Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Drive axle tire blowout?

I realize we've talked quite a bit about the steer tire blowout with the Good Year tires. Has anybody experienced drive or tag tire blowouts with the Good Year tires?

I'm thrilled with the new Micheline tires I put on the steer axle but now I'm looking at the other tires. They are running good with no unusual wear. If I blew one of the rear tires, there would be damage and an inconvenience, BUT have the rear tires also had issues?
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to sidetrack this thread, but make sure you have a TPMS.
"Most" tires blow for a reason, so monitoring PSI and Temp gives you a good chance of avoiding this problem. Not a guarantee...just a better chance.

Dan
Old 08-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

"Most" tires blow for a reason, so monitoring PSI and Temp gives you a good chance of avoiding this problem. Not a guarantee...just a better chance.

Dan

You still must be careful , an older friend of mine had a TPMS alert for a trailer tire , he pulled over & while inspecting the tire in question , it blew . He ended up in the ER, I forget the injury , he is fine now .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

Dan

If you use the the TPMS, make sure you watch them for leaks. I've had more than one tire dealer tell me that they love the TPMS systems because they make them money. They said that they tend to leak due to bad o-rings and the RV owner finds the leaks on weekends and holidays when the tires service is the most expensive. They make big bucks, airing up tires and removing the sensors. They also LOVE the braided air lines going from tire to tire.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
There have been a few posts on here lately of front steer tire blowouts, one totaled their Aspire. All of them had TPMS and none of them had a warning. I am not saying not to use a TPMS, but they didn't help those that just reported their blowouts. One thing they all had in common was the brand of tires.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #6

I use the TPMS for convince. Instead of walking around and checking pressures on 8 tires I can just look at the monitor.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #7

TPMS is way more valuable to protect your towed imho. You can do thousands of dollars damage to your towed before you figure out you have a flat. In spite of what you may think, you cannot tell when you have a flat on the steer of your towed. It will not show in the camera and will pull straight and not hard enough that you can feel it until it gets on a rim and into the fenders. I have read many such stories and talked to a few first hand that have experienced that, they can really give you something to think about. All JMHO
Old 08-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #8

FYI, we only had an air pressure problem once, when running a TPMS.

I have flow through valve caps and check the tire pressure every single time I set the brake. Funny thing is, I also get to visually inspect the tires and squirt the tires and brakes with my IR gun to ensure we aren't smoking something.

I don't find much inconvenience in checking air as most stops I do this while fueling. No time lost.

-Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
I use the TPMS for convince. Instead of walking around and checking pressures on 8 tires I can just look at the monitor.
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote