Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Engine fire suppression

Greetings all

I would l ike to have a fire suppression system I stalled on my coach.

Any recommendations?

Suzzanne
14 Cornerstone
15 Jeep Cherokee latitude
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Community Moderator

I know I received an email from FMCA which offers a 20% discount on this to members.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8423.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	254348
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

That is a fairly new product, and appears to me to be a one and done system. I have my doubts about its ability to totally extinguish a fire.

There are several standard fire extinguisher systems that I have seen installed on diesel pusher coaches. They involve two sized of standard dry or foam fire extinguisher bottles (just large versions of the small ones most of us have carried inside for a long time) and there are one or two jets that are mounted above the diesel engine which are heat sensitive and if triggered, lay foam (or dry chemical (which I think is pretty toxic)) down all over the engine compartment. I have seen both of them advertised on Amazon, and I have watched a presentation at Perry FMCA and also in Quartzsite from a fellow that specializes in engine fire suppression systems and these are the systems that he advocates. I will try googling them and see if I can give you a specific link.

Here is David Bott who has a YouTube video on a fire suppression system (very effective) that costs about $500

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...8&action=click

Those are the types of systems I would be considering if I was committed to going through the installation.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
We have several of our camping friends that have this installed... 20% off is probably good.... Must be replaced within five years I believe....youtube it to see how it works
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Whatever system you choose make sure you have a fire warning light and audible alarm installed on the dash. Almost all engine fires will be fuel fires and without a warning light and alarm a fire can ignite, be extinguished and re-ignite without you knowing it has happened. A light and alarm tells you to get off the road and turn off the engine immediately to stop pumping fuel into the fire.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

Cruzer installed a system on his 16 Cornerstone with an alarm & light at the dash.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Fire extinguisher

Clean agents like FM 200 are the BEST, BUT to work effectively need an enclosed space.

The powder in dry chemical extinguishers is corrosive, but if you have a fire who cares. Use it in/on an airplane it would need dismantling & cleaning.

Most important thing is never trust the needle in the gauge, it can be on green & not work or be on red & work!

All fire extinguishers (unless disposable ones) require hydrostatic pressure tests, 5 years for some, 12 years for others.

Fire extinguishers also require an annual inspection, tagged showing last date checked.

It's not worth buying one that requires the inspections. The disposable ones we all have, should be replaced every year. They're very cheap. Teach the kids & grandkids how to use one, let them discharge one. P.A.S.S, P for pulling the pin, A for aim, S for squeeze the handle & S for sweep/spray side to side.

A 5# dry chemical can put out a lot of fire.

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I installed a system similar to Cruzer’s. Fairly easy to install although getting to a couple of the screws too some wiggling. I did the sticks in my generator box while at homecoming. Saw the demo and was impressed.
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

firefightproducts.com
Fire Fight Products, llc.
6101 Anno Ave Orlando, FL 32809
Phone: 321-299-5707
fax 866-509-8961
firefightproducts@yahoo.com

Have not purchased yet but they have a good system and you can get the alarm.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #10

For the engine compartment I would use a foam product. The THIA product listed above is designed for enclosed spaces. The gas in the product depletes the oxygen and that is how the fire is extinguished. So on a vented compartment like the engine compartment it is less effective. The foam basically does the same thing by smothering the fire in foam. Foam is also far easier to clean up after used than dry chemical/powder.

Personally I have a 2 head, 3 litter system in the engine bay as well as 3 of the SS-30 extinguishers in the coach bays.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #11

I realize everyone is discussing a saftey device which could be very critical in an emergency. However what I don't know is the frequency of engine fires in big rigs. I don't have a fire extinguisher system in my car, as I am guessing most people don't, so wondering how big the risk is of not having one in the rig. If the risk is the same as a car fire, I'll pass.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #12

I would wonder the same thing. Are engine fires that prevalent in Diesel Pushers and in the Generator compartment? If there are any stats out there on those types of fires I would also be curious as to the age of the rigs. Are those types of fires more prevalent on older rigs?
Old 07-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
What’s that old phrase, an ounce of prevention
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #14

The only thing I could find, after only brief research, is here...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lyu0Dnq_eMapdO
I agree with a certain amount of prevention, which is why I am getting the Rettroband installed next month, but I'm not sure about fire suppression in the engine compartment. Heck, maybe I should invent RV indoor sprinkler system and see how many I could sell.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, fire