Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 05:44 AM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to this View Post
Just so you know, eBikes don't all work the same way. On our RV our folding eBikes can go about 20 mph just by twisting the throttle. ...
And with the different types of eBikes come different sets of rules, especially when you want to take them on the various state and national trails. At least around here, the pedal assist bikes like our Terns are permitted on all bike trails and paths. The models with a twist throttle are classified similar to mopeds by some jurisdictions and have limitations in which bike paths/trails they can use.

About the exercise factor...

There was an interesting study released in the past few weeks which showed that riders of pedal assist bikes actually got more exercise benefit than riders of traditional bikes. The main reason they pointed out was that the pedal assist bikes were being used more overall since riders could get help with hills and long trips.

We had our bikes in Virginia last week and used them as our transport to get around town. We got quite a work out on them, that's for sure. But, with the pedal assist the hills didn't kill my knees and the long ride into town was quite tolerable at 19 mph.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #324

Entegra Owners Club
Richard, I hear what you are saying between Class II and Class III eBikes. I have hiked a lot of trails in our 16 years of traveling. I have yet to see any of the trails with bike police on them. I can't say it doesn't happen and I hope they bust those that ride like idiots. However I can't see them stopping senior citizen to see if they have twist throttles or not. In the town of Ft Myers Beach they stopped ALL eBikes on sidewalks and the beaches, not because of twist throttles, it was the idiots that were riding them.

I have COPD so went with all the assist I could get. If I get a ticket, that's OK, I'll be gone in a few days.

I saw the study on the more use with ebikes. I tried to find the chart to post if, but naturally when you want it, you can't find it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Richard, I hear what you are saying between Class II and Class III eBikes. I have hiked a lot of trails in our 16 years of traveling. I have yet to see any of the trails with bike police on them. I can't say it doesn't happen and I hope they bust those that ride like idiots. However I can't see them stopping senior citizen to see if they have twist throttles or not. In the town of Ft Myers Beach they stopped ALL eBikes on sidewalks and the beaches, not because of twist throttles, it was the idiots that were riding them.

I have COPD so went with all the assist I could get. If I get a ticket, that's OK, I'll be gone in a few days.

I saw the study on the more use with ebikes. I tried to find the chart to post if, but naturally when you want it, you can't find it.

I completely agree. As long as the rider is actually doing some pedaling, the cop would have to stop every eBike or have the system of each one memorized (and with new ones coming out nearly every day, I doubt that) to know if you are violating the law or not. Then, being a senor citizen, if you just pleaded your case of needing the assistance, I can't imagine getting a ticket unless you were running 20 mph near people and not pedaling at all.
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:02 AM   #326

Quote:

You haven't ridden on some of the trails around Wisconsin then, at least not the ones that require a trail pass. They regularly have rangers on the trails stopping and checking for passes, and it would be pretty easy to spot an eBike which is throttle driven riding past (they'd be the ones climbing the hill without pedaling.)

Can't see a problem if they are kept to the roads or to bike lanes on the roads, but when used in mixed recreational trails serving cyclists, skaters, and pedestrians I can see issues, especially for those that provide assist at speeds higher than 20 mph.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #327

Is this the report you were looking for?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...9019821930017X

Steve
Old 08-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #328

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
You haven't ridden on some of the trails around Wisconsin then, at least not the ones that require a trail pass. They regularly have rangers on the trails stopping and checking for passes, and it would be pretty easy to spot an eBike which is throttle driven riding past (they'd be the ones climbing the hill without pedaling.)

Can't see a problem if they are kept to the roads or to bike lanes on the roads, but when used in mixed recreational trails serving cyclists, skaters, and pedestrians I can see issues, especially for those that provide assist at speeds higher than 20 mph.
If they have trail passes I probably wouldn't be riding there anyhow, might be too crowed. I also have a handicap plaque, whether that gives me an excepted trail pass, I don't know. They could be in violation of the American Disability Act (ADA) if denying handicap assisted access. Just a thought. If not, here is the punishment on Ft Meyrs Beach if you are caught.

If you're caught riding an e-bike on one of those surfaces, a first offense will get you a warning, and you could be fined up to $50 for any additional offenses.

Not one of those things I am going to worry about if I am leaving in 3 days and not riding like our beach nut cases that ruined it for everyone else. Thanks to the inconsiderate tourist, I can't ride my bike on my own beach.
I will not be one of those when I visit someone else home area. If I can't ride there I have 47 other states to visit

The lake trails around the MI shoreline were beautiful. I saw no signs that permits were required. It was that area that gave me the idea of an ebike when I saw other enjoying them.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #329

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
Is this the report you were looking for?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...9019821930017X

Steve
Good article, but the one I saw was a blue bar chart showing more use with ebike over a regular bike therefore more peddling. It was a nice "at a glance chart".

It was probably a chart made my an ebike company anyhow.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #330

Quote:
If they have trail passes I probably wouldn't be riding there anyhow, might be too crowed. ...
I can't speak for other areas, but we have a pretty extensive network of bike trails running down former rail right-of-ways. The $25 annual pass helps pay for the upkeep and maintenance of the trails, so I don't mind paying it. The trails can be busy at peak times, but generally speaking they are never annoyingly crowded. During the week they are virtually empty.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #331

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I can't speak for other areas, but we have a pretty extensive network of bike trails running down former rail right-of-ways. The $25 annual pass helps pay for the upkeep and maintenance of the trails, so I don't mind paying it. The trails can be busy at peak times, but generally speaking they are never annoyingly crowded. During the week they are virtually empty.
Good then I can go on them without any problem. You are fortunate to have so many nice riding trails. I wouldn't have any problem with an annual fee either is we had anything like that where I lived.
Do they have day passes for travelers like us? Are they a hassle to get?
Old 08-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #332

Quote:
Good then I can go on them without any problem. You are fortunate to have so many nice riding trails. I wouldn't have any problem with an annual fee either is we had anything like that where I lived.
Do they have day passes for travelers like us? Are they a hassle to get?
Day passes and season passes, and they can be purchased in advance or on the trail.

We are very fortunate in Wisconsin to have many great trails. This one passes within a mile of my house, but there are many more.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/glacialdrumlin/

To keep on topic, I am seeing many more eBikes on the trails. Largely used by older cyclists, it's clear that these things are opening up lots more options to people who would have hung up their cycling shoes otherwise.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #333
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We're in the group with a lot of you. We've ridden more in the 4 years since we got our e-bikes than in decades with our non electric-assisted bikes. I'd almost go as far as to say, I haven't ridden as much since I was a kid....before I got my driver's license.

Pedaling my e-bike is certainly easier on the knees, to my observation anyway, since with the assist I'm not pumping as hard on the pedals.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We're in the group with a lot of you. We've ridden more in the 4 years since we got our e-bikes than in decades with our non electric-assisted bikes. I'd almost go as far as to say, I haven't ridden as much since I was a kid....before I got my driver's license.

Pedaling my e-bike is certainly easier on the knees, to my observation anyway, since with the assist I'm not pumping as hard on the pedals.

Lori-
Lori, we're right there with you. Though we lived off campus during our college days, so I probably rode my bike more then than I do now. Still more decades than I want to think about.

Now our ebikes have given us that confidence to try longer rides again. I feel almost like I remember I did when I was given permission to ride outside the neighborhood as a kid.

Steve
Old 08-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #335

Entegra Owners Club
Richard, those trails are awesome and what Ebiking is all about. After all the comparison shopping I did, it's almost hard to find one without a throttle on the newer bikes. I wonder how they will enforce the current law on all the newer ebikes. Or they will do as Ft Myers Beach did and just close it to ebikes.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #336

Quote:
Richard, those trails are awesome and what Ebiking is all about. After all the comparison shopping I did, it's almost hard to find one without a throttle on the newer bikes. I wonder how they will enforce the current law on all the newer ebikes. Or they will do as Ft Myers Beach did and just close it to ebikes.

Not sure where you were comparison shopping, but in all the actual bricks-and-mortar stores I've been too most of the eBikes are pedal assist. At least in Wisconsin. Online I've seen both in equal numbers.

As far as I know, the Bosch mid-drive system doesn't even offer a throttle option. Maybe that's why I see more without throttles - I was focused on Bosch's system when I searched.

Tags
electric