Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Jayco Owner's Forum > Entegra Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Direct tv at home and in RV

Can you have direct tv in your house working and also remove a box from the house to the RV when traveling to have direct tv in the rv, all at the same time. Meaning I would like to have in RV to watch and the ones at home have it to watch also.
Thanks Karen

onourway2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We always take our Direct TV house box and a spare dish with us on the road and never have not been able to bring in a signal. However we will loose our local channels as we get further from our home base. Our set up in not High Def but it works super. I never have an issue finding the satellite after getting the asmuth and elevation from the Direct TV set up screen. I have a non traditional mount for my dish which works very good and is often the topic of questions and conversation. I will try to find a link for that mount and post again. If you have a High Def system I believe you might also have some additional adjustments other than the two I mentioned. And yes you can use the system in the RV and at home at the same time. Now if you have an Inmotion system mounted on top of your RV I believe you can also put your Direct TV box in line and it should work well. My Inmotion has issues so we use the remote dish. Hope this helps.

jbmann52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
sat

Here is that link for the dish mount that I use. Its is easy and inexpensive to make and works like a champ. There is some math you have to do to get the elevation for aiming but after a couple of times setting it up you will be a pro. One thing that I did not do with mine was I did not glue the upper pieces. By not glueing them it allows movement in the arm for adjustments without picking the dish up and adjusting. I made the four leg model and did not put the adjusters under the legs. It just works without them.
jbmann52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have Direct at home and in the coach. We used to take a receiver from home on trips but that got to be a pain so we just installed two receivers in the coach. We have HD in both the stick house and in the RV so as long as you are in the spot beam (maybe 200 - 300 miles from your home), we still get our local channels. We are in Myrtle Beach now and live 300 or so miles away and are getting our locals.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V Toad: Air Force One Toad Brake.
Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We have Direct at home and in the coach. We used to take a receiver from home on trips but that got to be a pain so we just installed two receivers in the coach. We have HD in both the stick house and in the RV so as long as you are in the spot beam (maybe 200 - 300 miles from your home), we still get our local channels. We are in Myrtle Beach now and live 300 or so miles away and are getting our locals.
X2 ... and by the way, we did not get a new DTV subscription for the coach when we added a new receiver to the coach. DTV thinks it is at the house.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the information everyone. We had Direct TV (we were switching from Comcast) installers here today and they really didn't know what they were doing. They said we couldn't have HD for the house and standard for the coach (they said HD couldn't go in the coach), so we ended not switching until we have more information. Thanks again
onourway2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onourway2013 View Post
Thanks for the information everyone. We had Direct TV (we were switching from Comcast) installers here today and they really didn't know what they were doing. They said we couldn't have HD for the house and standard for the coach (they said HD couldn't go in the coach), so we ended not switching until we have more information. Thanks again
You were right about the installers not knowing what they were doing as they were wrong on both points. Of course you can get HD with the proper dish for the coach and a lot of folks have HD at home and get SD in the coach (just have to change a couple settings on the receiver when setting it up
stevedenesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedenesha View Post
You were right about the installers not knowing what they were doing as they were wrong on both points. Of course you can get HD with the proper dish for the coach and a lot of folks have HD at home and get SD in the coach (just have to change a couple settings on the receiver when setting it up
I agree. When we had the in motion on our coach, we took a HD receiver from the house, changed the settings on the guide to only show SD channels and watched them. Granted there aren't very many such channels. We soon after replaced the in motion with a Trav'ler dish so we could get HD.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #9

I went with DISH because it does provide HD for the coach. I have a 2013 Anthem with a Wingard Sat. Direct won't give HD with this Satellite but Dish does. Takes a little setting up but nothing hard
Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't tell DirectTV, but like jbmann52, we take our DirectTV box from the rec room in the S&B and plug-n-play it into the motorhome when we head out on a trip. We have a KingDome and the DTV box doesn't require any new settings. We lose local channels about 275 miles from home, however. Carry a ClearStream for free OTA signals as a backup. \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT#160518, FMCA#F436051)
2005 Winnebago 40FD w/Cummins 400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution XC chassis, Onan 7500w, ... and a Wrangler TJ
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #11

I also lose local channels with DISH at 250-300 mi. But you can get snow Bird status (no charge) and call them and they'll set the local channels up for where your at. Kind of a pain as it changes all yoir receivers even the ones at home so when you go back you have to get them all changed back. I only use it on extenddd stays.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Karen,
Not trying to start a detector war at all, just discussing what will work. What satellite antenna do you have on your coach?

If it is the Roadmate, as other have said, will only get SD with Direct. However it will get HD and everything else with Dish Network.

Advantage of Dish for MH use.....you can take a receiver from home, not a problem. I bought my 211k receiver on ebay brand new for $98. and leave it connected in the MH. Dish allows you to turn it on and off as need for only $7.00 a month only when you use it, and no long term contact for the MH receiver. Dish encourages extra use in your MH where Direct wants another contract for the MH or you have to "sneak" a receiver from home

Not saying Direct is bad, we may switch after 25 years because we had a Traveler installed on the Anthem and I do miss not seeing the Denver Broncos every weekend. Or I may add the Dish Network Kit for the Travel and stay with Dish Network. I like not having to disconnect and re-connect in the house after ever trip, that did become a pain for me.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onourway2013 View Post
I hate it when technicians do not know what they are talking about. We have exactly the setup you want. I have the Genie DVR in the S&B and two SD receivers in the MH, all on the same account. Whether you can get HD in the coach is dependent on the antenna you have. I do lose the locals when we get too far from home, but that is a minor inconvenience as I usually get them OTA in HD. Besides, watching the local news gives me a great flavor of the area I'm in. If you do want to get the networks in the MH, you need a separate account, as they cannot have receivers on one account set up two different ways (some with locals, some with networks). That being said, I do know people who have gotten a less than knowledgable customer service rep on the phone and been allowed to set it up "incorrectly". If you do want the networks in the MH, you should have to send them a copy of your title or registration to prove it is in a vehicle. Getting the locals vs. the networks is mandated by federal law. But that is another topic and I don't want to get in trouble for being off topic.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
. Carry a ClearStream for free OTA signals as a backup. \ken
Ken, what is the advantage of ClearStream over a traditional Winegard batwing, and do you use an indoor or outdoor ClearStream?