RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #1

Dual Satellite option/ results?

My better half and I just put an order in for a 2019 Cornerstone 45Y. I spoke with Brittany up in Middlebury and received conflicting info between her and the sales guy in Des Moines. I would like to have the factory install BOTH the in-motion Wineguard T4 AND the Wineguard Slim-line automatic (stationary) satellite systems, so I can have the best of both worlds...access while motoring down the road and a full-sized, Hi-Def dish when parked at the CG. Have any of you purchased both from the factory? How do you switch between systems? Does the system(s) work when both installed?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Gregg

GreggBuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #2

There was a post on this a while back saying it can be done but also said for some reason Entegra wonít do both options from the factory itís One or the other .. donít know why.. could of changed but seems thatís there policy
I do know it can be done. You could always do I after the fact..

lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The question in my mind is whether you would have to do a new "Guided Setup" each time you switch from the SD dome to the HD dish antenna. I know that years ago this was necessary when switching from one type of antenna to the other. It was a tedious and time-consuming procedure that I would not want to have to do on a constant basis.

Someone in another post said that this is not necessary now but I am still unclear about what, if anything, has to be done to set up the receiver each time you switch from one dish type to another.

Another consideration is that there have been many unconfirmed reports on the forum stating that all SD signals will be discontinued in a year or two, as the satellite is failing and there is not enough demand for SD to justify a replacement satellite. If that were to happen, then all the in-motion satellites would become large paperweights.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The question in my mind is whether you would have to do a new "Guided Setup" each time you switch from the SD dome to the HD dish antenna. I know that years ago this was necessary when switching from one type of antenna to the other. It was a tedious and time-consuming procedure that I would not want to have to do on a constant basis.

Someone in another post said that this is not necessary now but I am still unclear about what, if anything, has to be done to set up the receiver each time you switch from one dish type to another.

Another consideration is that there have been many unconfirmed reports on the forum stating that all SD signals will be discontinued in a year or two, as the satellite is failing and there is not enough demand for SD to justify a replacement satellite. If that were to happen, then all the in-motion satellites would become large paperweights.

We switch between our Direct TV Traveler dish and a dish permanently mounted on a pole next to our covered pole barn all the time. Our receiver stores both sets of settings and recognizes the sat dish. So only the initial guided setup is necessary. At least thatís our experience with Direct TV.
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
We switch between our Direct TV Traveler dish and a dish permanently mounted on a pole next to our covered pole barn all the time. Our receiver stores both sets of settings and recognizes the sat dish. So only the initial guided setup is necessary. At least thatís our experience with Direct TV.
Is your pole barn dish an SD or HD dish?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #6

Im doing this exact install on my new insignia that im picking up this coming week. Lazy days is adding the Wineguard T4 now. I was told it involves a coaxial switch. I called wineguard they sent me a digram showing the switch. Will update later this week to let u know how it works. Im with directv also running H24 receivers
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Is your pole barn dish an SD or HD dish?

It is an HD residential dish.
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

FYI, the sunset date on DirecTV SD broadcasting is July of 2019.

This article doesnít mention a specific date, but does a good job chronicling the reasons.

Goodbye SD: DIRECTV is pulling the plug for SD service

IMHO, any investment in SD equipment should be with Dish in mind.

I had previously installed an In-Motion, in addition to our Travíler. Once I learned of the end to SD broadcasting from DirecTV, I removed the in-motion antenna.

Installation is quite simple because Entegra prewired the coach for either antenna (at least in 2017 they did.) Fiahing coax through the rafters isnít difficult. This was necessary to locate the in-motion where it wouldnít be masked by nearby objects. I located it behind he middle A/C unit.

In fact, the only hard part was locating a high quality coax switch that would not degrade the signal.

It will be necessary to change the antenna Setup within the receiver as you are changing the antenna type. That takes about 5 minutes. I made up a card for the proper settings for each antenna, so there was no guessing.

At this late date, Iím quite disappointed Winegard continues to sell SD equipment for DirecTV applications with apparently no mention of their very short usable lifespan.

WARNING: Off Topic Alert!

IMHO, the future of broadcasting is over streaming media. Iíd suggest investing the capital into building a robust means of accessing the internet, and distributing it throughout the coach.

Keep the Travíler in cases where the internet isnít usable, like in the high mountains or in the middle of nowhere.

-Matt
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Along with what Matt said, we took our first trip last summer....streaming, but we do have a Traveler as well. I have to say I am impressed with the new technology. With the AT&T Mobley $22.01 a month, a Smart TV or Amazon Fire stick I was able to access my home Dish Anywhere subscription, even my recorded shows each week, and didn't even need a satellite.

After our home power was lost due to Hurricane Irma, I was still able to stream the local new channel direct from their website commercial free, 24/7 and kept up live with the damage in my area. All without a satellite system.....pretty impressive. Not to mention all the free movies on Amazon Prime.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
WARNING: Off Topic Alert!

IMHO, the future of broadcasting is over streaming media. Iíd suggest investing the capital into building a robust means of accessing the internet, and distributing it throughout the coach.

Keep the Travíler in cases where the internet isnít usable, like in the high mountains or in the middle of nowhere.

-Matt
With additional apologies to the OP - you're right, Matt, and everyone on here should plan for this eventuality.

Things have come full circle for some of us. I was an early adopter of Directv (1994), dropped the service a few years ago in favor of OTA and streaming and am now back with Directv, but using Directv Now, their streaming service. At $35 per month (supposedly forever for early adopters), and including HBO, it's much less expensive than Directv over a dish.

The service still isn't as good as satellite, but there are constant improvements and, with the addition of a cloud-based DVR in the next couple of months, Directv Now will put me back in the "more channels than anyone could possible watch" category. I have a Traveler dish on the coach and use Directv service, but I can see in not too many years that dish sitting abandoned like the one on my house.

Like Chuck, I use Mobley for an "almost always" on connection, but the speeds are too slow for consistently good streaming (I have a gigabit connection at home). The first test sats for the low earth orbit network that is supposed to offer high speed sat internet were just put in orbit. That network, and 5G as it is rolled out, will make streaming while travelling more reliable and much more widespread.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I just received this on my phone yesterday https://nypost.com/2018/02/21/dish-n...k-subscribers/

Sat subscriptions are dropping due to streaming. As streaming improves will there be much of a need for Sat systems in a MH?
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I just received this on my phone yesterday https://nypost.com/2018/02/21/dish-n...k-subscribers/

Sat subscriptions are dropping due to streaming. As streaming improves will there be much of a need for Sat systems in a MH?
Chuck,

There will still be sat dishes but theyíll be for acquiring a broadband signal for internet and streaming. Itís not too early to predict the model year that the Winegard Traveler (DirecTV or Dish) is no longer a desirable option. 2024 is my guess.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Chuck,

There will still be sat dishes but they’ll be for acquiring a broadband signal for internet and streaming. It’s not too early to predict the model year that the Winegard Traveler (DirecTV or Dish) is no longer a desirable option. 2024 is my guess.
Thinking about your post, Audio Visual and Satellites have probably become obsolete faster than any other systems in MH's. First it was the CRT TV of the early 2000 that didn't have digital tuners and could no longer receive stations without help. Then it was the Kingdome Sat antenna that could no longer receive the new Satellite orbits.

Now we have the new wi-fi/hotspot antennas being installed. I wonder if they will soon take the place of Sat dishes? Winegard has already had a major change in just the first year on the market. Soon SD Sats. will be history, I wonder what change we will see next? It will be interesting to watch and keep up with.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 02-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #14

agreed.... and I still have 'phone' jacks in my house.... weird!

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite