RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #1

Dealer responsibility for break-in generator service on NOS inventory?

I need a reality check here.

Long story short: Bought a 2019 Aspire in late summer. 4100+ miles on the coach (must have been a lot of test drives??) and probably 100+ hours on the generator when I took ownership. I say "probably" because when I thought about servicing the generator at the end of the season it had 120 hours on it, and I know I didn't run it for more than 15-20 hours during the 2600 miles I have driven it. Discussed service schedule with the local Cummins/Onan service center (Cummins Northwest) and they asked me if the generator had had the "break-in" or initial service at 25 hours. I didn't know so I asked the dealer, who said that no, they had not done it. Now I am wondering why they didn't do it and why they didn't disclose this omission at the time of sale. Question for the forum: Am I justified in being miffed, or is this just another example of "let the buyer beware"?

As an aside, no harm, no foul with the mileage, as far as I am concerned, but how does a new unit accumulate so many miles? Maybe 2000 miles from Indiana to the west coast, but the rest? Dealership joy rides? I will be asking these questions if/when I buy a new coach again.

aeneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #2
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneaus View Post
I need a reality check here.

Long story short: Bought a 2019 Aspire in late summer. 4100+ miles on the coach (must have been a lot of test drives??) and probably 100+ hours on the generator when I took ownership. I say "probably" because when I thought about servicing the generator at the end of the season it had 120 hours on it, and I know I didn't run it for more than 15-20 hours during the 2600 miles I have driven it. Discussed service schedule with the local Cummins/Onan service center (Cummins Northwest) and they asked me if the generator had had the "break-in" or initial service at 25 hours. I didn't know so I asked the dealer, who said that no, they had not done it. Now I am wondering why they didn't do it and why they didn't disclose this omission at the time of sale. Question for the forum: Am I justified in being miffed, or is this just another example of "let the buyer beware"?

As an aside, no harm, no foul with the mileage, as far as I am concerned, but how does a new unit accumulate so many miles? Maybe 2000 miles from Indiana to the west coast, but the rest? Dealership joy rides? I will be asking these questions if/when I buy a new coach again.
The owner of the dealership used it for vacation? The dealership owner's freinds were using it? It was loaned out to a prospective buyer to try for the weekend? It was loaned to a customer who's RV was in for repair? Driven to RV shows?

All of those things happen all summer long at several boat dealers I do business with.

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #3

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Yes, buyer beware.
Do the Onan service and move on.
Enjoy your new Coach.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

It's sounds like you bought a Demo unit. It also sounds like you really didn't do very much research or ask questions at the time of purchase. Are you listed as the original owner ?
Me, personally, I'm very leary of almost new units with low miles. If it's a Demo, the dealer will normally list it as such. Otherwise, it could have been bought back due to issues, or traded in due to the owners unhappiness with the coach. I would have been asking lots of questions. Was the seller an Entegra dealer ? I have noticed from time to time that NIRVC lists an Entegra coach as a Demo. Haven't noticed that with other brands
Old 10-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #5

I suspect as mentioned above it was taken to RV shows and used the gen while there. As far as the oil change change it and move on. I’m not surprised the dealer didn’t change it. I’ve found most dealers do as little as possible on their own dime unless the buyer demands something. Of course most buyers aren’t aware of what to ask.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Looking backwards is pointless. Take care of the service and move forward. In the future a red flag on a "new" unit is having 4100 miles on it with no accompanying explanation.

It is possible that it was delivery miles and the generator was run while driving to keep it cool in transit. 4100 is a lot though.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
My 14 Anthem, I took visual delivery 2 days after it arrived at the dealer. It had 48 hours on the generator. Delivery drivers are not suppose to use them, but they do. Took it home and did the 50 hour service. I was glad it had the hours on it and all checked out before we left the dealer, one thing off my list and they used their diesel to break it in for me.

Sounds like that coach was taken to a couple of RV shows by the dealer with the mileage and generator use. Not uncommon for a left over year end coach.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
It's sounds like you bought a Demo unit. It also sounds like you really didn't do very much research or ask questions at the time of purchase. Are you listed as the original owner ?
Me, personally, I'm very leary of almost new units with low miles. If it's a Demo, the dealer will normally list it as such. Otherwise, it could have been bought back due to issues, or traded in due to the owners unhappiness with the coach. I would have been asking lots of questions. Was the seller an Entegra dealer ? I have noticed from time to time that NIRVC lists an Entegra coach as a Demo. Haven't noticed that with other brands
4,000 plus miles ???
Demo
Hopefully you got another 10 to 15 percent discount???
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
If you purchased the coach as a "year end closeout" well after the 20's have been out. That is all going to be normal for a one year old coach that has been on someones lot. They don't just sit there, the are trying to promote it and sell it, they have a lot of money tied up in it to just let it sit there.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #10

Yep, I agree. The 50 hour Onan breakin service is probably not that big a deal. If you run into a problem, then I would be back at the dealer and having a serious conversations, but for now, either do the service yourself (its easy, just oil change and filter change) and be on your way or go to Speedway or some other service and have them do it, and then move on and deal with other issues that appear.

It seems like it was used either as a demo or as Brobox has said, was run by the delivery driver the whole way to the dealer or both and then plus some.

Now, I would have concerns that you didn't look at the coach very carefully (your responsibility), or that the dealer was not particularly forthcoming with you on how those hours had been accumulated. I think you have the right to ask. I would still ask, just for your information value... What do you hear? If you don't get reasonable answers, I would rethink the relationship that I would want to have with the same dealer in the future. For example, I bought my coach from a big Texas dealer and the DW and I were treated so poorly and the coach readiness process so bad (took us a week to get off the lot due to dumb repairs) that I never took my coach back to them for any service and would never recommend them to anyone..... ever. Still won't.

And then think about telling us who the dealer is that you bought your coach from so others can be aware of interactions.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
You must have (or should have) noticed the 4100 miles at the time of purchase, so you have no gripe there. It was your decision to accept the coach with 4100 miles. (No big deal in my opinion).

The 25 hour gen service was the dealer's responsibility and I think they owe you for the cost of that service which you should do right away. But this is a minor cost. If the generator later has problems because of the late oil change (very unlikely), then the dealer should be held responsible.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #12

My last two coaches have been January purchases in order to take advantage of lower prices. On the last one, my 2017 Cornerstone, I traveled to Atlanta to get it, got an additional 9% off of NIRVC's discounted price, and I did the genny service myself. ~4000 miles on it and 88 hours on the genny. They told me up front it was the demo drive coach at the Tampa show. NIRVC also fixed some cosmetic stuff and made repairs such as replacing the washing machine in the first 72 hours I had it (stuff I found "camping" on their lot).

So far, after 2 1/2 years, it has been the most trouble free coach I've ever owned. I've made almost no repairs to it, under warranty or not. A bad gas shock and a leaky aquahot overflow hose.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #13

That’s classic “ Rv industry “ protocol and does not surprise... sad but true
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Sounds like you are not sure if the coach was used, or at the dealer on consignment. Could have been a very short ownership from someone for many reasons (Health, upgraded to a different unit, or other reasons).

I would not worry about 120 hours, just change the oil/oil filter/air filter and you should be fine. Nice coach!

Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, generator, service, vent