Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Will be getting our 13' Aspire in Oct. and was wondering how many fellow Entegra owners purchased a extended warrenty. We were offered Interstates plan at a cost of approx $4800(5years) and $7800(7). I was told the price in Florida is non negotiable because of FL state law. Any thoughts? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the product is so great ask the dealer why you should need a service policy, isn't the factory warranty good enough?
I think you should check on the dealers story about the price not being negotiable too. I can't see a state requiring that but I don't know FL law either. Ask them to cite the law and look it up on the Internet.

Also, if you have a one year warranty and you buy a five year one then you actually only get four years after the original expires.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

your avatar shows Arkansas. Use that as your address. I called 4 ex warranty companies and called wholesale warranties. Wholesale beat all of them with price , benefits and mileage/time. Do more shopping and make them compete. Dont forget to include consequential coverage.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #4

Have never bought Extended Warranty on anything!! And don't plan on it. My humble opinion is that they are Super rip-offs. Cannot imagine anything going out in the 5 or so years that would cost as much as the 5-7k for the warranty. Put that money in the bank and use it when something breaks after your initial Warranty period.

That's my opinion and you know everyone has one.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
State Law?

That set off my BS alarm big time!

I bought an extended warranty for our current coach. In just over a year it's paid for 1/3 of it's cost. And that was only one little slide motor that broke.

One of my RV buddies didn't buy one and he spent 7,000+ to replace bad injectors.

Personally I think it's worth it on things that are very expensive to repair, like RV's. Not so much on things like TVs & computers & toasters etc.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a big difference between TVs, etc and RVs for sure. Most of those smaller purchases are throw away. Plus it depends on how much of the work you want to do on your RV. If you don't have the skills or want to get your hands dirty an extended warranty might be for you.

However, don't fall for the fixed pricing. We're based in FL and Interstate came back with two price reductions while competing with other vendors. We decided not to take the extended warranty because of some reasons already stated. Plus, I like to work on my own stuff. Dealers have not impressed me with the quality of work they are doing these days.

Dave
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #7

Great responses, thanks. How much less should be reasonable in negotiations? Are these prices very high?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

We bought a 1999 Bounder last spring. I was offered an extended warranty by the dealer. I thought it was quite expensive. I had read around, and had decided that I wanted one. I did a lot of research on the internet. The company that was offered to me by the dealer had nothing but bad reports, from both customers and the BBB. I finally found one, United States, that had NO bad reports, and almost everything I read about them was positive.

The cost was about 2/3 the cost of the one from the dealer, and had much better coverage for a year longer. The dealer had said I had to buy it at the time of purchase to get this "good deal". I told them no. About three weeks later, after I had purchased the other one, the dealer called back and offered theirs to me for a thousand dollars less than the original cost, which was still more that the one I purchased.

Only a couple of months after buying the coverage, I had a leveling jack fail. I had it repaired, and the process was smooth, and they paid exactly what they should have with no hassles. I have four more years on it, and I am glad that I do. I still haven't recouped my cost, but the piece of mind is worth something.

Yes, those prices sound very high. Call United States, and see what they have to say.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

Another thought, since the Entegra has a 2 year factory warranty couldn't I wait a year or two and then decide or will it be a lot more costly then?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #10

Sounds like you have the same dealer we had (same fixed price).
We passed, even showed them a lower quote I had but they did not come down on price.
We will wait until 2 years is up.
azbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #11

I'm leaning on waiting also. When you have a 2 year warranty it's hard to justify buying a 5 year plan. It's really a 3 year plan isn't it or I'm I missing something?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Interstate Star (7 years) and have had 5 claims plus 1 now pending) all paid without a problem. I am way ahead of the game, others are not. I paid 1/2 of the dealers starting quote. Winnebago's warranty was only 1 year so I had 6 years actual coverage on the MH, the chassis was warrantied for 3 years so I had 4 years coverage on it.

My advice if you do buy a warranty is to make sure the repair facility knows the claims procedure and they follow it!

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #13

We purchased a coach/warranty, in FL, and negotiated the price down. That dealer is full of...nonsense.