RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

Do you store with jacks down?

I'm just curious, do most of you store your rigs with the hydraulic jacks down, or do you leave them up? I was told it's a good idea to store it with the jacks down because it takes so much of the weight off the tires. I'm just not sure if it causes any long term harm to the jacks by having the weight on them for extended periods. Any thoughts?

RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Interesting question...I'd only say that at the factory, they are parked with no jacks down. At dealers, there are usually parked without jacks down. I have parked with jacks down for four months each of the last two winters (concrete pads, two different coaches) with no ill effects. It would appear to me that even with jacks down on the CS, that the tires still take some of the weight, as compared to Anthem at times where the front tires were virtually off the ground (needed to reset the null, but never got around to it). JMHO

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was told to do the same thing so My jacks are down in storage. The theory sounds good to me but only time will tell. I guess if it's going to sit for months at a time it should be better on the side walls and help with getting flat spots on the tires.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

When the jacks are down the cylinder surfaces are open to corrosion. I'd keep that in mind. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #5

The jacks are more protected from the elements if retracted
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I don't think there is a correct answer for that. I had the Equalizer jacks on my previous MH. Back then they suggest jacks down for the reasons you described. The Entegra has the same jacks, but this time as Equalizer was replacing the jack motor, they said jacks up for storage and wipe them down with WD40. Last time they said NO WD40, silicone spray only. I have had both answers from the same manufacture.

I still store with the jacks down and wipe the pistons down with WD40 or silicone before coming out of storage. Lately I have had the jacks up checking air pressure during storage. I am holding air fine
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

For long-term storage --

With the rig aired up, place concrete blocks on firm footing under each jack and pack with thinner boards to within 1/2" of the jacks.

Then dump the air. (obviously only works on air bag suspension)

Almost no weight on the tyres and no jack shaft exposed. If desired for a perfect job, reduce air pressure in tyres to about 20% of normal.

Alternative method if fully resting on tyres is to pump the tyres up to maximum sidewall pressure
Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

When we first got our MH (now sold), I parked it down the side of the garage with the jacks down. After three days there was rust on the piston rods. It cleaned off ok and I retracted the jacks.

I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer to ask if it was advisable to have them down when stored. The reply was "As long as you're not too close to salt water, it will be fine if you wipe the rods down with hydraulic fluid every two weeks or so." I wrote back and said "How close?" The reply was "within 60 miles". We're about 60 yards away from a salt-water marina. Jacks stayed up!

I did consider using four heavy-duty jack stands, but in the end I just used to go out once a month, raise each side off the ground with the jacks, rotate the wheels 90 degrees and put it back down.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two arguments in favor of jacks down One against:

1: Take a load off (The springs that is)
2: Keep the rig both stable and level if you need to enter for any reason

Against: Rust on the pistions...Solution RTFM and find the recommended lubricant,,Wipe 'em down when you store,, and again when you return to service
Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #10

Do whatever you feel like ....your tires are going to "expire" no matter what you do.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
I'm just curious, do most of you store your rigs with the hydraulic jacks down, or do you leave them up? I was told it's a good idea to store it with the jacks down because it takes so much of the weight off the tires. I'm just not sure if it causes any long term harm to the jacks by having the weight on them for extended periods. Any thoughts?
RedRaider
Weight on the jacks long term should cause no problems, (but rust/corrosion might).
My 18 year old coach has never been stored with the jacks extended.
Mel
'96 Safari, (138k miles)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
With our MH when I'm storing it long term (over the winter) when I park it I keep the air suspension aired up and build up a platform of bricks and wood tight against the jack pad with the jacks fully RETRACTED. I then dump the air out of the suspension transferring the weight to the retracted jacks. This way I take some of the weight off the tires and suspension while keeping the jacks retracted and the cylinders protected.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
With our MH when I'm storing it long term (over the winter) when I park it I keep the air suspension aired up and build up a platform of bricks and wood tight against the jack pad with the jacks fully RETRACTED. I then dump the air out of the suspension transferring the weight to the retracted jacks. This way I take some of the weight off the tires and suspension while keeping the jacks retracted and the cylinders protected.

This is the same method we use and it is the one recommended by the folks at Camp Freightliner. It makes a lot of sense. One caution is to make sure you don't make the stack of blocks too high as the newly aired up coach may not get as high as it did when you stored the coach and it is not pleasant to try to knock the block out from under a 15 ton coach.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #14

My Spartan manual says to store with the jacks down, so that's what I do. But, if I was in a salty environment, I wouldn't.

Tags
jacks