Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dry camping - Filling water tank - Caution

I am dry camping at NAS Key West and used a hose to fill up the fresh water tank. The water pump was on so my wife could use the sink. I switched the valve in the water/waste compartment and filled the tank using a low flow hose. ( Be advised if you forget to mind the fill the tank has an overflow drain near the right dually). I finished the job and forgot to return the fill valve to city use. A short time later my wife complained the toilet would not flush and the sink would not work. I checked the pump....on. I opened the compartment near the pump.....it was running like crazy but "gurgling". I tried opening various faucets....no luck. I turned the pump off and went away a few hours and suddenly it dawned on me about the fill valve. I guess during the fill I got an air bubble in the suction line and lost prime. My previous RV didn't matter which way the fill valve was. Lesson learned.

I'm guessing Anthems and Cornerstones would be the same.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Not uncommon. On my Beaver, if I leave the fill valve open, the water pump runs continuously and little or no flow gets to the fixtures inside. As soon as I close the fill valve all is well.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
On our Dutch Star, if pump was on while fill valve was open, it ran continuously with no output. I think the Aspire will do the same. BTW, I see that you are at NASKW. I assume you are retired. What branch? We spent two weeks there some years ago over New Years. THAT is quite a spectacle.
Marcosdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's the same on Tiffins and, given the standardized weay that most water pumps are hooked up, I would imagine you'll see that on any brand. The water pumps works fine while filling because there is city water pressure in the system while filling but as soon as you shut off the spigot the pressure goes away and the water pump just recirculates and cavitates unless you return the fill valve to the run position.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
sorry to bring back an old thread, but what is the next step if the water pump still only bubbles and spits air after the fill valve is back in regular position. Our pump was working OK, I had not recently filled the fresh water tank, and now it just gurgles. I just checked the valve and it is in the run position.
mfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #6

Mike, did you check to be sure you have water in the holding tank? When you leave the pump on when connected to city water, the pump will pull all the water from the holding tank first.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Gene. The system monitor indicates the tank is full.
mfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Gurgling an no water

mfrazier

I discovered on my Aspire that I had that problem occassionally and found it was operator error. My normal routine when departing on a trip is I drain the freshwater tank then refill it while I pack. I had twiddled with the valves on the PEX lines that drain the tank and left one open that is for sucking in water system antifreeze or for sucking water in from an external tank. Check those white plastic valves. They are not well labeled. When the paddles are 90 deg to the line they are shutoff, when aligned with the pipe they are open. After I fixed my valves I had the pump off then opened a sink faucet and turned on the pump to bleed the air from the pipe and it worked fine.

I also got the gurgling-never ending pump once when the tank indicated 30% when in fact the water level was below the pickup level. Especially if you are on a slope, like my driveway, the water level will seem okay but in fact the pump can't pump it.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
There is also (IMO) a design flaw (at least on the Aspire) in that the "low point" drain and pick up in the tank are mounted on the side rather than on the bottom. Therefore, although the tank may indicate modest amounts of water, it is unusable, and the tank can never be fully drained.
Marcosdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
mfrazier

I discovered on my Aspire that I had that problem occassionally and found it was operator error. My normal routine when departing on a trip is I drain the freshwater tank then refill it while I pack. I had twiddled with the valves on the PEX lines that drain the tank and left one open that is for sucking in water system antifreeze or for sucking water in from an external tank. Check those white plastic valves. They are not well labeled. When the paddles are 90 deg to the line they are shutoff, when aligned with the pipe they are open. After I fixed my valves I had the pump off then opened a sink faucet and turned on the pump to bleed the air from the pipe and it worked fine.

I also got the gurgling-never ending pump once when the tank indicated 30% when in fact the water level was below the pickup level. Especially if you are on a slope, like my driveway, the water level will seem okay but in fact the pump can't pump it.
Might I suggest a Brother P-Touch for labeling things. I have one for our house and attic stored things in the S+B and believe you, me, that thing is worth its weight in backaches from having to dig through things and boxes. Plus it's a great time saver. Good luck. Plus I'm learning many things from you Entegra owners so when the time comes for me to get mine, hopefully the learining curve won't be so steep.

Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, tank, water