Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Engine Bay Power Lid

Sitting here with our Engine Back cover half open as it failed and the passenger side strut just fell off and bracket is totally bent. "They" sent us the new connectors a month ago and had no record of it nor that we had signed off on the recall sheet and sent it back! 3 days ago they said the reason for the recall was the cause of this exact problem. We explained it was performed and they should have a record of it. Today we got an E-mail that they have contacted the bracket manufacturer to see if they would cover it. We sent a pic last week of the failed piston/strut and bent bracket. So here we sit! Geez
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #2

Sorry to hear that Ralph. I had the same thing happen just before I lost the engine mounted air compressor, greatly complicating the troubleshooting on the side of I-10.

If I hear the drive motors bog down, I stop trying. If one is not working, the other will merely mangle the mechanism.

Is there a question we can help you with?

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Engine Hatch Actuator Failure

Ralph,

I experienced the same failure.

The good news is you can easily remove the bent arm and the engine hatch will temporarily operate on one actuator.

My actuator failure was due to the top cap broken during assembly and water entered the actuator. This was not related to the recall.
Vendor had new parts to me in less than a week.

Good luck

2017 Cornerstone 45B
texan9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #4

Times 4! My RH actuator was never bolted up and the arm was also MANGLED! The nuts were loosely screwed on but never BOLTED UP and the arm was just hanging there unbolted and loose...
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks to you all....easy fix if I can get the parts. Trying not to stir up Joyce and will give it another week for the parts. Stay safe!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Any suggestions for things to check to help prevent a failure for us that haven't had a problem yet?
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I noticed a slow lift and "very" slow retrieval since new! It is what it was!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #8

Pat, I don't know if this applies to the coaches built earlier than 2017.

However, in our case, Entegra was supplied electric jackscrews with electrical connections that had a male pin on the jackscrews side. Problem is, Entegra had asked for a female pin. This would have been better because the wiring harness for the coach had this wiring terminate with a male pin.

With the double male pin arrangement, the pins would make contact and everything would work, for a while. After some time had elapsed, this imperfect contact would begin to fail. As this occurred, you will notice one side unpowered. If this failure happened in just the right way, the jackscrew would be damaged and no longer function.

In our case, the connector problem caused the jackscrew to fail.

Ultimately, Entegra sent a kit out to those affected coaches including a pigtail with the proper ends to correct the improper pin problem. They also sent a new jackscrew and included two 1/4" quick release pins which was a mid-year running change.

The 1/4" quick release pins are intended to be used to quickly and easily release the bottom of each jackscrew in the event of failure.

Frankly, this powered cover feature is one I can live without. It's already cost me a lot of heartache, and I'd be happy to retro an unpowered cover setup.

Bottom line though, carefully listen and watch your cover open and close each time. If you hear the jackscrews really loading up (motor radically slowing) you need to take your hand off the rocker switch and investigate before you turn your lift mechanism into a pretzel.

-Matt
Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #9

My motors have always labored lifting the lid and on several occasions have failed to raise without help to get it started. And stopped once while coming down. Waited a while and it came on down. Dealer could not replicate the up and down problems but are going to replace them due to the laboring of the motors.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Just received word the manufacturer has agreed to ship us all new brackets,
motors and related parts for both sides and Entegra has agreed to 1 and 1/2
hours labor charge. Will let you know what we receive and if anything is different as far as changes to the assemblies. Thanks
Old 03-30-2017, 07:07 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Replacements from MORryde

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent Hinge.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	156549

I was not to happy with the hinge problem, but MORryde did the right thing and got a replacement actuator and hinge out to me promptly. Very happy with their service effort. They also sent the wiring upgrade to correct the male to male pin connection to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurninDiesel View Post
Just received word the manufacturer has agreed to ship us all new brackets,
motors and related parts for both sides and Entegra has agreed to 1 and 1/2
hours labor charge. Will let you know what we receive and if anything is different as far as changes to the assemblies. Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurninDiesel View Post
Sitting here with our Engine Back cover half open as it failed and the passenger side strut just fell off and bracket is totally bent. "They" sent us the new connectors a month ago and had no record of it nor that we had signed off on the recall sheet and sent it back! 3 days ago they said the reason for the recall was the cause of this exact problem. We explained it was performed and they should have a record of it. Today we got an E-mail that they have contacted the bracket manufacturer to see if they would cover it. We sent a pic last week of the failed piston/strut and bent bracket. So here we sit! Geez
We have a 2017, but haven't seen anything on a recall for this. Do you have a copy of the notice or a recall# and which units are effected?
M&S Norrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #13

Sue, I'd suggest calling Entegra CS with your VIN as they can best answer that question without actually seeing the coach.

However, there is a better way to know.

Simply open the engine cover and locate the connectors for each jackscrew. Gently pry the locking tab enough to disconnect both connectors. Once apart, inspect each connector for male pins on each plug end. If you see male pins on both sides of this connection, you are subject to the recall.

What you would ideally see would be a male pin on one side, and a corresponding female socket. If this is the case, you are just fine.

While you're fooling around with this, it is a VERY wise idea to remove the lower bolt and nut fastener on the jackscrew, and replace with a 1/4" pin with safety bail. This way, should a failure occur, you can easily remove the pin without any wrenching, and get the engine cover open.

I hope this helps Sue,

-Matt
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Update...We cancelled our trip to New Orleans for tomorrow as we pressed EC for a shipping date and learned the parts, motors and assemblies were shipped today and will arrive Sunday via Fed Ex Ground. Better late than never. We had performed the recall as instructed and still had the failure. Why I don't know unless the recall was too late arriving for our situation but I will say that there are some suggestions for getting around the problem in order to travel and then it came to me the Liability involved. This Coach will not move until the fix is in. Period! The ramifications if that steel door flew of at say 65 MPH maybe higher? and caused any damage or worse.. a life threatening situation is not something we would expose ourselves to nor anyone on the road around us. Just happy the parts are on the way and we are safe here waiting to fix it properly and without undue liability.As far as the Ball joint Recall our next trip is straight, a play on words, to Spartan on our way to Upper Michigan at a safe speed and we did get the Tyron Bands installed at delivery.

Tags
engine, power