RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #15

There are other valves which can be used on the Onan drain and the Cummins drain that are not constructed that way and do have a dust cover incorporated and no drain stopcock arm. I have forgotten the name of the one that I installed, but it protrudes only an inch below the pan and the oil is released simply by loosened a nut type valve that is flush with the oil pan. It is very well constructed IMO and solid brass. Much nicer set up than the Fumoto and much better engineered and much less danger in my opinion.

Now, just as an observation.... we have here exactly what we should have. Some people like the Fumoto and advocate its use. The OP has concerns about the use of the Fumoto.... some find his concern has merit and some think he is worrying about nothing. Both of those opinions are worthwhile to the owner who has read that some have done this and are debating whether this is a good idea.... knowing the pluses and minuses to any action is what most people think is good/smart. There is another thread on here were it appears the OP thinks that only one side of an issue should be debated and anyone who doesn't agree with their opinions should go pound sand. No one gets to set one opinion and not have it challenged or half the opinions expressed here on this thread need to be dropped for having and expressing a different opinion. That is not the mod's job.

That's the way it works.... some people like something and some don't. Both are equally valid. Life.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #16

Why not find the Femco drain plug that fits the cummins?

https://www.femco.com/oil-drainplug/

Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #17

I have a Femco on the generator, because the Fumoto stuck down way too far. The location of the generator drain plug increases the likelihood of road debris becoming a factor. I like the Femco because it is internally controlled, as opposed to the Fumoto with a lever.

Before anyone assumes I donít like Fumoto valves, I have one on the ILS9.

There are 2 concerns I can identify. One is the road hazard risk, the other is sabotage.

IMHO, the road hazard risk is as high for the Fumoto as it is for any of a number of other things you could be concerned about. Along the drivers side, you could lose the generator exhaust, the Aquahot exhaust, or hoses relating to the radiator due to road debris. On the passengerís side, you could lose the hydraulic cooling fan and associated heat exchanger. You could also lose the exhaust pipe.

In short, there are a lot of critical components that evidently survive the real world.

While something could certainly bounce up with the force necessary to clean the Fumoto from the pan. I suspect this possibility is equally likely for any of a number of critical items mounted on the engine.

For me, the road hazard issue is not a show stopper. If you want to hedge your bets, simply go with a Femco because it is a lower profile overall and would be very difficult to kill with road debris.

Regarding sabotage, truckers are the least of my concerns. Iím always cognizant that they are earning a living while Iím enjoying the good life. As such, I try very hard to avoid slowing them down, either on the road or at a fuel stop.

That leaves everyone else.

How many people even know where the engine is on one of these coaches?

Forget I asked.

If you are unlucky enough to be in the same vicinity as someone wishing you harm, there are so very many easier, quicker, and cleaner ways to destroy your machine.

This is why we all have insurance.

Al, without knowing you I cannot make any meaningful suggestions regarding how to manage the anxiety we all feel periodically about our rolling homes.

What I can say is that there is no universally satisfactory answer for all risks once you get out of bed in the morning.

I will offer that my approach is this: Everything I see and touch will be gone in 1,000 years. In the brief time I have with my loved ones, I do my best to savor their company and our experiences together. I work hard to be a good person, a better Christian, and the best Father and Husband possible.

Beyond that, Things are just that.

Things.

-Matt
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
How hard is it for some idiot to slide under my oil pan like I did and flip that little lever and let my oil loose when I am not looking. And I can easily picture road debris possibly doing the same thing and/or simply wiping that brass fitting clean off the pan. A decent recap alligator could easily destroy that fitting. it is brass and hollow and sticks out into the wind.
Well, yes bad things can happen. The odds of anyone going under your vehicle to open your Fumoto valve are exactly 0. Nobody knows it's there, so if they're planning to drain your oil, they're going to go under your vehicle with a wrench and do it no matter what you've got there. You can't stop a determined vandal.
Odds of road debris actually hitting the valve and breaking it off are astronomically low. You'd have a really hard time hitting that valve with a rock from 10 feet away and you know what you're aiming at. Road debris isn't aiming. It's just bouncing around.

Quote:
Do you guys really trust that little valve to keep your oil in? Truly? Appears to be a disaster waiting to happen from a misguided prankster to road debris my imagination has you covered.
Yes, I do trust that little valve. I've had a Fumoto drain valve on every vehicle I've owned, well except the motorcycles, since the late 90's. I haven't had a single problem yet. It's a simple quarter turn ball valve with the handle rendered immobile by a cutout in the housing secured by a spring. There's really nothing to fail. Even if the spring somehow explodes and falls off, it takes some effort to turn the ball valve, so it won't just open and spill everywhere even if it didn't have that spring.

Is it really vandals and road debris that you're worried about?
Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #19

All good comments.

I could not remember the name of the valve that I used..... thanks Jeanne.... its the Femco Valve. I thought its design was better all around than the Fumoto, but that is an individual decision. I was very impressed with its engineering and construction. Give them a look.

I am sure either one will do the job.... I just thought that this Femco was a well engineered drain. It also has a plastic pipe section that screws directly onto the valve that then goes into your oil pan or basin. No drips and no mess.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
All good comments.

I could not remember the name of the valve that I used..... thanks Jeanne.... its the Femco Valve. I thought its design was better all around than the Fumoto, but that is an individual decision. I was very impressed with its engineering and construction. Give them a look.

I am sure either one will do the job.... I just thought that this Femco was a well engineered drain.

Gary
Seems like many folks have to many things on their minds.
3 Rvs 6 airplanes 4 boats 2 race cars. Quick drains on most and never gave it a second thought.
But thats just me. Quick and clean works for me.
Perhaps a little more trust in humanity is in order.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #21

I have a Femco on the generator and a Fumoto on the Cummins. Not worried.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #22

Silly me. Sounds like everyone has had good luck with the Fumoto.

The outlet ID of the Fumoto valve fits a M8x1 bottoming tap perfectly. Four threads now hold a hidden set screw that will prevent inadvertent draining if the lever is moved somehow. Quick to remove at change time and doesn't affect the valve operation otherwise. Makes me feel better having an extra level of accidental drain protection.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #23

I lose more oil out my slobber tube than Fumoto valve. Besides I check my oil before I leave.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #24

I just screw a plug into the end of the quick drain valve. Belt and suspenders.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #25

even Fumoto recommends a safety

Resurrected this after spending some time on the Fumoto website and talking to others with similar concerns.

Turns out Fumoto sells a little spring wire clip that needs a tool to install and remove that blocks the slot for the lever to prevent accidental lever movement. They recommend it for off road, construction and farm equipment especially. And it would slow down any miscreant that thought moving the lever was an easy prank. With the clip installed the valve seems much more robust to vandalism and road debris although that brass valve is still going to shear off in the event of a serious impact IMHO.

Tags
rust