Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #1

Driver's side window

This is window #2 on our coach. #1 didn't make it off the dealer's lot.

On my epic return from CA in early Dec., the side window began making a very loud noise I thought was wind noise.

I hadn't had a chance to diagnose it until yesterday.

One clue was that when I pressed outward on the bottom of the top pane of glass, the noise disappeared. I always checked while driving.

Yesterday I checked while parked and noticed the window could be easily separated from the frame by simply pressing outward a small amount. Notice the key (and daylight) crudely illustrating the void between the frame and glass.

Of course Entegra is all over this, as they've been on all other issues.

I post this to those trying to diagnose noise issues.

-Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	149670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	149671  

2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

I've had two window issues. The first was the half bath window delaminated and the second was one of the dinette windows shattered for no apparent reason. Entegra CS sent me a new bathroom window and a replacement pane for the dinette. It took three weeks to ship each one plus a few days for delivery. They came direct from the supplier. I had a local RV shop do the replacements. I hope this is not an ongoing problem.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #3

Entegra replaced every single one of my active windows (windows that open). They all delaminated before the end of the warranty. I kept track and the last one had not come apart yet so I gave it a little pop with my finger and it delaminated also. The replacements have been fine.

Mark (Cruzer) published a technique on here somewhere for repairing delaminated windows. Obviously for folks who are out of warranty!

I've been told the new windows are better, the 2014 coaches had tons of problems with them.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If anyone has Cruzers info please post or a link to it - thanks. Unlucky with a search for it I could use this information now...

Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
If anyone has Cruzers info please post or a link to it - thanks. Unlucky with a search for it I could use this information now...

Thanks...

Here you go. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/hehr...ml#post3009952
And
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/hehr...-285534-2.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Chuck,
It looks like the links are the same...

Aren't you in SW FL? It is a bit windy today in the Ft Myers area, with predictions of a possibly interesting night...

2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
Thanks Chuck,
It looks like the links are the same...

Aren't you in SW FL? It is a bit windy today in the Ft Myers area, with predictions of a possibly interesting night...
The links are 2 post apart. Someone asked a question and Mark went into great detail on the second post....same thread, two different posts.

I have been waiting all winter for a cool enough day to detail the new truck. The humidity is still high, but the breeze feels good in the garage. It's still 81 with 76 % humidity, but I need to sweat off the Christmas weight Come on cold front!!!!
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

While Cruzer's DIY repair of a insulated window is fascinating, it's not the problem we are facing.

The outer and inner panes are still properly attached to one another. No delamination, yet.

What actually occurred in our case is that where the outer (larger) pane of glass is glued to the frame, it has come free.

The location of this separation is within my preschool art oval.

I'm still deciding if I can simply apply some 3M Super Weatherstripping Adhesive, or if I need to worry about the rest coming loose. We have a new window on the way and rest assured I will apply some 3M to the circumference of the new window.

-Matt
Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #9

Good Morning all,

We have received our new side window assembly.

I am replacing our driver's side window today and need to learn about how they seal the window under the lip, to the outside of the coach.

I haven't removed the old one yet so I can't tell how this is done.

Is it a rubber seal or the pliable "rope" similar to plumbers putty?

Thanks,

-Matt
Old 02-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #10

I've watched my toll window assembly being replaced at NIRVC. First you need to know it takes a minimum of two men to install the window. It should have arrived with a rubber gasket to be installed on the outside frame, and a "trim ring" which is the part used on the inside to hold the window in place with screws through it and into the main frame around the window unit. After the trim ring is fully engaged all around, a tech uses silicon caulking to seal around the exterior of the unit. Use blue tape to control where the silicone will remain and remove the tape soon after application to leave a smooth and straight edge on the caulking. Make SURE you don't put too much caulking at the lowest point under the exterior frame because that can block the weep holes that allow the water to drain from the slide track
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #11

Ed, thanks.

You're absolutely certain there was a rubber seal on the outside of the window opening???

The reason I'm trying to verify this is because CS says no seal.

There is a small rubber seal inside, under the clamp ring to control squeaking.

I'm skeptical so I want to be certain before I call them back.

The window has already been replaced once, so I don't feel that is a reliable source of how it should be done.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Ed, thanks.
You're absolutely certain there was a rubber seal on the outside of the window opening???
The window has already been replaced once, so I don't feel that is a reliable source of how it should be done.
Matt D
I used butyl tape behind the outer flange: Butyl Tape 1/8" x 1"W x 30'L - RV Parts Nation

See also: RV Window Installation Guide
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Ed, thanks.

Hi Matt:
My 16 Aspire came with what I assume is the same window as your 17, but your MAY be from a "different" supplier. Mine was from LCI (Lippert) and my problem was not delamination, but rather was that the slide track for the toll portion of the window would not drain at the bottom most area at the forward most point of the window frame.
Included in the crate with the window was a coil of grey rubber "gasket" material with a red plastic peel off tape covering the pressure sensitive adhesive on the "back" side of the rubber. I am almost 100% positive that the tech applied this ~1/4" wide strip of rubber on the inside edge of the outer frame-not on the trim ring which is placed on the inside of the coach. There may have also been a thin strip of gasket already applied by the supplier on the trim ring, but I not sure about that, I just remember the rubber because I kept the unused length of it they did not need.

Even with this rubber strip pressing against the outer fiberglass skin of the exterior wall, they also put a bead of silicon around most of the perimeter of the window(not under the weep holes area) AFTER the window was secured in place by screws through the trim ring going into the window frame. I don't know if the silicon is required by EC, but it seems logical to me that silicone, especially across the top and down the front edge of the frame, can't hurt. And, I'm confident that the factory adds it when they build the coaches.

I can send you some pictures via a reply email to edgray1@gmail.com if you think they may be helpful.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I've watched my toll window assembly being replaced at NIRVC. First you need to know it takes a minimum of two men to install the window. It should have arrived with a rubber gasket to be installed on the outside frame, and a "trim ring" which is the part used on the inside to hold the window in place with screws through it and into the main frame around the window unit. After the trim ring is fully engaged all around, a tech uses silicon caulking to seal around the exterior of the unit. Use blue tape to control where the silicone will remain and remove the tape soon after application to leave a smooth and straight edge on the caulking. Make SURE you don't put too much caulking at the lowest point under the exterior frame because that can block the weep holes that allow the water to drain from the slide track
Henry 10.3 oz. 224 Window and Door Sealant-HE224202 - The Home Depot
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, window