have to adjust instruction for a new model.

Have a full charge on your batteries, inverters reading "full charge" or "Float Charge"

Turn everything in the MH off and let the batteries rest for 1/2 an hour. After the 1/2 hour read each batter with a volt meter. Full charge is 12.9v so each battery should read no less that 6.45 Write the reading of each battery down and it's location.

Turn everything on in the MH even a hair dryer, put as much load on the batteries as you can. I ran everything microwave (with water inside) central vac, hair dryer, all TV's, coffee maker, lights etc. Let all of that run for 10 minutes or so. Test each battery with the volt meter again. Hopefully all batteries will still be in the 6.v range and each battery reading the same voltage. If one battery is .05v lower than the others, that battery is bad.

Use this chart to check the final condition of your batteries by reading the two batteries getting a 12v reading. The final reading will tell the condition of your batteries as you have just preformed a field load test.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

Great ideas! I was just checking across one battery. I'm at work now so I'll recheck tonight. Thanks everyone. Always great help here on forum. On a side note, I've tried several times to change my signature but it won't let me
Old 08-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorrick View Post
Great ideas! I was just checking across one battery. I'm at work now so I'll recheck tonight. Thanks everyone. Always great help here on forum. On a side note, I've tried several times to change my signature but it won't let me
Rick, load testing and checking each 6v battery is the correct way to find out if one is bad.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorrick View Post
Looking for some advise. All of my coach batteries on my 16 Cornerstone are dead. Read 6.4 on voltage meter. I recently purchased the unit from NIRV in Dallas but I've never really used the batteries. It's always been on the road or plugged in to 50 amps. My Magnum monitor above door reads float charging. Not sure why they are not bulk charging. Could the batteries be no longer chargeable (dead)? Both inverters underneath are flashing green so I assume they are functional. Even at float charge after being plugged in for 2 weeks with no use, wouldn't that still slowly charge them? Thoughts. Thanks. Rick
Rick,

I think as others have mentioned that you were measuring voltage across one 6v battery, thus your 6.4v reading. Your Magnum inverter panels (as well as your Onan EC-30 panel) will show system voltage along with the charge amps going into the batteries (a plus sign beside the amp reading), or the inverted AC load on the batteries (a minus sign beside the amp reading).

Now having said that I find it strange that measuring one battery at 6.4v which would be 12.8v across 2 batteries. If one of your Magnum panels was showing Float charge then the batteries should have been up around 13.6v not 12.8v.

I would check what your settings are under the SETUP button on each of your inverter panels. The settings can all be checked by pushing the SETUP button and then rotating and then pushing the rotary knob. Be careful not to rotate after the push of the rotary knob or you will change the settings. The very least should be AGM2 (located under SET 04 Battery Type) but can be improved upon with Custom settings.

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #9

Rick

I have found that there are some things that are virtually impossible to do with the iPhone app but easy as pie with a desktop accessing irv2..... not sure how you are trying to access your signature section, but try doing it from a different computer than the one that you have tried to do it from in the past.

I am logged into iRV2 with my password, and I click on the "UserCP" button at the top. It is the left most option in the green bar at the top. Then it will take you to your user page, and down the left side of the page is a list, and the 5th or 6th item down is Edit your signature, and that should let you do whatever you want to do. You need to be officially logged in.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries