Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #57

Entegra Owners Club
Doing some checking for other Windows 7 program I want to load on a new Windows 10 laptop I came across this bits of information. Versions of SA prior to 2015 do not have Windows 10 drivers. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...CJ2cF6TBO81WI8
Having other programs that did work prior to a Microsoft Update, they are slowly killing off older driver programs that did not pay the licensing fee to Microsoft. It looks like Garmin might have been one to get caught in the high licensing fees for Windows 10 and pulled the plug. Just a guess.

Researching how to load a Windows 7 QuickBooks program, I found several hacks on how to load it listed on Google. There might be one for SA as well, if that helps others.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Be aware that RVTW simply uses Google Maps for routing, so it will not avoid roads or bridges/tunnels inappropriate for an RV. It also does not take into consideration height/weight limits.

They claim to be working on these features, but they are not in the current tool.
I use the Trip Wizard for planning, our GPS will keep us off any inappropriate routes. It's very rare that the two routes will be different.

That said, all of us still need to remain vigilant as we travel. Even the best route planers and GPS units will send you down the wrong path now and then. Don't trust any of them blindly.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:27 AM   #59

Found it pays to be a packrat as my copy of SA 2015 was not downloaded but installed from discs so, we are good to go if and when the computer dies.
Can't help with the speaking features as it has been silenced for me since the git go.
Be aware that Google maps STILL has errors out in our neck of the woods in the boondocks of NE Nebraska.
If and when SA 2015 gets to be unusable, looks to me as though planning on RV Parky or RV Trip Wizard with the results in the biggest screen machine garmin or Tom Tom makes might work. It is so durn nice, however, to be able to see what is near or far ahead with SA and know the street patterns where ever one is in case a u-turn is necessary.
helendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
Just realized that Garmin has dropped Street Atlas. I've used it for years so I'm used to its quirks and actually like it. (Using 2015 version)

I tried calling garmin to see what they suggest as a replacement and other than an enormous waste of time I got nothing.

I've looked at a few other options in the past but never found one I liked.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't really need the campground data since I do my own research and use RV Park Reviews extensively.

2015 isn't too far out of date since I'm really just routing and setting distances.
has anyone found an alternative program for DeLorme Street Atlas. I checked with Maptitude and they want $600 or more. Ridiculous. Any suggestions are truly welcomed. I'm currently using 2015 version.
kimpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:18 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpip View Post
has anyone found an alternative program for DeLorme Street Atlas. I checked with Maptitude and they want $600 or more. Ridiculous. Any suggestions are truly welcomed. I'm currently using 2015 version.
Ditto here. I searched for something years ago. I found nothing which works like SA...
Old 02-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Doing some checking for other Windows 7 program I want to load on a new Windows 10 laptop I came across this bits of information. Versions of SA prior to 2015 do not have Windows 10 drivers. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...CJ2cF6TBO81WI8
Having other programs that did work prior to a Microsoft Update, they are slowly killing off older driver programs that did not pay the licensing fee to Microsoft. It looks like Garmin might have been one to get caught in the high licensing fees for Windows 10 and pulled the plug. Just a guess.

Researching how to load a Windows 7 QuickBooks program, I found several hacks on how to load it listed on Google. There might be one for SA as well, if that helps others.
My Windows 10 system just upgraded itself last night and my Street Atlas USA 2011 still works. It was originally installed from the factory disks, not downloaded. I don't use the SA GPS model any more so most likely those drivers are obsolete.

I like Street Atlas for pre-planning routes and stopping points but other than that it is pretty old and not usable for real-time routing. There are a few roads missing that have been added in the last 10 years.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
My Windows 10 system just upgraded itself last night and my Street Atlas USA 2011 still works. It was originally installed from the factory disks, not downloaded. I don't use the SA GPS model any more so most likely those drivers are obsolete.

I like Street Atlas for pre-planning routes and stopping points but other than that it is pretty old and not usable for real-time routing. There are a few roads missing that have been added in the last 10 years.
My SA 2008 works under Win 10.... [When I bought SA2009 I made some speed tests and found it re-calculated routes a lot slower than SA2008 on my old laptop. I never got around to installing an upgrade after that.]

Just wondering now if SA2013 and earlier versions are now in the public domain. Does anyone know?