RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Direct TV - manually adjusting the dish

There are times that we can not get the DTV dish to align automatically. No obstructions in the direction the dish needs to face, but there are obstruction in the arc it takes to get there.

Is there a way to manually position the dish when this happens ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I know from experience you can go into the menu on the satellite box and set it to manually find and lock to one satellite. An idiosyncrasy of doing this is that when it locks onto one satellite it actually “sees” all three, so you have all of your programming (for DirecTV). A Winegard tech taught me this when I was having problem with my dish locking on in automatic mode.

2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I know from experience you can go into the menu on the satellite box and set it to manually find and lock to one satellite. An idiosyncrasy of doing this is that when it locks onto one satellite it actually “sees” all three, so you have all of your programming (for DirecTV). A Winegard tech taught me this when I was having problem with my dish locking on in automatic mode.
The success of that will probably vary with location because no multi-satellite skew operation is performed when doing a manual search for a single satellite - at least that's how my DISH version works. If your geo-location is such that no (or minimal) skew is required AND depending on which sat you are manually tuning, it is possible. Perhaps it is such that most locations in the US can tune DIRECT with minimal skew?

For me with DISH when located in the northeast using an Eastern arc LNB if I manually tune 72 I will also get 61.5. However, west of PA it will not work, unless I go up on the roof and manually skew it by hand.

For the OP what you are describing seems to indicate something is amiss. The system should search the sky until it finds what it is looking for, obstructions not in the sight line of the satellites the system is seeking should have no affect. Mine will find and report multiple satellites (even from other carriers) until it eventually locates those desired. Does it ever report finding anything? You need to watch the screen while it is seeking, when it finds something it will lock on and briefly flash the satellite info, then continue the search.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Rob, something is not right. In 6 years my Travlr has only failed to find and lock onto the satellites one time. I contacted Winegard and they walked me through the troubleshooting steps needed to resolve the problem. I suggest you do the same.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Interesting comments, thanks all. Setup and finding a satellite on 101, 99 and 103 is rarely a problem.

What prompted my question is that that recently we were on a site and had all 3 Sats. Then we needed to move forward about 20 feet which put a tree on one side of the coach, but not the side the dish needed to face. When we tried to find the sats again it would search, but never locked on to anything. I thought I remembered that for auto positioning of the dish it needed to find additional references in other directions.

Probably a good suggestion Marc had to call Winegard. They have been very helpful in the past.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #6

Did you stow the dish for that 20 foot move?

I generally don't.
In fact I've idled half a mile to the dumpsite with my Trav'ler up, did my business, and returned to my campsite. Dish remained locked on to all 3, everything continued to work. I've done this multiple times.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I agree with Rob, something is not right. In 6 years my Travlr has only failed to find and lock onto the satellites one time. I contacted Winegard and they walked me through the troubleshooting steps needed to resolve the problem. I suggest you do the same.
I just received my Direct TV tuner and can't get it to lock on a satellite. It ocassionsly finds 119W, the starts searching again. I tried to manually enter satellite numbers, but no joy. I know the azimuth and (hight?) for my area from the internet but don't see a way to manually set that. I called DTV and Winegard, neither of them helped. They are assuming there is an obstruction, so I am assuming the signals are pretty weak if they can't make it past a few tree branches. Guess I'll try again when I hit the road in Jan.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:51 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Mike, the further north you are located from the satellites, which are basically over Texas, the weaker the signal is. The slightest obstruction makes a big difference. If in Seattle you will need clear sight to the southeastern sky.

I use this app standing in line with my Dish and it will give the the exact location of the satellites and if I have any obstructions in the way. Great app for telling you how far you need to move for the one branch that might be blocking the signal. I use this a lot before even dropping the jacks when traveling. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ality&hl=en_US
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
They are assuming there is an obstruction, so I am assuming the signals are pretty weak if they can't make it past a few tree branches.
Yes, the satellite signals are very weak. Even a small obstruction in the wrong place (one small tree branch) can ruin reception. If you have any branches at all in the general direction that your dish is pointed, you cannot know whether they are in fact blocking the signal or not. For a valid test to know if your antenna is working, there must be no obstructions at all.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Marc is correct. IIRC the first time the dish is dialed in, there can be nothing to block the signal during it's search. If it has never been locked in before, it does not have a starting point in memory.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Mike, the further north you are located from the satellites, which are basically over Texas, the weaker the signal is. The slightest obstruction makes a big difference. If in Seattle you will need clear sight to the southeastern sky.

I use this app standing in line with my Dish and it will give the the exact location of the satellites and if I have any obstructions in the way. Great app for telling you how far you need to move for the one branch that might be blocking the signal. I use this a lot before even dropping the jacks when traveling. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ality&hl=en_US
Thanks for the link. I'll give this a try. I am in a wooded area, with a very narrow clear path to the south. What I did discover, since I have a DTV account I can stream some TV stations from my Roku. That lets the DW watch her shows on Discovery, NatGeo, and let's me stream NBC for Sunday night football.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Thanks for the link. I'll give this a try. I am in a wooded area, with a very narrow clear path to the south. What I did discover, since I have a DTV account I can stream some TV stations from my Roku. That lets the DW watch her shows on Discovery, NatGeo, and let's me stream NBC for Sunday night football.
Have to agree with the value of streaming when you are parked in an area of no Sat signal. I discovered that last year year with the Amazon Fire Stick and the Dish Anywhere app. I could stream my locals at home and see the local reports of Hurricane Irma. One was being filmed 6 blocks from my house. Priceless...sold me.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU

Tags
dish, manual