RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

DirectTV Genie

I just got off the phone with the "president's office" at DirectTV due to a service call that never happened.

At the end of the call, I was told that no motorhome in the US has a DirectTV Genie or Genie 2 installed because it will not work.

Does your experience agree with this statement?

TIA,

Jonny

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

Interesting..... I have had a Genie DVR for 3.5 years now and a mini-Genie and a brand new version of the Mini-Genie for the same period. Not even sure what a Genie 2 is but as of a month and a half ago, I was told that the Genie I had in my coach was the latest model that they had.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

https://blog.solidsignal.com/reviews...adless-server/
Old 07-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #4

We have had a HR-44 and a mini Genie for four years in our motorhome.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #5

We have been with directv since 1995. I have been told repeatedly only one genie per account,does not mater if it is in your house or rv or if you move it. As long as you have a regular dish (traveler) it will work. My problem is I want a genie at home and in the motorhome...no luck yet
fla tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a HR54 DVR receiver that we use as the Genie in stick house and take it to the coach when we travel. It works just fine in the coach with the HR24 receiver in the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I just went through this with Directv two hours ago. I believe I now have talked to everyone at every level to get my problem fixed. I had the HR 54-700 Genie that I have used for the "base" genie in the house and would move to the motor home, always worked great. Last week I contacted Directv for some service work and they asked if I wanted to upgrade to the new Genie 2 wireless system, sounded good to me so I did it. I told the installer that I was going to keep the 54-700 for the motorhome so don't deactivate it, Damn, he did. Well, seems like the 54-700 is not compatible with the Genie 2 system and cannot be used in the motor home once you have switched to Genie 2. Each time I called Directv I was told to talk to Winegard. Called Winegard to see what I could do and was told that Directv has a history of not mentioning that you just screwed up and your new system is for home use only.

So I pleaded, send back my old equipment and get rid of the Genie 2, nope, no can do, we don't "downgrade". But, we can replace your Genie 2 base with a new 54-700 for $300 plus tax. But wait, I still have my old 54-700 because I haven't sent it back yet so why would you send me a new one just like it for 300 + dollars, silly isn't it she said.

In two hours, I talked to 9 people trying to solve this. I found the best person to talk to is the lady in charge of service cancellations. She was able to understand what was going on and will returned everything back the way it was during a service call this Saturday plus she gave us an customer loyalty reduction in service price. And yes, you are only allowed one master Genie and that is why the 54-700 was deactivated. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
We have been with directv since 1995. I have been told repeatedly only one genie per account,does not mater if it is in your house or rv or if you move it. As long as you have a regular dish (traveler) it will work. My problem is I want a genie at home and in the motorhome...no luck yet
X2 - makes no sense to limit them. But indeed we have had a Genie and a mini-Genie.

Work fine
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Account retention - "I want to cancel because ______" is my answer almost every time. Changing service location or anything else. I'll give them maybe 5 minutes but when the answers are No Customer Service, I go to cancellation and - Oh Shock - the problem is solved.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
Account retention - "I want to cancel because ______" is my answer almost every time. Changing service location or anything else. I'll give them maybe 5 minutes but when the answers are No Customer Service, I go to cancellation and - Oh Shock - the problem is solved.
X2or 3
Old 07-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

I have been with DirecTV for 22 years at home and in an RV. I have never ad a problem with anyone but the first level customer service. DirecTV used to have a mobile division (before ATT) that handled boats, trucks and RVs. I am not sure they are still around. I even had a service tech all me out of the blue and say the hard drive on my HR-34 was failing and they were send me an HR-44 as a replacement, which they did. When I moved, the offered me another C-41W wireless client and knocked $55 off my bill for 18 months. I use my HR-44, video bridge and two C-41W clients in the coach. I use a tripod mounted Slimline II dish with a 3D2RB LNB, home run coax from the LNB to the HR-44, with the video bridge. A wireless C-41W attached to the TV. The only coax is to the genie and video bridge. Mirrored set-up in the house. I use a Satlooklite meter which powers the LNB during setup and will only lock on the the DTV-4 sat in the 101 degree galaxy. I cary 200 ft of RG-6 cable in 50 ft lengths.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #12

I had DirecTV service at the house last Friday.

Tech said Genie 2 is coming and I will no longer be able to move the DVR from the house to the trailer so I should avoid Genie 2 upgrade as long as possible.

He also said I should order a HDDVR for the trailer. Have the installer set it up in the house and then move it out to the trailer. This allows keeping the main DVR at home so that while we are on the road someone can still watch all 4 TVs at the house. I have not tried this yet.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
If this helps, my neighbor got tired of fighting with only one DISH Hopper. same as the Genie, one per house. He signed the MH up on a second account, got the Hopper for the MH and puts that account on vacation hold when he is at home. Cost a few bucks, but he said it is worth it to him.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Stay with the HR44 or HR54 Genie and avoid the new Genie 2 (HS17) if possible. The HR54 is used for 4K. I have taken both my HR44 and my HR24 several times in my motorhome.

If you get a Genie 2 (HS17) you cannot have another DVR. To watch mutiple TV's you would have to get a mini-genie (C61 or C61K) that pairs with the Genie 2 (HS17). Also the new Genie 2 (HS17) is already out.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote