RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Engine light

Greetings Entegra Owners,

Need some information/guidance. I start my coach every day to re-level the chassis with the Hadley Air leveling system. Today my engine light came on. The Fault Code is as follows:

SOURCE 0 ENGINE
SPN 5848 FMI4

This is what it means:

3899 Amber After treatment 1 SCR Intermediate NH3
Sensor - Voltage Below Normal or Shorted to Low Source

The closest Cummins facility is in Kenner LA, waiting for a return call for a service appointment.

So my question to the group is this something that needs to be addressed soonest or can it wait until after Thanksgiving?

I don't know when the appointment can be made as of this morning.

Appreciate any input.

Thank you

sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #2

You have NH3 (Nitrogren)sensors in your SCR filter, the big silver canister in your exhaust that uses DEF to scrub diesel particulate. Typically when they go bad, they go open and drop below voltage parameters and you get this code. The sensor and "module" (circuit board in a little plastic case right next to the module) get replaced and it fixes the problem. Easy to get to, looks like a O2 sensor on a car with the little plastic case plugged into it, located on the top of the filter.

I would do my best to get to the nearest Cummins dealer. I don't think you will damage anything, but I do think the engine will eventually de-rate (lose horsepower) and stop producing typical horsepower, meaning you will have to drive it in"limp" mode after that.

RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #3

Suzzanne, IMHO a daily start is something to be avoided. I suspect this practice may be partly to blame for your current issue.

Have you contacted Cummins to consult with them on this fault? If so, they need to know youíve been performing daily short runs.

In the SCR era engines, short runs and long idle times can result in a code being thrown. There are some technical reasons for this, but suffice it to say frequent short runs of the engine arenít the best thing for your engine.

Is there some way to add a supplemental electric compressor, feeding the system through a dedicated dryer?

Many members use a Viair 450C. I believe you could easily add this, and plumb it into the system. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could control the Viair with a pressure switch. This would automatically turn on the pump when the air pressure drops.

The only gotcha, you really want an air dryer in the supplemental air supply.

This would be a rudimentary version of how the newer coaches work.

Just a thought..

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #4

Call Cummins with your engine serial number and tell them you have this code. I believe your engine has a campaign available that eliminates the intermediate NH3 sensor and possibly includes a new SCR catalyst.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #5

Susan

You should not need to fire up the Cummins to re-level your coach every day. I can let the coach sit on air leveling for at least a week without having to worry about the coach not being level.... I would hypothesize that there is an air leak somewhere in the leveling system that is letting the coach bleed air and fall down. I would guess that you need to find the leak. You might even be able to hear it if you listen up near the manifold (right by the driver front tire/wheel).

Secondly, as Matt says, extended and frequent low idle engine runs will lead to a build up of carbon in your "after processing section (what most of us would call the catalytic converter on a car). The after processing area has a ton of sensors there to detect the build up of carbon that has not been "burned". So, the recommendation is to limit idling as much as possible under any condition, certainly not a half hour or more every day. That soot accumulates and is "burned" out by the engine and exhaust running hot like it would be going down the road. If the engine does not spend a good deal of time moving at highway speeds, then sometimes the engine will need to go into a "passive regeneration" which is 1000 to 1500 revs for an hour or two. So lots of short runs or low rev idling will lead to more build up of soot that is not burned out of the After Processing System and tend to throw codes. I know you probably know most of that, but it is an important issue to consider in this case.

Now, I would recommend calling Spartan or Cummins and try to figure out if your problem could likely be triggered by the short runs, low revs engine periods and if that error code is likely produced by what we are guessing, or if it indicates a problem with the air filter. Keep us informed.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

First as said by others stop the short idle times. Second if you idle do you use high idle? Finally the first thing I would do is take a nice long drive like 40 to 50 miles and see if the code clears itself which emissions codes often do.
jdmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #7

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmain View Post
First as said by others stop the short idle times. Second if you idle do you use high idle? Finally the first thing I would do is take a nice long drive like 40 to 50 miles and see if the code clears itself which emissions codes often do.
I agree with this.

Do a good long drive, work it like you stole it! It may need to do a regen,(burn off the carbon built up in the DPF) so it may take while.

Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We had a mik FMI 3229 FMI 20 light (Nox 2 aftertreatment drift high). Took it to Cummins in Grand Junction , turned out that the sensor had a build up on it and need cleaning. Suspect with all your short run times you are getting the same. We are unable to initiate a forced regen ( requires cummings program). Driving like you stole it will do the same thing. It you idle too long the computer will start a regen by itself. If you have transient fault it will clear by itself afte X number of starts.

Best advice is to contact Cummings Customer Service and the can advise you on the severity of the light and whether this needs to be addressed immediately or it can wait til you get home. I have found it is easier to do a chat after hours, go to cummings website and there is a link to it. You will need your engine serial number when you call or chat. Serial number is located on the placard behind the drivers chair.

Hope this hells.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
thank you
Old 11-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Gary,

I gotta tell you, this is my 3rd diesel pusher and have never had any issues with starting the coach at least once a month, I had no idea about the short run of the engine. I have my jacks down now and will take the recommendation of not starting my engine. I need to get in the habit of taking a drive at least once a month.

I was told by Cummings that the DPF filter requires annual service, I don't know if the previous owner did that or not.

Thanks again
Old 11-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you,

I will check out the website and hopefully get some clarification after I mention them that I start the engine at least once a day, or 2-3 times a week. I shall stop that.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you,

No I do not use high idle. I will take a drive after I contact Cummins.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you

I will take a drive after I talk to Cummins
Old 11-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #14

Well, that might be true Suzanne, but that is the first I have heard of that from anyone. I had a ton of problems with my Anthem first year with this system, but the problem had nothing to do with anything that was annual serviceable, and frankly, I NEVER had anything serviced annually on my Anthem after the found the faults that were causing me problems. Same is true for this Cornerstone.... no one have ever told me that I need to have anything serviced annually on this coach/engine either.

What did they say needed serviced annually?

Anyone else have something on their annual service list that includes the DPS? If you are burning out the soot on a regular basis by doing a passive regen while running down the road at speed, then I would think that beyond replacing the "catalytic converter" part of the system every couple of hundred thousand miles of use, it would take care of itself.... If I am mistaken here, people, please inform me.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light