Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
We were driving in the Shenandoah and I was on cruise control and I sped up like crazy,,,DW was very upset with me,,I will give it another try.

CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
OH...that released an engram or 2 out of my brain. LOL I now remember reading the option to tap and set the EB.

On your first sentence about the ECM, I'm thinking that might refer to the brake lights not being activated while having the EB activated with no throttle? That makes sense to me. Not sure why one would want the ECM to always turn the EB off when there is no throttle.
No to your question. I want my brake lights to come on when the EB engages so the drivers behind me know that I'm slowing down ... and I'm not saying the ECM ALWAYS turns the EB off when there is no throttle. Please read my post again.

Not everyone want their EB to work the way I'm going to have the ECM programmed, but this works perfectly for me. I'm well aware of the pros and cons.

By the way, one advantage for keeping the EB active all the time is that it is easy to test it to make sure it works. I know owners who live in the flat lands of the midwest and south, who claim they never turn the EB on because they don't need it. I wonder if they ever test it to see if it works. Would hate to be one of them and travel out to Colorado only to find that the first time I really need the EB, it doesn't work.

Conclusion - decide what/how you want to use your EB and make sure you test it frequently. If you leave it on all the time like I do, make sure to continue using your brakes and don't rely on the EB to slow/stop you. All this JMHO of course.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
No to your question. I want my brake lights to come on when the EB engages so the drivers behind me know that I'm slowing down ... and I'm not saying the ECM ALWAYS turns the EB off when there is no throttle. Please read my post again.

Not everyone want their EB to work the way I'm going to have the ECM programmed, but this works perfectly for me. I'm well aware of the pros and cons.

By the way, one advantage for keeping the EB active all the time is that it is easy to test it to make sure it works. I know owners who live in the flat lands of the midwest and south, who claim they never turn the EB on because they don't need it. I wonder if they ever test it to see if it works. Would hate to be one of them and travel out to Colorado only to find that the first time I really need the EB, it doesn't work.

Conclusion - decide what/how you want to use your EB and make sure you test it frequently. If you leave it on all the time like I do, make sure to continue using your brakes and don't rely on the EB to slow/stop you. All this JMHO of course.
OH...I hope we aren't having a failure to communicate. LOL

I totally agree, to each there own. I really tried hard to follow that first sentence and it just seemed to present me with some logical challenges to follow...then again, I am logic challenged.

I think we are absolutely on the same page about the break lights coming on when the EB is activate. I think they should be on and if some one behind me thinks I am riding my brakes and expect them to fail and thus give me more room...

I think I understand what you were saying better now. You were coming from the point of using the quick tap to activate the brakes and thus being at idle throttle would not disengage them. I was thinking in terms of using the switch and wondering why I would want the EB to stop working at idle throttle setting.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Two thoughts....and a comment.

I run with the EB off on the flats, and on when in hills that are steep enough on the down to speed up the coach 10+mph.
With the EB on and in cruise, freewheeling down a hill will activate the EB once you go fast enough....@+5mph.

In mountainous terrain, I manually gear down.....either to 5th or 4th gear. Allison Transmission manual would recommend on depending on the EB on steep downhills...GEAR DOWN!

I've been in an emergency stop situation in a coach, and I can say that I Stomped on the Brakes with both feet, Engaged the Jake Brake praying for a fast stop, and then steered around the idiot who stopped in the middle of the interstate......and that was all in the first second........WHEW!!

When we were shopping for coaches, I remember driving a coach that had a vertical handle on the 2-Stage Jake Brake. That made the switch remarkably different than any of the other switches, and therefore easily identifiable from all other switches on the console. I'd like that kind of switch on my EB.....not the same rocker that is on all the other switches. The one thing I'm not going to do, is take my eyes off the road to look down to pick the EB Switch.

This one goes on my suggestions to Entegra List for Petoskey.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #19

Ours will not engage while going downhill and gaining speed. According to a Spartan tech I spoke to it should. We are having it corrected at our factory visit this summer. On the question of turning it on or not wouldn't we be adequately exercising the service brakes if we left the engine brake on and yet still used the service brakes? Is there a disadvantage to this?
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #20

Well engine braking is very effective Slowing the coach, So no I don't believe you'll be using your brakes as much if you're slowing the coach with the engine brake.
Sun City Center, FL
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #21

By the way, there is a time I do engage the engine break that I forgot to mention. When I'm doing high-speed Interstate travel in and around major metropolitan areas, I set my auxiliary brake on stage two in case there's an emergency.
Sun City Center, FL
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #22

I keep mine set to the highest stage EXCEPT on wet or slick roads when it is off. I have owned and driven trucks for years and feel very confident in using the brakes often enough and hard enough to keep them from glazing, I want the extra stopping power to help make up for my slower reaction time as I get "more mature". This added help in an emergency is priceless in my opinion and certainly worth the risk of shorter brake life which I feel confident in preventing anyway. Bottom line I want all the advantages I can get in an emergency. All just my opinion.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW, I use the aux brake in hilly terrain and switch it off and on as necessary. Its the inboard switch, second row back, so no searching required. I also like the mild retard with the cruise engaged. I don't like it for normal driving because (for me) it makes the ride too jerky.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #24

Hello as a diesel mechanic for over 46 years I say this, my coach my EB I use it cause it helps it was put there for a reason (to help slow the coach down) if it wear out get it O/H. I do turn my on from High to Low as necessary but mine is on all the time.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #25

I put a couple felt pads on my switch so it's easy to find without looking....it's on most of the time.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
As for making the brake switch easy to find, I would love to reverse it and the map switch. Then the brake switch would fall easily under my hand (where it should have been, IMHO). I wonder if the wires are long enough to do that? I will check it out when I am not on the road.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
On a factory visit, I had The C/S folks move it as far forward on the panel as possible..sits by itself where I can get to it without screwing up the any other s/w.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
All of you Entegra owners that have the two stage engine brake are fortunate.

My little ol' ISC 350HP with its PacBrake Exhaust Brake is active all the time whether I am using it or not. At least I don't have to go searching for the switch 'cause it's on 24/7.

If I want to use the EB I take my foot completely off the fuel treadle otherwise when my foot is just resting on the treadle, that's my coast position.

Unfortunately, this will be my last coach. There is no new one in sight for me but if there were it would be an Entegra.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
brake