Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Smile Don't forget your safe batteries

Many of us don't remember to change the secret safe batteries. I change mine every time I change from in/out "daylight" savings time. And remember to not leave the safe light on when you close and lock your safe---that will run the batteries dead. Then if you don't have the "master" key, good luck.
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

I changed mine last summer and put a label with the date on the outside of the safe with the date. I am not sure if I have a master key.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

Do you loose your code when you Change the batteries? My red light has come on the last few times I opened th safe....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #4

Reading this thread got me worried.. It has been about 18 months since I replaced the batteries. Now, I rarely use the safe (passports, some special numbers, etc). but decided I better be safe rather than sorry.

So, I changed the 4 AA size batteries, and dated the batteries for replacement. I have a Fluke DVM in the coach ( very nice piece of equipment ) and decided to see how bad the batteries might be after 18 months. All 4 AA batteries read approximately 15.3 volts which is a far cry from being ready for mandatory replacement. So, First Alerts recommendation of yearly replacement would appear to be VERY conservative. Maybe others use their safe more or their light more ( I don't even know how to turn the light on......). Oh well.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Reading this thread got me worried.. It has been about 18 months since I replaced the batteries. Now, I rarely use the safe (passports, some special numbers, etc). but decided I better be safe rather than sorry.

So, I changed the 4 AA size batteries, and dated the batteries for replacement. I have a Fluke DVM in the coach ( very nice piece of equipment ) and decided to see how bad the batteries might be after 18 months. All 4 AA batteries read approximately 15.3 volts which is a far cry from being ready for mandatory replacement. So, First Alerts recommendation of yearly replacement would appear to be VERY conservative. Maybe others use their safe more or their light more ( I don't even know how to turn the light on......). Oh well.

Gary

Gary, better get that Fluke checked if it is telling you AA batteries are 15.3 volts! [emoji849]
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #6

My typing is the problem,....... not the Fluke. Battery readings were 1.53 VDC

Thanks for pointing out the error.

Gary
Old 08-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Do you loose your code when you Change the batteries? My red light has come on the last few times I opened th safe....
You do not loose the code when changing batteries. When opening and the red and green light both come ON, you have only a few more opening cycles prior to the batteries failing.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
You do not loose the code when changing batteries. When opening and the red and green light both come ON, you have only a few more opening cycles prior to the batteries failing.
Thank you Sir....Batteries will be changed.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
CVO

While the battery suggestion is a good one I personally don't care for electronic locks on safes. Other than the high end locks many of the digital locks are vulnerable to failure, especially the ones from China. Failed solenoid or motor drives, failed circuit boards, failed or worn out keypads, and the vulnerability to be hacked make me prefer a mechanical lock.

The rv safes serve a purpose but real security in my eyes is my recently finished 1891 double door Mosler Screw Door Bank Safe. With laminated chrome steel burglar plate, 5" thick doors, internal time locks, and dependable Yale/Mosler friction fence locks, it is a fortress.

Unfortunately, it's size and 4000+ lb weight will require a couple mods to an Entegra...

Name:   imagesa_edited-1.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  69.0 KB
CVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

I have not even used our safe it does not seam to be securely mounted.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 AM   #11

Gary, the light switch is on the side of the battery box. It is not all that bright but it is good enough to see the small space involved.
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:40 AM   #12

Ron

Thanks for that information.I will remember that. I guess that I have missed that when I failed to read the manual........... which was a few minutes before I hid the "emergency override access key" which I have never found again...... and you have to have a bunch of stuff notorized before the company will send you a replacement.

Probably the most important thing in my safe is a portable hard drive (Western Digital Passport, 2 T) which has encrypted back-up copies of all documents, pictures, and music contained on my two desk-type Dell computers at home. When I travel, I have every file that I have at home accessible to me while on the road. Has saved my a** several times on the road. Everything is encrypted so that if I ever lost the hard drive, all my data is safe. A major part of leaving home for an extended period is backup all the house files to the Western Digital Passport before we leave town.

Gary
Old 08-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljacobs View Post
Many of us don't remember to change the secret safe batteries. I change mine every time I change from in/out "daylight" savings time. And remember to not leave the safe light on when you close and lock your safe---that will run the batteries dead. Then if you don't have the "master" key, good luck.
That's good time advice.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Changed the batterie this morning as the red and green light were coming on. Now only the green light is on, but here is the strange part, the batteries replaced last year were all reading 1.51v. However the red light is now off with the new batteries.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries