Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #1

Drivability of "stock" 2015 Anthem

It has occasionally come up in discussion here in iRV2, how well, or how not so well, our coaches drive as they come stock from the factory. There are people who genuinely have problems with their coaches and alignment and Entegra spends a bunch of money to get things right, but I think that 95% of us have no problem with "driveability" of our stock coaches at all. I want to just talk about yesterday.

We decided to escape southern California yesterday (San Diego) because there are like 4 major storms coming inland over the next week. California needs the rain so they are not complaining, but we had our fill of cool temps no sun, and rain, but the weather reports were for high winds and intense rains. We pointed the coach toward east-bound I-8 and, of course, had to climb up and over the mountains before we got to the desert of eastern California, an area which has signs posted "Warning, High wind area next 90 miles". Well, the storm landing on the coast was pushing 30-45-50 mph wind gusts all through the mountains and down the other side. I encountered some serious wind gusts in that drive. I also encountered something I have never seen before.... the wind was creating real sand dunes in the middle of the Interstate lanes. Sand dunes were piling up on the right and left lanes enough that cars were having to slow to get through the drifts. Never seen that before!! The desert plains area was worse than the mountains and yes, I had to do a lot of correcting the coach when a sudden 40-50 mph gust would hit me or steer slight right or left with sustained strong winds, but I was really impressed with how the Anthem handled those quartering winds directly broadside to the coach. I could safely maintain my 62 mph speed unless the cars around me needed to slow to handle the drifts on the road, but I could not be more pleased with the shocks, the steering, and the anti-sway characteristics of this "stock" Spartan/Entegra coach. When we parked in Yuma last night, I had to put the coach up on the jacks as the wind gusts were rocking and rolling us too badly to sleep when stopped. Just wanted to reassure potential new owners that these coaches drive the way they are supposed to drive right from the factory. I was VERY impressed with how this coach handled!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

Gary, good to hear it. I've been pretty impressed so far with our coach's handling.

Our only handling "mod" was a lube job ASAP. Excepting that, I haven't done a thing and feel this thing handles about as well as can be expected for a high cube vehicle.

So far, the weak link in crosswinds has proven to be windows.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #3

I crossed Louisiana from east to west just after new years and passed through a front that spawned several small tornadoes and high winds. I was very surprised to find the stability of my rolling box to be very manageable and lacking any significant steering surprises.

Very happy with my 2017 Aspire 44B

--
Jonny
jobobjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I agree...I guess there are some that expect the tightness of a BMW or Mercedes. I had to have both my coaches aligned (as the steering wheel was out of kilter on both), but that said, I have never felt the need to add special/different shocks or revisit the alignment places four or five times. Guess I was lucky (or maybe someday when it comes shock replacement time, I'm going to be in for a real which, so to speak)...and as far as comfort, I doubt there are many who have covered 2400 miles in three day, and I darn sure have driven in some serious crosswind conditions); I had no complaints!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:10 PM   #5

I assume your 15' Anthem has IFS? My Insignia handled 40-50mph crosswinds pretty well. I had to correct the steering when those gusts hit me broadside, but it was manageable, ever at speed.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I can't imagine any vehicle this size that would not be affected by a 50 MPH crosswind. That's just physics. But I agree that my Anthem drives great. I am continually impressed.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I doubt there are many who have covered 2400 miles in three day, and I darn sure have driven in some serious crosswind conditions); I had no complaints!
We didn't plan it, but we left Disney World in Orlando at 0900 on a Friday, and arrived in Central California on Monday at 1000. We stopped for exactly 12 hours at home in Houston to reload and rest. We drove the 1000 miles to Houston on Friday. Didn't get far Sat (400 miles), and drove the remaining 1300 Sunday/Monday.

This was all at 75 MPH, which is way faster than we typically cruise. In the Entegra, 75 MPH is simply a different number on the speedo. In our Phaeton, 75 MPH really felt very different than 65 MPH.

I was really impressed at how I felt after a long day driving, not wiped out like in our other coach.

-Matt
Old 02-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #8

I will also agree that these coaches drive wonderful... right from the get go..

I have never had a alignment done yet.. I did upgrade to konis not because I felt
I needed too though.. konis are a advanced rv shock and did it just for the mere fact of just advancing to a even better ride... the stock bilsteins were actually a great ride too...

the best part about the driving experience in a entegra is the quietness ... no matter how much we drive it,,, its always noticeable of how darn quiet our anthem is...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #9

I too just arrived in Phoenix in my '14 Anthem. Drove the Central Valley then
east through Tehachapi and I10. (I received several texts from friends at home asking if we were ok) The gusts were quite strong, but the Anthem made only small lurches when buffeted. My previous coach was a 36' Insignia and was a nightmare under the same conditions--my hands and neck were stiff and sore
after the grueling day, not to mention my mental stress....

We also ended on a very happy note of dropping the coach off at the new NIRVC
in Phoenix. Cowboy welcomed us with open arms and backed us in under cover
to unload out of the rain!
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

We decided to escape southern California yesterday (San Diego) because there are like 4 major storms coming inland over the next week. California needs the rain so they are not complaining, but we had our fill of cool temps no sun, and rain, but the weather reports were for high winds and intense rains. ..........
Gary
Gary, where in San Diego were you? We are a few miles down the road in Chula Vista. Weather so far has not been as bad as predicted. Was windy Friday when you traveled for sure and heavy rain Friday evening.
Almost brought the slides in because of the wind but it slowed down before I did. Since then very little rain and no strong winds.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #11

Friday in Miramar/San Diego, the weather forecast was for a rough night followed by an entire rough week. Weather forecasts on weather. com and local LA stations was for a series of 3 or 4 severe weather storms to move into the southern California coast. The weather at 4:00 Friday was starting to really blow up a storm. The forecasts were for mud slides, historic levels of rain, wind, etc. etc. We freaked out and hit the road.

What happened was worse than we imagined. The I-5 south bound had an entire lane wash away and gobbled up a fire truck and a semi. Multiple lane highways were down to a single lane, and people were taking 7 or 8 hours to travel 30 minutes "normal" distance. So, maybe Chula Vista was not as bad, but San Diego area was a mess and we were very happy we got out before it all started to get terrible (we went down the I-5 to get to the I-8). Now, I think that some of that weather they were predicting has headed more north toward San Francisco than San Diego, but Friday that was not the prediction.

It is beautiful, clear, and warm here in Yuma today. Yahoo !!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #12

Matt, Has your wife taken up driving yet?
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #13

Sal, not so much. For some reason, she doesn't like operating large equipment around other vehicles when traffic is busy.

Can't blame her.

I wish she cared for it more, as she's an excellent driver with fantastic S.A.

-Matt