RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
An easy way around the two accounts conversation with Dish is to put one account under DH, the other under DW. The house account is in my name, the RV account is in Rick’s name. No problem and no confusion from Dish.
That would be two subscriptions. I believe the goal was to have both locations (house & RV) under the same subscription.

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
That would be two subscriptions. I believe the goal was to have both locations (house & RV) under the same subscription.
Yes indeed that's the goal.

Dish Hopper = $7 more plus $7 per joey, NOT $100 more!

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Outdoor status just means you are using an RV. I have Outdoor status and use subscribed equipment.

You can use the MyDISH app to change your Service Address only if you are a Pay-As-You-Go subscriber.

Just because you own your equipment does not make you a PAYG subscriber. But you have to own your equipment to be a PAYG subscriber.

The definition differences are important when working with Dish for what you want.
I never did get the PAYG to work, end eventually gave up.

My first "Dish" was a VIP211k purchased on a whim at Camping World in 2010. I called the number on the box to turn it on, told them I was an RV and wanted to be able to turn it on and off...
It never worked that way.
Double billing, late notices if I left it "off" for more than a month, blah blah. I never successfully started and stopped my service.

But I did like it so much I got a hopper2 for the house and dumped the cable!

And on and on to now...lol.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Outdoor status just means you are using an RV. I have Outdoor status and use subscribed equipment.

You can use the MyDISH app to change your Service Address only if you are a Pay-As-You-Go subscriber.

Just because you own your equipment does not make you a PAYG subscriber. But you have to own your equipment to be a PAYG subscriber.

The definition differences are important when working with Dish for what you want.
So OK, what I want is to have a Hopper AND the ability to change the locals with the MyDish app. Any way to do that? I have only the Hopper on the coach and we are full time so no other equipment or home base.

I have tried on numerous occasions but Dish keeps referring me to the statement below. Which apparently then is just a different way of saying I need a PAYG account?

NOTE: This feature is NOT AVAILABLE FOR ACCOUNTS WITH DISH OUTDOORS AND DISH HOME EQUIPMENT. If you have a residential account with both services, we are unable to offer this service at this time. To manage locals from your DISH Outdoors/Home account, contact us.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, this is the email I received from DISH, but Iam a home account with one mobile receiver. They "said" that locals may be coming in the future...heck at least this is a step in the right direction.

Going to the big game this football season? Whether you're hosting the best tailgate or watching on the road from the comfort of your RV, DISH makes it easy to manage your Outdoor equipment on the go! Visit the Account tab in the MyDISH App or the My Equipment tab on mydish.com to turn on your purchased equipment. And once football season is over, you can turn off your purchased equipment the same way!
  1. Download the MyDISH App from the App Store or Google Play Store
  2. Enter/Create your Username to log in to the app
  3. Open the Account tab
  4. Select Current Equipment
  5. Select Manage Equipment
  6. Select the toggle to turn on/off the receiver
  7. Select Next to review changes
  8. Review the changes and select Submit
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
So OK, what I want is to have a Hopper AND the ability to change the locals with the MyDish app. Any way to do that? I have only the Hopper on the coach and we are full time so no other equipment or home base.

I have tried on numerous occasions but Dish keeps referring me to the statement below. Which apparently then is just a different way of saying I need a PAYG account?

NOTE: This feature is NOT AVAILABLE FOR ACCOUNTS WITH DISH OUTDOORS AND DISH HOME EQUIPMENT. If you have a residential account with both services, we are unable to offer this service at this time. To manage locals from your DISH Outdoors/Home account, contact us.

Thanks for the clarification.
Note the DISH HOME EQUIPMENT. If you have subscription equipment, i.e. equipment you have not purchased, you can not have PAYG.

You can purchase all your equipment and then change to a PAYG acoount.

However you desire of using the MyDish App to change your Service Address is not that great of a feature.

I would never purchase my equipment (other than the Trav'ler dish). Technology changes and I like to be able to change when it happens. Unlike 12 years ago when you leased equipment, there is no cost advantage to purchasing the equipment. Then you saved the lease fee which paid out in three years. When Dish changed the policy, you pay the same whether you get "free" equipment from Dish or buying your equipment.

Now to changing your Service Address. The best system is using Dish Chat. It is faster than talking on the phone and there is far less confusion caused by hearing, on my part or the CSR's. I use a script:
"I am an RVer and have just move to a new location. I need to change my Service Address (only) to <new service address> and have the Locals changed to that location. Leave the Billing Address as it is."
after I enter my account number and account PIN.

A couple on minutes and the Service Address is changed.

There is an advantage of submitting the address you want to use rather than the GPS coordinates of the MyDish App. If you understand the range of the Spotbeams used for Locals, then you might want to use a slightly different location (within the Spotbeams).

An example, we really don't care where the Locals come from but we want the HD Locals to use PTAT with Hopper 3. We were traveling in the East in Indiana and up through Michigan and across the Upper Peninsula. We used Ft Wayne Indiana as it is a CONUS (whole country) beam. We did not have to change at every stop, only aim the dish.

PTAT takes about 4 hours after you change a Service Address to start recording. You receive the channels but the Scheduler does it job a few hours ahead.

For sports people, the selection of Service Address might mean which games you can receive.

And as a full-timer, if you plan to travel in the East, you should get a ground tripod and a DPP 1000.2 dish with an EA LNBF for places that the Trav'ler cannot get HD Locals. Also having a WA LNBF covers situation where the trees get in the way.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Rob, this is the email I received from DISH, but Iam a home account with one mobile receiver. They "said" that locals may be coming in the future...heck at least this is a step in the right direction.
The MyDish changing of your Service Address will probably not happen ever. One of the problems Dish has to deal with is"movers". Movers are people who want to receive Locals from a different place than where they live. This is illegal under the FCC which determined Designated Marketing Areas (DMA) to protect the broadcasters and their ad revenue. Broadcasters charge advertisers based upon the probably market. If everyone in the DMA choose to use, say, New York, then the broadcasters in the DMA would loose their ad revenue.

The FCC made special provisions for RVers and truckers who move around because of their lifestyle. At one time, you actually had to register your RV or truck with Dish and DirecTV to recieve Locals outside of your Billing Address.

Moving is not where the Feds show up and issue tickets. Dish and DirecTV face the Broadcasters in the FCC court and if they allow Movers who are not qualified, they get fined or loose license capabilities. This happen to Dish many years ago and Dish lost the ability to offer Distance Network Services (DNS). So you can say you don't care but it can affect you and all the subscribers.

Now there is a certain amount of security from moving from using the smartphone builtin GPS. That and the requirement that your account is marked Outdoors Dish protects Dish from FCC charges. When calling in to a Dish CSR to change your Service Address, the CSR is the filter to whether you have the right to Move.

With all that in mind, why would you in a fixed location want to be able to change your Service Address? And why would Dish go through the effort to expose themselves to FCC violations
Old 09-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
I have used Dish in a MH since 2013, changing the service address by phone when we were going to be at a park more than a day or 2. The only issue is communications when I call after about 5:00 Eastern. I have a Hopper and Joey in the S&B and a VIP211Z in the MH. When they announced ability to change locals on the app about a year ago they annotated my account as “Outdoor” but I was still unable to change locals with the app. Finally a “senior” tech said it was because of the Hopper on my account. He said Hoppers are not authorized for use in RVs therefore an account with a Hopper isn’t authorized to change locals with the app. He suggested a separate account for the RV but that is additional expense. I can activate and deactivate the 211 on the MyDISH website or on the app which changes my bill $7/month. I have changed locals with the chat feature a time or 2. An issue for some having all receivers on one account is when you change service address it changes for all your receivers so anyone still in your S&B loses local channels.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #51

Well your "senior tech" is wrong. You can have a Hopper in an RV. There is no Dish Policy against DVRs in RV, only the everlasting "wives tales".

There are people with Hoppers on Pay-As-You-Go accounts and they have access to the MyDish App change of Service Address.

The key is not the Hopper, it is ownership of the equipment for PAYG and Outdoors Dish setting to use the MyDish App change of Service Address.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Dish Question

When I bought my Cornerstone last fall Dish said they will not put a leased Hopper in an RV. They would put a leased 211 and another receiver, the DVR feature was the issue. This was from Dish and Winegard. Guess they are members of the same wives’ club?

Ownership is the key. Once you own it Dish doesn’t care what you do with it because they will no longer service it. This is from a chat I just had with Dish:

When an account has both home equipment and Outdoor equipment, the address cannot be updated through the website or app. *An account has to be "Outdoor Only" in order to be able to update the locals through the app. *We can easily update the address via chat for you.

The option to change locals for Outdoor Only accounts was added in the last few months, so that may be something that is added for accounts with both types of equipment in the future.

Correct. Your Hopper and Joey are leased equipment with a regular installation. *The VIP211 receiver that you have belongs to you and is considered "Outdoor" equipment, so it can be deactivated when not in use.

To be an Outdoor Only account, all of the equipment is purchased, the account requires advanced payment, and it is not serviced by Dish since the equipment is mobile.

BTW, I bought a Hopper 2 and solo node to have installed when I picked up my new coach last fall but the AV shelf in an ‘18 45Y isn’t deep enough to accommodate a Hopper. Luckily the local Dish store bought it back from me for a small restocking fee.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
I was Payg for about 6 months, but realize Payg plans are at least 10-20 a month more than std service. Since we full time and would rarely ,if ever, not want service so it did not make financial sense. For a part timer it probably works well. Changing online with the app would be great but chat with preset scripts ( I don’t type fast on a phone ) is super easy.
Lately we use the flex plan and add or subtract packages as we need them. For example , If we can get locals over the air for a long period we can drop locals ( online) and the dish tuner, with the right adapter will integrate them into the guide and recording schedule. This saves 12 bucks a month. Not make or break but certainly convenient .
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
When an account has both home equipment and Outdoor equipment, the address cannot be updated through the website or app. *An account has to be "Outdoor Only" in order to be able to update the locals through the app. *We can easily update the address via chat for you.

The option to change locals for Outdoor Only accounts was added in the last few months, so that may be something that is added for accounts with both types of equipment in the future.

Correct. Your Hopper and Joey are leased equipment with a regular installation. *The VIP211 receiver that you have belongs to you and is considered "Outdoor" equipment, so it can be deactivated when not in use.

To be an Outdoor Only account, all of the equipment is purchased, the account requires advanced payment, and it is not serviced by Dish since the equipment is mobile.
Outdoor Dish has nothing to do with equipment ownership. I am an Outdoor Dish account with subscription equipment on a regular subscription with a Hopper 3 and two Joeys and I am a Full-Timer.

Pay-As-You-Go and Outdoor Dish is the qualifier for the MyDish App to change Service Address.

We have to remember that RVers are a very small portion of the 14 million Dish Subscribers and to expect the Dish CSRs to know all the stories is unreasonable. I wonder how many people on this forum who have Hoppers in their RVs it will take before that story stops.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
A bit off topic but thought it might be interesting while on a Dish discussion.

A few weeks ago I had a Dish Tech. at my S&B to set me up for 4k tv. I noticed on his Dish service van it said Samsung Appliance Repair Service. I questioned him about it and pointed to my parked Entegra saying I had a Samsung frig. with the ice maker freeze up problem that there seems to be no fix for. He said lets take a look. When he saw it he said he had fixed that problem many times, mostly in S&B"s but also a few MH's with that model. He said Samsung had released a fix kit for it earlier this year. After taking care of the TV thing he showed me how to completely disassemble and check the ice maker. He spent about 30 minutes on it and felt confident I should not have any more problems wit the ice maker. No charge, but he did get a nice tip and a big thanks.After three weeks it looks okay. Fingers crossed. I think I got lucky.Who would have ever thought that A Dish Tech would be fixing my Samsung frig.

Not all Dish techs are Samsung certified. I talked with Dish and was told they are in a joint venture of some kind with Samsung and can provide requested Samsung service separate from Dish service.Just a let ya know.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #56

Pat, Not to change the subject even further (lol), but...

Did this friendly Dish/Samsung tech install this "fix kit"?
(and can I please have details on the kit and perhaps where and how to get one?)

If no kit, what did he do to fix your icemaker?
(so I can fix mine?)

Tags
dish