Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dirty Question

To go where I've never seen anyone go before...sorry.

The macerator toilet in our coaches takes care of solids before they go into the black tank. Anyone ever try leaving the black tank valve open and flushing a couple times to keep the tank clear?

We plan on living in the coach in a RV port and based on the last six months of full timing we get about 3 to 4 days between blank tank flushes. It would be great to be able to leave that little black handle open.

I may try it and just see. Within the last two months we converted to detergent and water softener only in the black tank. It works GREAT. 1 cup of powder detergent and about a 1/4 cup of water softener and no problems. No more nasty chemicals.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

Might work with some extra flushes... We just dump the black tank every 3-4 days.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post

The macerator toilet in our coaches takes care of solids before they go into the black tank. Anyone ever try leaving the black tank valve open and flushing a couple times to keep the tank clear?
I'll be curious to see how that works out.

Perhaps, you could leave the black tank flush connected using a simple water hose timer to daily run a tank flush for a couple of minutes. Just a thought.

Take care,
Stu

Old 02-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #4

Do Not recommend that, it MAY work for a while but you are risking a paper and solids buildup that get hard to remove. JMHO
Old 02-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Why take the chance...the potential alternatives cost a lot of money to clean it out.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:13 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I don't think you will get enough water just by flushing. The bathroom sink is now plumbed to the black tank just for that reason. I don't think it is a practice I would do.

If you want to keep your tanks clean without ANY kind of tank treatment....this does work, you won't need any soap or water softener unless solids have been allowed to build up. The last few minutes is all that needs to be watched.

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Great video - pretty much what I do for all his reasons.

One other step we take is to add about 15% water to the tank via the flush at the end to ensure that there is enough liquid to avoid the dreaded pyramid.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #8

With a macerator one might not have a "pyramid" but more like (in bovine terminology) a "pot pie" or a cow pie.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
First, I stay fulltime in a 5r. I'm not familiar with the macerator thingy but this is what I do. And, yes I am familiar with the geo method. I pour a quarter to half of the Calgon water softener bottle down the toilet after securing the flush valve and before adding any detergent, deodorizer, dissolver, or water. I just feel the slippery is needed for coating the (interior) tube (to the tank) and being heaver than water I like to think it stays at the black valve opening. IMO this will ensure it starts with a gush, ensuring all of the sediment is removed. I'm not understanding the 3-4 days? I normally (during a extended stay) go a 7-14 days before needing to dump and flush. And, yes my black tank is a 35 gal tank. Why are you processing so often? One final thought. I have noticed at some CGs when having the proper rubber seal at the dump tube, if I set the adapter (rubber seal adapter) just off the seal it dumps so much faster, as if their is a vacuum. Why?
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The macerator grinds up the solids before they go in the tank. And the 3 - 4 days is due to the fact the toilet decides how much water it adds based on pushing the liquids only or liquids / solids button. In my opinion it adds too much water when flushing, but is not adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
First, I stay fulltime in a 5r. I'm not familiar with the macerator thingy but this is what I do. And, yes I am familiar with the geo method. I pour a quarter to half of the Calgon water softener bottle down the toilet after securing the flush valve and before adding any detergent, deodorizer, dissolver, or water. I just feel the slippery is needed for coating the (interior) tube (to the tank) and being heaver than water I like to think it stays at the black valve opening. IMO this will ensure it starts with a gush, ensuring all of the sediment is removed. I'm not understanding the 3-4 days? I normally (during a extended stay) go a 7-14 days before needing to dump and flush. And, yes my black tank is a 35 gal tank. Why are you processing so often? One final thought. I have noticed at some CGs when having the proper rubber seal at the dump tube, if I set the adapter (rubber seal adapter) just off the seal it dumps so much faster, as if their is a vacuum. Why?
Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
YC1

Coachman, you should be able to program the water level. At least you can on mine. I am connected all the time and just make it a habit to dump. I installed another sprayer that sits near the sensors and use quick disconnects to connect to either sprayer.
Generally I just use the one near the sensors. I too have considered leaving the valve open but that could lead to additional gasses that might come out our vent.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
You can program the water level, but not how much it rinses during the flush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Coachman, you should be able to program the water level. At least you can on mine. I am connected all the time and just make it a habit to dump. I installed another sprayer that sits near the sensors and use quick disconnects to connect to either sprayer.
Generally I just use the one near the sensors. I too have considered leaving the valve open but that could lead to additional gasses that might come out our vent.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #13
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
You can program the water level, but not how much it rinses during the flush.
If boondocking, we turn off the water pump only when extra water is needed. But you are right about the amount of water needed to flush these things.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote