Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dry grease fittings....Hello Speedco

I just lubed the U-joints and steering arms as I do before any long trip. I was surprised that my MH with only 5,600 miles, that the grease fitting were as dry as a bone.

If you have a newer coach that has not been serviced yet, it is worth stopping at Speedco or your local service shop and get a grease job. I will be stopping at a Speedco on the trip and getting a complete lube job. I lost a set of U joints in of all places the Upper Peninsula and I am now a firm believer, grease is my friend. Glad I didn't wait the 15,000 miles before checking.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #2

Don't know about the Entegra's but before the Tiffins leave the factory they are sent through a maintenance cycle where wheel alignment and ride height is checked, the chassis is lubed and all fluid levels are rechecked. Other general maintenance items rechecked as well.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Chuck, I had the opposite experience. When I asked for a lube at Spartan, they did the work, but told me that it didn't need it, ex for the drive shaft - after about the same distance that you`ve gone. I told them to do the work anyways just to be safe. The coach is at the shop now, and I`ve asked for another lube at about 10K miles.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
My coach was at Spartan for the 44 point inspection, alignment, steering modifications plus a few other items and still dry grease fittings. Some chassis may leave Spartan ready to go, mine was not ready for our long trip. Like many other items on my MH, 1 in a 1,000. Just thought I would pass along what I found. I almost didn't check the front end because of the low millage, but glad I did after the U joints and tag axle took so much grease.

As you said Robert, much better to be safe than sorry. $34.95 at Speedco is a lot better than waiting for U joints to be delivered. Been there, done that I now grease my U joints every 5,000 miles.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck, I had the same experience as you with dry grease fittings early on with only about 5K miles, and that was shortly after a visit to Spartan and the 44 point inspection. I was surprised - guess that's not one of the 44 points.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
IF you check the Spicer website (guys that make the U joints) they say to lube them every 5,000 miles. There are some pretty bad pics on the net of lost joints and the damage that can result, including broken transmission cases $$$$.

LUBRICATION SPECIFICATIONS UNIVERSAL JOINTS
www2.dana.com/pdf/J3299-2-DSSP.PDF
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

Dry grease fittings....Hello Speedco

Has EC commented on the issue re: 44 points? Perhaps Spartan is the place the action didn't happen?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
My MH was returned to Spartan for some serious air issues at delivery along with unacceptable steering. My MH was at Spartan for 3 weeks where they said they also did the 44 point inspection. A greased chassis is a Spartan issue, nothing to do with Entegra. Just glad I checked before leaving on the trip.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Twomed, you are 100% correct. My previous MH was oil and lube at 10,000 miles and I never exceeded that. The mechanic that changed my U joint showed me how dry they were and said they are to be greased every 5,000 miles. I am religious about that now and even a little more often. Good point, thanks for bringing that up for others.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
A greased chassis is a Spartan issue, nothing to do with Entegra. Just glad I checked before leaving on the trip.

I agree. Somehow I think EC should at least give a look to tighten up the whole process; feedback to the chassis provider. Just a thought.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
It is just a simple grease job. Just trying to let others with newer MH know that factory grease (Spartan) may not be 100% of what it should be. It's worth checking now instead of waiting for the first oil change.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
It is just a simple grease job. Just trying to let others with newer MH know that factory grease (Spartan) may not be 100% of what it should be. It's worth checking now instead of waiting for the first oil change.

I think EC should check and not risk issues for the uninformed owner. IMHO
Old 05-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Now I`m really glad I asked for lube while my coach is in the shop (dealer). I had approx 5000 mi since the last lube.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Wow - important stuff here - thanks!

Reminds me that my previous coach had a lube diagram that I printed copies of and could hand a copy to the tech at a shop or Speedco to show them where all the places to be lubed were. Is there such a thing for our Entegras?
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote

« 2016 models | Steps »