Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 05:37 AM   #29

On the 4k thing, my understanding is there isn't actually any 4k programming on Dish?
The system does support 4k from netflix, youtube, and hulu (through what needs to be a really fast internet connection) but at least as of 2 years ago, there is no 4k coming down from the sats.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #30

To clarify the second hopper3, they told me to contact a local Dish Dealer and PURCHASE from them a hopper3.
That would give me two, one I lease from Dish and a second I own.

I haven't talked to a dealer about price.
Hopper3's are available new from various sellers on the internet for as low as $200.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Pat, the Hooper 3 for the MH is the same thing I was told when I called in July. I will call one more time before installing the RF Mogul and see if I can buy one outright for the MH. I was told no the last time I called, but DISH is getting more RV friendly, so maybe. Still don't know if it can be turned off at the end of our travel season like the Wally can.
The deal with subscription equipment is that Dish expects to recover the cost of the equipment in the monthly plan. If you want to only pay for some months of the year, the Pay-As-You-Go plan is for you. However, all the equipment for a PAYG plan must be purchased.

If you put a regular subscription on suspension, then there is a monthly fee.

For the record, Dish is far more RV friendly than DirecTV starting with the assortment of dishes available and the PAYG plan.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Does one Wally handle all four TV's? I wasn't sure if we needed to get four or one or what?
The Wally will work with all 4 TV's in your Coach. You use the HDMI Matrix to choose what input you want on each TV. Thats the little remote with 4 buttons on the Aspire.
One Receiver means all TV are watching the same thing. If you want to watch something different say in the bedroom vs the living room then you would need 2 receivers(Wallys)
I have Dish at home for my S&B so adding another receiver only cost $7 a month. Then I have all my same channels in the RV as I do at home.
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
The deal with subscription equipment is that Dish expects to recover the cost of the equipment in the monthly plan. If you want to only pay for some months of the year, the Pay-As-You-Go plan is for you. However, all the equipment for a PAYG plan must be purchased.

If you put a regular subscription on suspension, then there is a monthly fee.

For the record, Dish is far more RV friendly than DirecTV starting with the assortment of dishes available and the PAYG plan.

Dale, that's the spot we are in. We don't want to rent the Hopper 3 because the rig will go into storage on 11-1 and won't come out until mid-April after tax season. If I can buy the Hopper 3 then that may be the best route for me to go. All of this is new for us as we have never used satellite TV in an RV before.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #34

I have Dish in the house and when we travel I take the Hopper 3 from the house and put it in the motor home. For the bedroom TVs in the house and motor home I use Amazon Fire TV and the Dish Anywhere app instead of Joeys. Works great. One Amazon Fire was free and the other was cheap and no additional monthly cost.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #35

I think I may have some insight now so here goes. If i purchase a Hopper 3 and two Joey's then we can have three different channels being watched at the same time, correct? The Hopper would accommodate the TV in the living room and the two Joey's would accommodate the TV in the bedroom and outside. Am I on the right page or should I just hook up to the campground cable and figure the money on the Winegard was just for show?
Old 09-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Ed, most GC cable is only marginal SD anymore .
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #37

Quote:
I think I may have some insight now so here goes. If i purchase a Hopper 3 and two Joey's then we can have three different channels being watched at the same time, correct? The Hopper would accommodate the TV in the living room and the two Joey's would accommodate the TV in the bedroom and outside. Am I on the right page or should I just hook up to the campground cable and figure the money on the Winegard was just for show?
You are correct. watch 3 different shows on 3 different TV's at the same time.

Plus you could record 13 other shows at the same time. (hopper 3 has 16 tuners!)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:48 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Right. And if you own the Hopper your account will be eligible for "Outdoor" status, meaning DISH will let you change your own service address on the fly using the MyDISH app on a smartphone. No need to call or chat to get the locals wherever you are.

Also, note that wireless Joey's can be specified if desired in lieu of hardwired. The coax wiring on your 2018 is there and ready to tap into, but for older coaches where the coax may not be where you need it the wireless option makes for an easy solution.

When I upgraded to Hopper 3 last year I went thru the DISH Concierge service who seem way more knowledgeable and helpful than standard DISH support. Among several other beneficial changes,
they suggested I buy, not lease, the Joey's even if I was leasing the Hopper. Main reason being when owned they can be activated/deactivated on the fly as needed (if leased, deactivating would require you send the unit back). We only needed one Joey for the bedroom and it doesn't get used much so we save the $7mo until we need it. Cost to purchase the wireless Joey version at the time was just $25 (direct from DISH) and that included the router, so for us it was a no brainer.

Also don't know if you are aware, but using a Hopper 3 with the winegard Trav'ler will require the purchase of a DPH42 switch at about $80. The DPH42 converts the Dish Pro Plus (DPP) LNB on the winegard to work with the newer Dish Pro Hybrid (DPH) technology employed in the Hopper 3. If you are using hardwired Joeys you will also need a Hybrid Solo Hub ($12). See full details here: https://rvseniormoments.com/tech-doc...-your-travler/
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:10 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
On the 4k thing, my understanding is there isn't actually any 4k programming on Dish?
The system does support 4k from netflix, youtube, and hulu (through what needs to be a really fast internet connection) but at least as of 2 years ago, there is no 4k coming down from the sats.
My DISH guide shows several channels with 4K content. I haven't paid much attention because I don't have a 4K TV yet, but I believe most if not all of those are pay per view currently.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Right. And if you own the Hopper your account will be eligible for "Outdoor" status, meaning DISH will let you change your own service address on the fly using the MyDISH app on a smartphone. No need to call or chat to get the locals wherever you are.
Outdoor status just means you are using an RV. I have Outdoor status and use subscribed equipment.

You can use the MyDISH app to change your Service Address only if you are a Pay-As-You-Go subscriber.

Just because you own your equipment does not make you a PAYG subscriber. But you have to own your equipment to be a PAYG subscriber.

The definition differences are important when working with Dish for what you want.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
My DISH guide shows several channels with 4K content. I haven't paid much attention because I don't have a 4K TV yet, but I believe most if not all of those are pay per view currently.
So far, most of Dish 4K Content is delivered via the internet, not satellite. Video on Demand and Netflix. There are some live sports events via satellite.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
An easy way around the two accounts conversation with Dish is to put one account under DH, the other under DW. The house account is in my name, the RV account is in Rick’s name. No problem and no confusion from Dish.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish