Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Different take on the black tank flush plumbing

I did not want to permanently or semi-permanently plumb the black tank flush to the main water delivery hose despite assurances of check valves and such.....just do not trust them

I just hooked the black tank flush up with a separate non-white hose and used it that way. I did not like the way water always back flowed from the black tank flush fitting when unhooking the system. Aside from making me even more leery of permanently plumbing it! I was tired of constantly mopping up water from the wet bay every time I disconnected the black tank flush.

To solve this I added a three foot section of hose "permanently" attached to the black tank fitting. I put a ball valve shutoff on the end of the hose and just leave it laying in the wet bay. Now when I want to hook up the black tank flush I connect the hose to the three foot extension so it is outside the wet bay. When finished I turn off the ball valve before disconnecting the delivery hose and any excess water is ouside of the wet bay. Plus, I can hang the three foot extension hose outside the bay and open the ball valve and any back flow (which is more than a little) can land on the ground instead of flooding the wet bay. Best of both worlds. No chance of cross contamination and the wet bay stays dry. Works for me.
jestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #2

This sounds like a good solution. I too don't like water back flowing from the black tank connection into the wet bay.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Sounds great, photo please ..
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

different take on the black tank flush plumbing

I did similar but a little easier. I bought a set of hose quick connects and also a short hose from my wet bay hose bib. The hoses are long enough that when I disconnect them they hang below the edge of the bay and drain on the ground. I may add a valve to the flush hose, I like that idea.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I appreciate safety, but, I truly believe the only water coming back out the black tank flush hose is the residual water that didn't make it through the sprayer...unless you are turning on the sprayer with the black tank at 80-90% before you release it. JMHO...but if it makes you feel safer then go for it. Likewise, I guess back flow preventer can fail, but....can anyone give me a concrete example of it happening with one of the PCV back flow preventers that folks have built into the system...but if it concerns you then use the hose and the hose extension. Again, JMHO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I totally agree.
I know most here make a direct connection via single or duel check and I have never heard of an issue. But check valves build up with impurities in the water and can leak so the potential of a serious health issue will always be lurking and easy to avoid. I designed and installed hundreds of potable water systems over the years in commercial and industrial environments and just the thought of connecting sewer to potable water goes against background.

Here is what I done:
My water enters the coach unregulated'

Unregulated water is then accessible to hook into the black tank wash or hook up an external wash hose, it literally takes ten seconds to hook up tank flush hose. Also, having unregulated water on the flush is a plus.

Unregulated water then travels through my whole house filter and from there to the water softener.

Then I can can either pass the water through the regulator or bypass it if the CG water pressure is low.

oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #7

Very nice setup.. Like all the different ideas. I was going over this very dilemma in my head the other day. As Dw informed me... Quote.."oh no..no..no..way is my babies drinking water supply going anywhere near your toilet.. I know you to well".hahahaha i said agree... Im sure the experts have a solution.. Sure enough... Wait and you shall receive. I'll keep monitoring this thread and wrap my head around the theory. I do rather enjoy the possibility to employ the "tinkering/need to reinvent/improve side of my brain... Keep the ideas coming. Love it
Old 08-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Wow.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:31 AM   #9

I use a Y adapter at the supply and quick connect fittings. One side for fresh the other side for black tank flush, washing the coach, toad or what ever. After flushing the black tank I simply disconnect that hose at the Y. That will drain the small amount of water left between the check valve and the connection and then disconnect from the black tank. Always dry.
Using the quick connect fittings makes it a "snap" . Pardon the pun.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I use a Y adapter at the supply and quick connect fittings. One side for fresh the other side for black tank flush, washing the coach, toad or what ever. After flushing the black tank I simply disconnect that hose at the Y. That will drain the small amount of water left between the check valve and the connection and then disconnect from the black tank. Always dry.
Using the quick connect fittings makes it a "snap" . Pardon the pun.
I use pretty much the same approach, but we have a 10' dedicated hose that remains attached to the black tank. We sometimes have to attach the wash hose to it to reach the supply, but frequently it works as is. After it drains the excess water that's in the the hose. it goes into the bay and is short enough to be out of the way. I like the more sophisticated systems, but this works for us.

I think I can attest that the backflow preventer works. Over filling the black tank will not force water out the flush entry. I wish I couldn't attest to that
Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
everyone look under your sink at the piping. you will see an anti-siphon fitting above the level of the black tank. It may be in a different location on other floorplans, but it is there. It is part of the san-t-flush system. Check your manuals, or go to the website. When you stop the flow of water and disconnect, this fitting opens to allow air in, and, let the water drain from the hose, not the tank, as this is above the tank. The concern of a permanent connection to this flush system should be the integrity of the plastic shut-off valves between the pressurized fresh water and the black tank. These valves can leak through, and overfill the black tank causing the contents up to the roof through the vent pipe.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
I did not want to permanently or semi-permanently plumb the black tank flush to the main water delivery hose despite assurances of check valves and such.....just do not trust them

I just hooked the black tank flush up with a separate non-white hose and used it that way. I did not like the way water always back flowed from the black tank flush fitting when unhooking the system. Aside from making me even more leery of permanently plumbing it! I was tired of constantly mopping up water from the wet bay every time I disconnected the black tank flush.

To solve this I added a three foot section of hose "permanently" attached to the black tank fitting. I put a ball valve shutoff on the end of the hose and just leave it laying in the wet bay. Now when I want to hook up the black tank flush I connect the hose to the three foot extension so it is outside the wet bay. When finished I turn off the ball valve before disconnecting the delivery hose and any excess water is ouside of the wet bay. Plus, I can hang the three foot extension hose outside the bay and open the ball valve and any back flow (which is more than a little) can land on the ground instead of flooding the wet bay. Best of both worlds. No chance of cross contamination and the wet bay stays dry. Works for me.
Thanks. Great idea. I always prefer to be as safe as possible with water sanitation. I had a short hose handy and implemented your idea with quick connects. I don't mind rolling up an extra hose. In locations with a nearby water tap, I use a cute hose.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #13

I've never had water come back out of the black tank flush inlet when disconnecting the hose. Just as there is a check valve at the inlet of the potable water inlet, there is a check valve on the flush inlet. There is also an antisyphone valve at the top of the loop so you have a double safety system.
Those with water coming back out have lost one layer of safety and would be better off fixing that first.

BTW those precious people who get worried about having both inlets in the same bay would be very well advised not to enquire to closely as to how their toilet gets flushed.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
I've never had water come back out of the black tank flush inlet when disconnecting the hose. Just as there is a check valve at the inlet of the potable water inlet, there is a check valve on the flush inlet. There is also an antisyphone valve at the top of the loop so you have a double safety system.
Those with water coming back out have lost one layer of safety and would be better off fixing that first.

BTW those precious people who get worried about having both inlets in the same bay would be very well advised not to enquire to closely as to how their toilet gets flushed.
As usual there are always many versions of the story.

I have watched three different Anthems with a hose supplying water pressure to the black tank shower fitting and when the water pressure is turned off and the hose fitting disconnected at the coach there is a significant amount of water that flows back out of the fitting. I even watched it on a 2005 TS which is where this particular mod idea came from! Apparently lots of folks have watched water dribble copious amounts out of the black tank shower connection when it is disconnected and I don't want that landing in the wet bay whether it is clean water or not. It makes a mess so my little semi-permanent 2-3 foot extension from the black tank shower provides an easy means of preventing any possible backflow and prevents any mess of spilling water in the wet bay.

The whole story is I also use one of those silver nelson y's at the campground bib. One of the outlets says capped except when I use it for flushing the black tank with a separate non white hose. The other side goes, via a 3 foot hose connection to a pressure regualator/gauge permanently piped to a filter to keep any floaties from the house. Just the usual camping world filter with the little stick in the ground cradle to hold it. I just got rid of their plastic fittings and combined the filter pressure regulator together to the filter with a pipe nipple.

I also use a water softener which sits just outside the wet bay and connects with two short hoses from the reel to the house potable water fitting. I decided not to permanently mount the water softener inside....I just sit it outside the bay and the hoses all go thru the same grommet. Living on a well at our S&B house has taught me about all the problems with hard water and iron in the water so the softener is a must to protect the coach. very much the same as oneal's setup just not hard plumbed and mounted.
jestal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, tank