Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
The plug in the engine compartment can be used for many things including the block heater. At home I use it for my smoker. For whatever reason this plug on the 2014, 15 and 16 (don't know about the 2017) IS inverted so you do not want to plugging in your block heater when not on generator or shore power.
On the 2017 CS's, the outlet in the engine compartment is not hot when you are disconnected from shore power.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #16

Quote:
The plug in the engine compartment can be used for many things including the block heater. At home I use it for my smoker. For whatever reason this plug on the 2014, 15 and 16 (don't know about the 2017) IS inverted so you do not want to plugging in your block heater when not on generator or shore power.
Not on the inverter for 2017. From what I understand nothing in the basement is on the inverter for 2017.
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
If planning to use the block heater to any extent, especially if the outlet in the engine compartment is on the inverter, I'd install a 120v lighted switch to turn off the heater when not needed. It'd be a lot more convenient than having to go into the engine bay to plug and unplug the heater.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty123 View Post
Not on the inverter for 2017. From what I understand nothing in the basement is on the inverter for 2017.
If the basement plugs were not inverted then you could not have a basement fridge/freezer. Taking the engine plug off an inverted curcuit for 2017 was probably smart but I think you will find on an Anthem and Cornerstone ALL basement plugs will be inverted.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #19

First, there are three different engine heating systems under discussion in this thread:

- The Wait to Start light is an indicator that the heating grid in the motor's intake plenum is heating up the air so that heated air will enter the combustion chamber and allow the motor to start. This is a Cummins feature and operates automatically unless the motor is up to operating temperature.

- The plug-in block heater is also provided by Cummins as part of the motor spec. It is located in the engine compartment and is typically not plugged in. It is mostly provided for storage in VERY cold temperatures for the purpose of preventing damage to the motor on a long term basis, and takes quite a while to heat the motor.

- The engine heater controlled by your VegaTouch is comprised of a circulation pump, hoses that circulate coolant through the motor, and the Aqua Hot to heat it. In my experience, with the AH running on diesel, this heater will heat up your motor very quickly...20 degrees or more per hour. This should be used when your motor temperature is low and you want to start and go. When in cold temps I tend to turn it on when I get up in the morning and shut it off when I start the motor.

As DSL417 noted, if the motor temp is above ten degrees, the motor can be started in the usual manner (turn on the key, crank as soon as the "Wait to Start" lamp goes out).

This will allow the motor to start, but is not necessarily ideal. Ideally, for the health of the motor, the warmer it is when started (up to normal operating temperature), the better. Marginally better. So it's a question of judgment, how much time you want to wait, how finicky you want to be.

I like the motor to reach at least 40 degrees F before I start it.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #20

Quote:
If the basement plugs were not inverted then you could not have a basement fridge/freezer. Taking the engine plug off an inverted curcuit for 2017 was probably smart but I think you will find on an Anthem and Cornerstone ALL basement plugs will be inverted.
At least on my 2017 basement plugs are not on inverters. Frig/freezer runs off 12 volt when not on 50 amp.
Actually, I wish they would have just taken the engine heat off and left the rest on the inverter.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #21

Thanks for all the info guys. So it sounds like unless I'm below freezing I can start the engine using the normal method, otherwise using the Aqua Heat engine heater is the best method.

Which brings me to another question. At home in NC I've been using the Aqua Floor heat via the Vega touch to keep the coach warm. I have never turned on the engine heat yet when I check the Aqua Heat lights in the basement the Engine heat light is on. Does anyone have an idea why this might be?
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
My engine preheater is two things; a block heater that warms the block by warming the coolant therein, and an oil pan heater that warms the oil. These two separate heaters are connected to a single cord that plugs into an outlet inside the rear engine doors. This one outlet, and only this outlet, is protected by its own circuit breaker, and that's what I use to control it. I employ the engine heaters anytime I'm gonna start with temps below 60ish. Warmer, 50-60, flip it at wake-up the day of departure, just use it for a few hours -ish. Colder than 50, flip it on the night before departure -ish. These two heaters take something like 14 amps of 120 juice -- that's a lot of power! Overkill?? Maybe, but why do anything halfway.

For me, no block heater sufficiently warms the oil, the oil is not in the block, it's in the oil pan, below the block and heat rises. If you want to warm the oil, an oil pan heater is your only option. I assume glow plugs et al are not part of the OP's question.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
... I assume glow plugs et al are not part of the OP's question.
I mentioned glow plugs because Mercedes, VW, and some other diesels use glow plugs instead of heat grids. Just trying to cover all bases.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
At least on my 2017 basement plugs are not on inverters. Frig/freezer runs off 12 volt when not on 50 amp.
Actually, I wish they would have just taken the engine heat off and left the rest on the inverter.
Tadd,

What about your Girard awnings, do you have to run the generator or be on shore power to run them in and out?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Tadd,

What about your Girard awnings, do you have to run the generator or be on shore power to run them in and out?
At least on the 2015 units, the girards will operate on inverter power.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Tadd,

Yes, my awnings will run with power off. However, they come off the inverter circuit for the living room on my 2017, not the basement.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, my awnings will run with power off. However, they come off the inverter circuit for the living room on my 2017, not the basement.
I think even previous year Aspires had inverted basement plugs. It is a shame that Entegra went cheap and took them off the inverters in 2017.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #28

Quote:
I think even previous year Aspires had inverted basement plugs. It is a shame that Entegra went cheap and took them off the inverters in 2017.
Yep, I agree. Don't know why they didn't just take the engine heater off the inverter and leave the rest alone, but I guess it is what it is.
Doesn't really make much difference unless you're dry camping, but I have two frig/freezer, in basement, and had to run both 120 and 12 volt so the second one had power on the road.

Tags
engine, heat