RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
What kind of receiver did you put in the MH? If it was a mini Genie it would still work in the driveway if within reach of the Main Genie signal. Once out of range, it would no longer work.

If it was a stand alone receiver, it should have worked if receiving a signal.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaspiveys View Post
I have the traveler dish and purchased an additional receiver from DTV for the RV. I went though their activation process and tested in in the RV and it worked fine in the driveway. However, on our last trip it would not link up at the campground so I called DTV. The told me I had to take it the RV dealer that installed the dish and let them install the receiver. I pushed politely for a better explanation but only got that since the receiver was no longer at my home the RV dealer would need to resolve the issue.

I just turned it off and used the park cable for the rest of the trip, we do not watch a lot of TV anyway but I would like for it to work.

Any thoughts/ideas?

BTW it worked fine when we got back home, LoL!

I had the same exact thing happen... out on a trip and at several different locations I could not Dtv to lock on.. in calling I got the same response.. it's a issue with your dish and call wingard ... I got home and tried to connect in my driveway and it connected almost instantly.. the book still being written on this one...

lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Please don't take this as a Direct bash, it is not meant that way. After having both, and trying to put Direct in the MH, I found out the DISH was much more RV friendly when calling. At least they knew what a motor home was. I am not say that DISH is much better CS wise, but with all the tailgater dishes and Pay as You Go plans, they at least understand on the road problems and the needs of RV'ers. "If" you get to the right person.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #32

Solid Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Hmmm, I think you may not have the right receiver. It it a client type, very small and compact unit? If so it may rely on RF from the main receiver. Call solid signal and ask for Essa. He will help you sort it out.
Let me correct something, I purchased the receiver from solid signal and they were absolutely no help once I received the receiver. They were very helpful in selecting a receiver for my dish and I went with an HR24. When it would not work I called them for help and the person I talked to told me he was not familiar with my dish and did not have a manual for it. He recommended I call DTV or Winegard. He offered to download the manual but calling one of them would probably be quicker. I was very disappointed especially after all the positive comments I have seen on here.

Once DTV found out it was in an RV the only answer they had to any question was you need to take it back to the RV dealer.

I don't have a trip schedule till March, so it will sit till then.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Let me correct something, I purchased the receiver from solid signal and they were absolutely no help once I received the receiver. They were very helpful in selecting a receiver for my dish and I went with an HR24. When it would not work I called them for help and the person I talked to told me he was not familiar with my dish and did not have a manual for it. He recommended I call DTV or Winegard. He offered to download the manual but calling one of them would probably be quicker. I was very disappointed especially after all the positive comments I have seen on here.

Once DTV found out it was in an RV the only answer they had to any question was you need to take it back to the RV dealer.

I don't have a trip schedule till March, so it will sit till then.
I'm willing to bet you have a land bases genie. I.E. it's meant to be stationary near the main receiver. DTV won't sell you the proper, mobile style which is compatible with your SK300, or SWM dish, which ever one you have. Solid signal may not be the only place that can help, but they can sell you the proper receiver. Mine cost $69/each.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #34

Quote:
I'm willing to bet you have a land bases genie. I.E. it's meant to be stationary near the main receiver. DTV won't sell you the proper, mobile style which is compatible with your SK300, or SWM dish, which ever one you have. Solid signal may not be the only place that can help, but they can sell you the proper receiver. Mine cost $69/each.
It is not a mini receiver nor a genie, it is listed as a supported receiver by winegard and solid signal confirmed it before I ordered it. It works at my home and at my storage barn which is in my zip code, it will probably work away from my zip code but I could not get anyone to even help troubleshoot it.

Will work on it again in March, maybe I can get someone at solid signal to help then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HR24_zoom.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	148646   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR24_2_zoom.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	148647  

Old 01-09-2017, 05:21 AM   #35

Quote:
It is not a mini receiver nor a genie, it is listed as a supported receiver by winegard and solid signal confirmed it before I ordered it. It works at my home and at my storage barn which is in my zip code, it will probably work away from my zip code but I could not get anyone to even help troubleshoot it.

Will work on it again in March, maybe I can get someone at solid signal to help then.
Ok, I'm stumped
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #36

thanks

Quote:
Ok, I'm stumped
Thanks, so you understand my frustration --

OP, sorry for hijacking this post!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #37

Michael, we have had an HR24 for years in two Motorhomes and a 5er.

I'm certainly not an ace but if you want, we can try to coordinate schedules and speak while we are both at our Motorhomes and I will try to help you make some progress.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, so you understand my frustration --

OP, sorry for hijacking this post!
It's not really a highjack and why some of us have gone back to DISH. When I "thought" I was receiving the Direct Traveler on the Entegra, Direct sold me the H24 for the MH, so that is a good receiver for the Traveler.
When the MH arrived with a DISH Traveler I needed to return the H24. That was almost impossible! Direct TV couldn't even understand why that would be in a MH when they sold it to me for the MH. HUH!? I can understand your frustration. For any assistance, Wineguard will be of much better help.

Thankfully I had an old DISH receiver that could be used in the MH until my 2 year contract with Direct was up. Switching back today. With all of the RV parks in my area, I found a DISH rep that knows MH"s and what is needed for a Traveler or a Dome. Nice to have someone local to call if there is a problem, even while traveling.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #39

Bama......

I may be completely misunderstanding, but you say your symptoms are that it works at home and doesn't work on trips..... right? If you know all of this already, then I apologize for taking up your time but it might be useful to someone else.

You are aware that satellites, regardless of Dish or Direct, somehow send their signals in "spot beams", and in my experience those spotbeams are 300-400 miles across. Your equipment is set up to be in a specific spot beam (that is, where your equipment is registered) and if you take your equipment out of your spotbeam, you will stop getting any signals. You will get them again when you move back into your spotbeam. That is the fundamental problem with RV based satellite service. So, to deal with that, once you move out of your spotbeam and get no signals, then you have to call customer service and try to explain to them you have equipment in a motorhome and you move from place to place and they want to know your new exact address, the county you are now in, etc etc. and they will reprogram you to your new location. Problem is, if you move ~ 300 miles or more, you will move out of that spotbeam again and you have to repeat the problem. I have written about the frustration of this issue repeatedly, and some people seem to be able to deal with this better than others, but I have had huge problems..... At some point, they will simply refuse to change your spot beam. None of their receivers are designed to pick up sat signals anywhere in the US... that is so advertisers know who is watching their damn commercials and know how much to pay the local stations for the "viewers"..... it all boils down to who pays who how much money.

So, if you drive from NYC to LA and it takes you 10 days and you want to watch local channels at days end every day, you probably have to have them switch your locals 10 times. Very frustrating!!!!

The only way to avoid that is that DirectTV has a service called DNS (distant national service I think it is) which will let you see all of the local channels either out of stations in LA or out of stations in NYC. We have it, but ours was assigned out of LA (even though we live and travel most of the time east of the Mississippi River) and with DNS service, you get all the channels regardless of where you go in North America...... either eastern time (if NYC) or Pacific Time (if LA). It is a pain but we like to watch local news and weather as well as sat channels, so it was the only way that I could do that all of the time anywhere I traveled and it costs me an extra $15 a month, but I have eliminated heart-attack-inducing (at least blood pressure elevating) frustrating calls with either Direct or Dish Customer Service (all of them are complete morons when it comes to motorhomes). Sorry, but they are. To get DNS service, you literally must prove to the FCC that you are a motorhome (send in your registration) and fill out paperwork and then wait for weeks for the FCC and the sat provider to OK everything before you get the service. And this all is needed to let some local TV stations (local on where you are now) earn a penny or two from each advertiser because you are watching their commercials..... amazing.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary, it is my understanding (at least with Dish, not sure about Direct) that the spot beams only apply to the local networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox).

That was the case when I traveled back East with Dish in my previous MH in 2009.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #41

That's the way mine works with direct also. I've been 2500 miles away from SC and still receive my Direct programs. I only lose my local channels. I just use my Ota antenna to pick up locals wherever I am.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #42

Same here, I get all of the 255 DirecTV channels, I don't watch, everywhere along the East coast.

I don't get all local network channels, unless in my home area, but being my home address is Toms River NJ, and they don't have locals in the area, I get the NYC networks ( ABC, NBC, CBS ) everywhere.

I lose PBS, METV and channels like that.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish