RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
DirectTV to DISH Conversion

Picked up our 2019 Entegra Anthem on Thursday and today decided to do the change over from the factor installed DirectTV to Dish. I had purchased all the parts and studied the Voltdoc's well documented instructions. I am happy to report it went very smoothly. The only problem was figuring out this matrix setup. Once that was accomplished the Hopper and Joey was up and going. We are still at NIRVC Lawrenceville and hope to get the Valor TPMS up and going on the Coach tomorrow. Goal is to me on the road on Tuesday.

Gary S.

2017 Chevrolet Tahoe, M&G Braking, Blue Ox Avail
gswindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Be sure that Dish has you account flagged for Dish Outdoors. You will be able to use their new App to easily change the service location for local stations where you are parked.

Also, in order to get the Directory updated faster, put the receiver in Standby after you confirmed you have local channels. Takes about 20 minutes. Otherwise the update of the directory will occur overnight.

Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #3

Congrats Gary and hope that things continue to go smoothly for you.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom78418 View Post
Be sure that Dish has you account flagged for Dish Outdoors. You will be able to use their new App to easily change the service location for local stations where you are parked.

Also, in order to get the Directory updated faster, put the receiver in Standby after you confirmed you have local channels. Takes about 20 minutes. Otherwise the update of the directory will occur overnight.
So, I have tried multiple times to get my account flagged so I can change the locals thru the app, but have never been successful. Do you have a Hopper? If so what's your secret?

The answer I get from DISH is that my account is "residential" and can't be changed to Outdoors because I have a Hopper.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswindle View Post
Picked up our 2019 Entegra Anthem on Thursday and today decided to do the change over from the factor installed DirectTV to Dish. I had purchased all the parts and studied the Voltdoc's well documented instructions. I am happy to report it went very smoothly. The only problem was figuring out this matrix setup. Once that was accomplished the Hopper and Joey was up and going. We are still at NIRVC Lawrenceville and hope to get the Valor TPMS up and going on the Coach tomorrow. Goal is to me on the road on Tuesday.

Gary S.
Congrats on the new bus and best of luck! Glad to hear my conversion instructions are still mostly accurate.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Congrats Gary and hope that things continue to go smoothly for you.

Gary
Thanks! We are using the philosophy of staying until we identify all the bugs. So far a lot of minor issues that can be handled by NIRVC here. We are on day six. We may be close to your record. We found 2 spots that will need to go to paint here.

We also had a serious hail storm here Saturday evening. We did have some golf ball size but it was mixed with other small stuff. No coach damage but did have about 10 vehicle dings. We were lucky and so was NIRVC!

I hope you are having better luck.

Gary
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe, M&G Braking, Blue Ox Avail
gswindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dish CS people are typically in aware Hopper can be used in a coach. With a Solo Node you can use the Hopper 1. A newer version of the Solo Node makes it possible to use the latest Hopper with the Winegard Traveler. Winegard will soon release a Hopper ready version of the Traveler.

We also have the Dish Walley and a Winegard Play Maker Dish for those times our coach is tucked under trees. If you do the same you won’t have trouble convincing the Rocket Scientists at Dish CS to flag your account Dish Outdoors.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom78418 View Post
Dish CS people are typically in aware Hopper can be used in a coach. With a Solo Node you can use the Hopper 1. A newer version of the Solo Node makes it possible to use the latest Hopper with the Winegard Traveler. Winegard will soon release a Hopper ready version of the Traveler.

We also have the Dish Walley and a Winegard Play Maker Dish for those times our coach is tucked under trees. If you do the same you won’t have trouble convincing the Rocket Scientists at Dish CS to flag your account Dish Outdoors.
So you do have a Hopper?

We have the Hopper 3 and since the DPH42 wasn't available when we got it (converts a DPP LNB to work with a DPH Hopper 3), I swapped the DPP LNB on the Travler to a DPH. That works fine as long as you disconnect the coax from the back of the Hopper 3 while the Winegard finds the satellites, we do that with an A/B switch. The DPH42 would be a cleaner install for most. I'm interested to hear more about the new Traveler controller.

OTOH I need to swap my LNB twice yearly anyway from DISH eastern arc to western arc and back again. We summer in RI and despite that Winegard and RF Mogul say (actually insist) it is "no problem" to hit 129 in New England, it is extremely unlikely. Whose yet, even if you could hit 129, you will find only SD locals - or none at all. For example the Providence market (where were are) has NO locals content on WA, I think the Boston market may be this way now as well.

Luckily, for EA the skew is near zero in New England so when I manually search for EA 72 on the Travler, my EA LNB will also bring in EA 61.5 with excellent signal strength (61.5 is where the HD locals are for the Providence and Boston markets).

It has been very frustrating to me that Winegard and RF Mogul refuse to support EA. Especially now that more and more markets in the east (Indiana included) are dropping HD locals on WA. If I didn't have so much of a content investment with DISH we would be switching to Direct because of this.

Of course if you don't spend much time in the north eastern US this is a non issue. Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #9

The issue with the DishAnywhere App for changing the locations is that you have to be first marked as Dish Outdoors. But most importantly, at this time, only users with the Pay-As-You-Go subscriptions can use the app to change your location. To be a PAYG subscriber, you need to own the receivers. There are Hopper owners on PAYG using the app.

The Hopper 3 uses a Solo Hub, not the Solo Nodde used by the Hopper 1 and Hopper 2.

I have been in the east and locked my Trav'ler on 72.7. While satellite 61.5 does show on the Switch Check but the channels on 61.5 did not come in. The spread between 110/119 is 9 degrees, between 61.5/72.7 is 11.2 degrees, too much. Spacing on the spherical arc does not change because of the Skew.

When we are in the east and want to use EA satellites for PTAT, we use our tripod dish with an EA LNBF head.

When I went to the Hopper 3, I did put the Hybrid DPH LNBF head on the Trav'ler. The result was that the dish would lock onto the satellites but sometimes it would take over an hour. It is a difference in voltages to the LNBF head.

When the DPH-42 Switch came out, I installed it on the Trav'ler and the seek times went back to the 3 minute range. The price for the DPH-42 Switch is only a few bucks more than a Hybrid DPH LNBF Head. If using a Hopper 3, get the DPH-42 Switch.

The seeking for an hour for two seasons cause an early failure of the Trav'ler on my Bounder. Even fiixed under warranty, it is better to let the Trav'ler work naturally and use the DPH-42 Switch for the Hopper 3.

It would be nice if both Winegard and RF Mogul would allow the user to change the LNBF and have the logic controller change the Skew settings.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
The issue with the DishAnywhere App for changing the locations is that you have to be first marked as Dish Outdoors. But most importantly, at this time, only users with the Pay-As-You-Go subscriptions can use the app to change your location. To be a PAYG subscriber, you need to own the receivers. There are Hopper owners on PAYG using the app.

The Hopper 3 uses a Solo Hub, not the Solo Nodde used by the Hopper 1 and Hopper 2.

I have been in the east and locked my Trav'ler on 72.7. While satellite 61.5 does show on the Switch Check but the channels on 61.5 did not come in. The spread between 110/119 is 9 degrees, between 61.5/72.7 is 11.2 degrees, too much. Spacing on the spherical arc does not change because of the Skew.

When we are in the east and want to use EA satellites for PTAT, we use our tripod dish with an EA LNBF head.

When I went to the Hopper 3, I did put the Hybrid DPH LNBF head on the Trav'ler. The result was that the dish would lock onto the satellites but sometimes it would take over an hour. It is a difference in voltages to the LNBF head.

When the DPH-42 Switch came out, I installed it on the Trav'ler and the seek times went back to the 3 minute range. The price for the DPH-42 Switch is only a few bucks more than a Hybrid DPH LNBF Head. If using a Hopper 3, get the DPH-42 Switch.

The seeking for an hour for two seasons cause an early failure of the Trav'ler on my Bounder. Even fiixed under warranty, it is better to let the Trav'ler work naturally and use the DPH-42 Switch for the Hopper 3.

It would be nice if both Winegard and RF Mogul would allow the user to change the LNBF and have the logic controller change the Skew settings.
Great info! Thanks for the clarification regarding the DISH requirement to own the receiver and be PAYG. You would think DISH could have told me that!

I have not had the problem with long seek times you described, maybe once or twice, but I do think I will convert to the DPH42 anyway, probably cheaper than the new alleged Hopper 3 traveler controller.

In the past at our spot here in RI, with the WA DPP LNB (standard travler issue) we could manual search on 61 and we would also get 72, albeit borderline signal strength. It was good enough tho to only fade during bad weather and we got thru two summer's that way. Also worked that way up in Maine.

Now I have an EA LNB installed on the Travler and there is no need to adjust skew at my RI location. Both 72 and 61 come in at about the same signal level. We have gone as far west as Ohio with that setup and still were able to use the EA LNB by manually tuning 72 and still get 61 at a reasonable signal level. Further west than that and 61 becomes too weak - I'm assuming (since I'm using the EA LNB), if I were able to adjust the skew I'd still be able to get both 61 and 72 well into Indiana (HD locals in the Elkhart area are on EA) . Never tried manually tweaking the skew, if I gotta go up on the roof anyway, may as well just change the LNB to WA.

Winegard & Mogul apparently consider the EA DISH market to be too small to bother writing the firmware to support the EA LNB.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #11

I think when the Trav'ler is in manual mode, there is no Skew as it is only trying to hit one satellite. But in the case of Rhode Island, the Skew is 91 degree which is pretty close to the default position. When I tried using the Trav'ler a few years back, we were using the DPP LNBF head. If I had thought about it, aiming for 61.5 would have been a better choice considering the 9 degree separation of the 119/129 LNBFs.

We used the Trav'ler up into Price Edward Island with satellite 129 only being a problem depending on the mountains. We actually found we had more luck with the WA in PEI than the EA because the elevation gets pretty high.

Since we now have the Super Joey 29 meter, setting up the tripod is not a breeze. We were using the tripod for the EA ad when the Trav'ler failed. So far, we have done 22 triod sets this year.

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish