Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra and Rand McNally 7720

Just want to renew this discussion, as it is my understanding this may be an option in the future as opposed to the Exite system currently installed.

So we're headed to a KOA in Middlebury IN on Highway 13. The infamous 7720 tells us to turn right on 120, go 15 miles east, 2 miles north, travel back on I80 to Highway 13 and exit to south, go several miles south to arrive at our destination. 35 miles of extra travel...

I am sitting at the highway 13 and 120 intersection, looking at the KOA sign 150 yards directly in front of me. Fortunately, I'd already looked at google maps and knew where I was going...and it was daylight.

This is not the first time...bottom line, RM 7720 IS NOT the cat's meow

Recommend you try the Exite version before your shell out the extra bucks. We have the iPad version with all the 7720 functionality and it is a disappointment. Before you suggest we might have it set up incorrectly, between the intersection and the campground, there were no overpasses, low hanging limbs, narrow roads, overweight bridges, toll roads, or any of the other settings present that would have deterred the software from saying go 300 feet and turn left.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe it wanted you to avoid getting animal guts on your fabulous coach when you turn left into the KOA, running over that dead skunk in the road.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Before you suggest we might have it set up incorrectly, between the intersection and the campground, there were no overpasses, low hanging limbs, narrow roads, overweight bridges, toll roads, or any of the other settings present that would have deterred the software from saying go 300 feet and turn left.
I just have to ask if you took this under consideration? The instructions point out that the device takes your length into account when making recommendations and routes you according to its best guess on ease of turns etc. The guide goes on to say that if you find it sending you on longer routes with too many turns, that you either shorten the length of your coach or even set it to a "car" profile. While I agree that the shortest route for you was straight ahead and turn left, I wonder if it would have chosen that route if it thought you were shorter and could more easily make that left turn? The possibility exists that it tried to route you based on its best guess of ease of making turns based on your profile.

JMHObservations.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I can see it sending you a few miles longer based on size, but 35 miles?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

What the heck did we do before the 18 year old GPS revolution?
Read a map? OMG

Quote:
Just want to renew this discussion, as it is my understanding this may be an option in the future as opposed to the Exite system currently installed.
overweight bridges, toll roads, or any of the other settings present that would have deterred the software from saying go 300 feet and turn left.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
As we approached that intersection we switched it to car mode with the same result.

Bottom line...all the systems have their challenges. I will say, the Exite system that came in the coach has never done this to me.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
As we approached that intersection we switched it to car mode with the same result.

Bottom line...all the systems have their challenges. I will say, the Exite system that came in the coach has never done this to me.
But it will someday so be careful with saying never. When I set a destination on my Xite from my home, it takes me down the main road and suggests I make turns onto roads that don't exist or are 5 ft wide dirt tracks thru the desert that only an ATV could travel. On several trips, it has suggested routing over mountain passes with severe switchbacks that we wouldn't have been able to make had I not researched the route and known better than to try it.

When we leave on a trip, I've mapped it out with a printed map, used google maps looking at the complete route from above, checked for low clearances, restricted routes based on length and then have printed out turn by turn directions. When we get ready to leave, I plug in the info in the Xite and then chuckle about how wrong it gets the route. Again, JMHO.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
here is what we all have used before

Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
But it will someday so be careful with saying never. When I set a destination on my Xite from my home, it takes me down the main road and suggests I make turns onto roads that don't exist or are 5 ft wide dirt tracks thru the desert that only an ATV could travel. On several trips, it has suggested routing over mountain passes with severe switchbacks that we wouldn't have been able to make had I not researched the route and known better than to try it.

When we leave on a trip, I've mapped it out with a printed map, used google maps looking at the complete route from above, checked for low clearances, restricted routes based on length and then have printed out turn by turn directions. When we get ready to leave, I plug in the info in the Xite and then chuckle about how wrong it gets the route. Again, JMHO.
Google Maps before any drives. I use the map view to get landmark businesses for turns, then switch to the satellite view where I want to look at the terrain, curves, bridges, etc. Recognize it doesn't tell everything, but then when whatever the GPS maps say sounds goofy, I can react.

Or at worst, pull over and look at the good old American atlas (or Canadian). Can't help it...spent the better part of my life looking at or creating maps

That said, JMHO, I haven't seen much advantage with the 7720 over the Exite.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

Dave, you should have just pulled into that little ice cream store at that intersection and had a good softy while you were laughing at the GPS. By the way, where did you get the US map that you are coloring located under your name?
Pops Youell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Pops,

They have a puppy cup that hit the spot with the up, so we been there; it has been thirty years since I saw a tastee freeze so busy...small town America ... love it.

Use the "states visited" search on IRV and you'll find the software for the "visited" map. Follow the instructions and save it and your there.