RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #1

DFP "Stop Engine"

Hello there just joined. Been observing for over a year gaining valuable knowledge for this forum and irv2. We flew from NC to Utah and bought a 2014 Aspire DEQ 42 from a private individual. Pre-purchase inspection done by qualified RV facility. Past owner has been wonderful. The problem.

Driving coach from St George to Vegas then to Williams az now in Albuquerque we had the "swoosh light" light come on and blinks. Ck engine light came on. DEF gauge shows one bar but tank is 3/4s. Once we stopped for the night in Williams next morning all lights off everything fine. Then swoosh light comes on engine comes on about 10 miles from our current location Rt-66 RV Resort off Rt-40 the "Stop Engine" light comes on.
Of course it's the weekend no shop open until Monday closest shop is Cummings Rocky Mtn in Albuquerque about 19 miles from our location. Called Spartan tech said it's my DFP. He said tow it to the shop. He said you can try and limb it to the shop but my speed would be about 45 mph. He said if Stop Engine come see on to stop shut off wait and try again.
Called a Mobile mechanic and his regenerator to clean is broke down. The coach has 50,000 the past owner is willing to pay for repairs.
Finally my question. Can do anything now? Can I/should I try and drive it to the shop? Rpms only go to 1100. I'm told the engine is in "Protection Mode".
Thanks for any and all. My learning curve is like climbing Mt Everest.
Roy

SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Are you letting all of the dash Check Engine lights go off before starting?? There are two of them. If not allowed to go off, takes about 30 seconds, the 14 will throw bonus codes. I learned that one the hard way.

Another thing that was just posted was to pull the plug on the top of the DEF tank to reboot all of the sensors. Also try turning off the 12v power switch, one at the entry door, or the one on the drivers console and reboot the dash as well.
If the codes keep coming and going, a trip to Cummins will be needed to read and clear the computer. Hopefully early starting is the only problem.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #3

I too am a newbie with a 2014 44b and agree to let all the ‘idiot’ lights clear before I try to turn the engine over. Even if I don’t fire on the first time, I wait for all the lights to clear first. Just seems like the right thing to do given how much is working behind the scenes.
Welcome and Best of luck and glad the prior owner is willing to make it right.
Learning curve is an understatement for me but this forum is great.
Tom
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
On the 2014 450 Cummins, there are 16 DEF sensor that have to talk and sync with each other before the engine is started. If the sequence is interrupted, the error codes can appear. Others say they have never had a problem, they are lucky I have had them so many times I stopped counting. I had a pre DEF Cummins for 11 years and just could not get use to the 30 second delay to start and I paid the price, many times.
Finally after a Cummins ECM update, the bogus codes from early starts almost stopped.

Something else to check is to call Cummins and see if any updates are required. They may say you need to take it to a dealer. That will be $125. charge unless other service is being done.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 04-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
On the 2014 450 Cummins, there are 16 DEF sensor that have to talk and sync with each other before the engine is started. If the sequence is interrupted, the error codes can appear. Others say they have never had a problem, they are lucky I have had them so many times I stopped counting. I had a pre DEF Cummins for 11 years and just could not get use to the 30 second delay to start and I paid the price, many times.
Finally after a Cummins ECM update, the bogus codes from early starts almost stopped.

Something else to check is to call Cummins and see if any updates are required. They may say you need to take it to a dealer. That will be $125. charge unless other service is being done.

I agree with Chuck. I had a DPF sensor CEL while traveling to WDW, FL. I replaced the sensor but 60 miles from home (San Antonio) the CEL light came on again. I took it to Cummins and had the ECM flashed. It took 19 updates and one was related to my issue. No issue since.

Also there was another post related to DEF fluid not reading correctly. Removing the DEF connection harness, and rebooting the 12 volt system (wait 3 minutes after turning system off) took care of reading the DEF fluid correctly.

Hope it’s ll works out.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for you help. Lots to try and hopefully get us back on the road. Really appreciate it. We absolutely love our new to is coach. I do let all the idiot lights go off before starting and of course wait until glow plugs tell me.
Roy
Old 04-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

Also try turning off the 12v power switch, one at the entry door, or the one on the drivers console and reboot the dash as well.
If the codes keep coming and going, a trip to Cummins will be needed to read and clear the computer. Hopefully early starting is the only problem.
I believe there is also one or two battery disconnect that are back by the batteries. Also turn these off while you are turning off all of the other battery disconnects.
Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
If the simple clears did not solve the problem and you are only 19 miles from Cummins, I think I would head there before going across west Texas. I would do everything to limp in before being towed. Let us know what happens and keep us unformed of your journey home. Hope the rest is enjoyable and problem free.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 04-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonandRoy View Post
Hello there just joined. Been observing for over a year gaining valuable knowledge for this forum and irv2. We flew from NC to Utah and bought a 2014 Aspire DEQ 42 from a private individual. Pre-purchase inspection done by qualified RV facility. Past owner has been wonderful. The problem.

Driving coach from St George to Vegas then to Williams az now in Albuquerque we had the "swoosh light" light come on and blinks. Ck engine light came on. DEF gauge shows one bar but tank is 3/4s. Once we stopped for the night in Williams next morning all lights off everything fine. Then swoosh light comes on engine comes on about 10 miles from our current location Rt-66 RV Resort off Rt-40 the "Stop Engine" light comes on.
Of course it's the weekend no shop open until Monday closest shop is Cummings Rocky Mtn in Albuquerque about 19 miles from our location. Called Spartan tech said it's my DFP. He said tow it to the shop. He said you can try and limb it to the shop but my speed would be about 45 mph. He said if Stop Engine come see on to stop shut off wait and try again.
Called a Mobile mechanic and his regenerator to clean is broke down. The coach has 50,000 the past owner is willing to pay for repairs.
Finally my question. Can do anything now? Can I/should I try and drive it to the shop? Rpms only go to 1100. I'm told the engine is in "Protection Mode".
Thanks for any and all. My learning curve is like climbing Mt Everest.
Roy
If the one bar on your dash def gauge is red and your tank is 3/4 full the problem is your system is not reading the proper def fluid level. Once the red def level light is illuminated you can drive about 8-10 miles before it thinks you are driving with no def fluid and will derate to start with and then later you will get the stop engine light.

I recently had this same problem with the tank level sensing and mine was cured by unplugging the sensor harness on top of the tank for 20 seconds and plugging back in. No problems for the past 1100 miles.

1100W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
...we had the "swoosh light" light come on and blinks.

Called Spartan tech said it's my DFP. He said tow it to the shop.
I'm sorry, I'm just trying to understand the problem.

First, can you describe more fully what a "swoosh light" is?

Second, I know what a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) is and am somewhat familiar of the consequences of a clogged DPF are.

But, what is a DFP?

And what does a DFP have to do with incorrect reading of the DEF quantity sensor?

I know a lot, but, I don't know everything, yet.

Just trying to figure this stuff out in case I experience a similar challenge.

Thanks, in advance.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I wonder if the OP found the problem? It might help the next person in the same situation. They had a lot of good suggestion. I'm sure others have learned a few ideas, I did with Don's suggestion from a few weeks back with his DEF tank sensor experience.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 04-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #12

Hey all just thought I’d bring everyone up to speed. First let clarify I misspoke it’s the DPF not the DFP. (fat fingers) we drive the coach at 5mph to LoneStar Freightliner in Albuquerque took 2 hrs to go 9 miles. After a day and half they updated 31-39 codes but couldn’t update one code have to take to a Spartan Shop. $600 later we’re in the same situation as when we got there.
Called Camping World just down the street who is an authorized Spartan location however the Svc guy side they only work on the house side they don’t have any ASC certified mechanics. 😳🤦🏻*♂️ However he gave us the name of a Diesel Shop in town.
We called them Statkus Engines. Spoke with Jamie and in less then a half hr Wendy and Mr Statkus showed up at the Freightliner dealership plugged in their computer found 2 codes. Wendy ran the computer testing and Mr Statkus started looking at the engine and other related things. Wendy then got her hands dirt checking things as well. After 20mins tops She called the Spartan parts folks and new the guy be name and ordered a sensor for overnight delivery. She then removed a code so that her father could drive the coach to their shop 10 miles into town. Once there they continued to drop everything they where previously doing and begin checking other things and possibilities. Like a chafed wire etc. They treated us like family. We had pretty much lost hope and had decided we were going to turn the coach back into the previous owner. But the Statkus Engines Family gave renewed confidence. So hopefully today we’ll be back on the road heading to NC. I’ll keep you all advised.
Roy & Sharon
Old 04-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Thanks everyone for you help. Lots to try and hopefully get us back on the road. Really appreciate it. We absolutely love our new to is coach. I do let all the idiot lights go off before starting and of course wait until glow plugs tell me.
Roy
Modern diesel engines in motorhomes don't have glow plugs. They use a grid heater in the intake, which is why you can't use starting fluid anymore.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hey all just thought I’d bring everyone up to speed. First let clarify I misspoke it’s the DPF not the DFP. (fat fingers) we drive the coach at 5mph to LoneStar Freightliner in Albuquerque took 2 hrs to go 9 miles. After a day and half they updated 31-39 codes but couldn’t update one code have to take to a Spartan Shop. $600 later we’re in the same situation as when we got there.
Called Camping World just down the street who is an authorized Spartan location however the Svc guy side they only work on the house side they don’t have any ASC certified mechanics. 😳🤦🏻*♂️ However he gave us the name of a Diesel Shop in town.
We called them Statkus Engines. Spoke with Jamie and in less then a half hr Wendy and Mr Statkus showed up at the Freightliner dealership plugged in their computer found 2 codes. Wendy ran the computer testing and Mr Statkus started looking at the engine and other related things. Wendy then got her hands dirt checking things as well. After 20mins tops She called the Spartan parts folks and new the guy be name and ordered a sensor for overnight delivery. She then removed a code so that her father could drive the coach to their shop 10 miles into town. Once there they continued to drop everything they where previously doing and begin checking other things and possibilities. Like a chafed wire etc. They treated us like family. We had pretty much lost hope and had decided we were going to turn the coach back into the previous owner. But the Statkus Engines Family gave renewed confidence. So hopefully today we’ll be back on the road heading to NC. I’ll keep you all advised.
Roy & Sharon
Fingers crossed for you to be on your way and trouble free soon!

Tags
engine