Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Electric Basement Locks

Any suggestions for getting access into a locked basement door when the lock is frozen and the key won't unlock the lock. This is the second one that has failed. Where can you buy a replacement lock that is of better quality and durability. The first failed lock was replaced at Entegra and they just cut the old one out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #2

Tim

You don't say which door is locked, but if it any of the main basement doors, then open the other (opposite) side comparable door, take all the stuff off the slide, slide yourself, or have your wife slide you to the other side with a screwdriver of an appropriate wrench or nut driver, and take the lock apart from the inside.

Another driver (new owner) then lashed the bad door over to the good door or some support brace for the frame to keep the door from coming open.

There may be a more elegant solution, but that is the one that he used.

Edit: I told you a long time ago that if you aren't already a gear head comfortable with tools and getting dirty, you will soon become one with any (sadly) new coach.....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Gear head I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Tim

You don't say which door is locked, but if it any of the main basement doors, then open the other (opposite) side comparable door, take all the stuff off the slide, slide yourself, or have your wife slide you to the other side with a screwdriver of an appropriate wrench or nut driver, and take the lock apart from the inside.

Another driver (new owner) then lashed the bad door over to the good door or some support brace for the frame to keep the door from coming open.

There may be a more elegant solution, but that is the one that he used.

Edit: I told you a long time ago that if you aren't already a gear head comfortable with tools and getting dirty, you will soon become one with any (sadly) new coach.....

Gary
Just didn't want to go down that road until I had a replacement lock set and I think based on this experience maybe a few extra. It is the door next to the refrigerator door so I can have access from the drivers side.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Electric Basement Locks

In ‘14s and ‘18s the key will not unlock basement doors that have been locked electrically. ‘20s may be different.

I had a problem with the wet bay door latch failing on my ‘18. You can’t get at that latch from the inside so it had to be drilled and manipulated. A few others have had issues from loose bolts, seems most were accessible from the inside so didn’t require drilling.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
This issue should be addressed. Any doors that are not accessible from the basement of the coach should have a lock release cable that could be pulled from an accessible place to open that door.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:49 PM   #6

Can you open door ahead of it an remove hinge bolts of stuck door?
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
In ‘14s and ‘18s the key will not unlock basement doors that have been locked electrically. ‘20s may be different.

I had a problem with the wet bay door latch failing on my ‘18. You can’t get at that latch from the inside so it had to be drilled and manipulated. A few others have had issues from loose bolts, seems most were accessible from the inside so didn’t require drilling.
Strange, if my 2014 basement doors are locked with the electric locks I can still unlock/lock them with the key.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Not so on my 2013.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Strange, if my 2014 basement doors are locked with the electric locks I can still unlock/lock them with the key.

Mine had solenoids with pistons independent of the latch key lock. It was built late May ‘13, maybe they changed later?

I am likely mistaken about my ‘18, I think the electric and key lock mechanism are the same.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
key

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
Mine had solenoids with pistons independent of the latch key lock. It was built late May ‘13, maybe they changed later?

I am likely mistaken about my ‘18, I think the electric and key lock mechanism are the same.
The key will not override the electric lock when it is locked (jammed). The key will unlock all of the other doors but this one is jammed in the locked position and the key will not turn to the unlock position. I will tear it apart but first I want another lock on hand just in case I can't repair the current lock. I hope this make sense. I also hope to have some pictures of the problem and the fix.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
The key will not override the electric lock when it is locked (jammed). The key will unlock all of the other doors but this one is jammed in the locked position and the key will not turn to the unlock position. I will tear it apart but first I want another lock on hand just in case I can't repair the current lock. I hope this make sense. I also hope to have some pictures of the problem and the fix.
I took the lock apart and lubed the electric motor plunger - reassembled every thing and it works both with the key and the electric button on the FOB. I took a lot of pictures with my phone, but I don't know how to attach them.

Tags
electric