Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #1

Driver Side Large Slide Question

Hi there owners..

in a departure yesterday from a overnighter in my 14 anthem I experienced my drivers side large slide not coming back in..

it would start for a second to go in and then sit there and what I would call"spin"
the 2 very long bolt things that seem to be connected to a sprocket seemed they were not grabbing correctly and pulling the slide in on its own as intended..

so while the dw was pushing the slide button i literally used my back to help it along and that did work.. we were able to get home ... thank heavens..

so now I need to solve the issue and not sure what needs to be done.

seems recently there was a post on a slide issue that said there was some bolts that needed tightening some owners were talking about.. I wonder if thats my issue.. any insight would be appreciated from someone who might know..

thanks in advance..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
It sounds like missing teeth on a gear in the gear box, maybe caused by a loose slide motor.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
When mine did that it was the first gear in motor, can't get parts so bought new motor. Entegra has proprietary rights so only buy from dealer, little over $200 if I remember right
Old 07-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

We just pulled into campground (left previous about 2+ hrs ago) and large slide (2016 Anthem) extended about 2” and then stopped, making loud clicking/skipping sound. I immediately brought it back in. Thoughts?
patallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by patallee View Post
We just pulled into campground (left previous about 2+ hrs ago) and large slide (2016 Anthem) extended about 2” and then stopped, making loud clicking/skipping sound. I immediately brought it back in. Thoughts?

The internal brake on the slide motor may have failed. The internal brake is what keeps the slide in. Ours failed on the bedroom slide and the slide completely extended when I made a turn. We used 2x4s cut to fit and wedged them between the slide and the wall to keep it in and travel safely. Entegra sent us a new motor which I installed.
Also check your slide motor mounting bolts to ensure they are tight and check the cotter pins (near the motor). If these sheared then maybe slide would extend. Also, the popping noise could be from the motor turning, but without cotter pins, the shaft would not turn. Others may have ideas also. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
As Alec said, but in addition check the sheer pin that connects the shaft to the motor. I carry a spare sheer pin and cotter key taped to my bedroom slide motor. They can fail at anytime without warning.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/slid...ml#post2222920
Old 07-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
As Alec said, but in addition check the sheer pin that connects the shaft to the motor. I carry a spare sheer pin and cotter key taped to my bedroom slide motor. They can fail at anytime without warning.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/slid...ml#post2222920

Chuck, I meant to say “ shear pin” and not “cotter pin”...must be the the over 22 days of 100+ heat here in the CA Central Valley [emoji28].
Old 07-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
Chuck, I meant to say “ shear pin” and not “cotter pin”...must be the the over 22 days of 100+ heat here in the CA Central Valley [emoji28].
I can understand that.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After horrendous slide problems with a Winnebago Tour, we bought our Entegra coach. No coach is perfect but I really wanted to see slide issues in my past.

If a boat is a hole in the water to put your money in, an RV must be a hole in the asphalt for the same reason.

Crossing my fingers regarding slides, but I do keep a wary eye on thme just the same.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:03 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom78418 View Post
After horrendous slide problems with a Winnebago Tour, we bought our Entegra coach. No coach is perfect but I really wanted to see slide issues in my past.

If a boat is a hole in the water to put your money in, an RV must be a hole in the asphalt for the same reason.

Crossing my fingers regarding slides, but I do keep a wary eye on thme just the same.
Tom, if it will make you feel better, I have had the same slide setup since 2003 and never a problem. Keeping the slide motors tight is the key factor. There is a lot of torque on those motors. The time spent removing and blue lock tighting the bolts is well worth it.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #11

Some future possible help on this subject...
Slide motor replacement part #0211550
Clovis pin # 0213242
Cotter pin # 0186589

Current Price for slide motor I found was $330.00 @ beaver coach sales Oregon..
My local rv repair was quoting me $1,050 ... thanks to this forum I sniffed them out..
Knowledge is power.. power is knowledge...
Now I am not even sure I need the motor but just these pins... the story will continue...
Thanks all...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Some future possible help on this subject...
Slide motor replacement part #0211550
Clovis pin # 0213242
Cotter pin # 0186589

Current Price for slide motor I found was $330.00 @ beaver coach sales Oregon..
My local rv repair was quoting me $1,050 ... thanks to this forum I sniffed them out..
Knowledge is power.. power is knowledge...
Now I am not even sure I need the motor but just these pins... the story will continue...
Thanks all...
The pins can be purchased at Ace Hardware.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hopefully you let Entegra now about the price gouging attempted by the dealer. Maybe at some point the policy regarding post warranty sale of parts to the customer will change but doubtful unless Entegra knows how adversely their customers are impacted by the current policy.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Chuck, thanks for the advice. About evert 1 to 2 months I go around the coach with a pocket full of tools and a tube of Loctite looking for loose nuts and bolts. I’ll add the slide motors to the list. Vanity slide, rear motor may be a challenge, It obviously worth the effort.

Thanks

Tags
driver, slide