Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Smile Entegra Anthem drive vs. Newmar Comfort drive

I am looking for some input on the difference between an Anthem with IFS on the Spartan chassis vs. the Newmar comfort drive system on either a Dutch Star or Mountain Aire using a Freightliner chassis.

The owners of Comfort Drive coaches swear by them and say they would never be without.

Have any of your driven both in your evaluations and could tell us the difference if any? We are going to Hershey and are looking and the Anthem and Dutch Star. Thanks Bill
Mr_Mechanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have read numerous posts and agree, you won't get a Newmar driver to back away from Comfort Drive, and I know it is touted as a big selling point. Haven't driven one, but what I can tell you is I drove 630 hard miles in Western PA and MD day before yesterday...a lot of curves at 70 mph and a fair share of bumpy roads. I can give a thumbs up to Anthem IFS. Anthem is more coach than the DS so you'll likely see a little higher price, but it is a great coach. If you find all else equal (and I'd be surprised), but if you do, then take the Comfort Steer. I think you'll find more in the Anthem as the Aspire and the DS are a fairer comparison of coaches, less the steering. JMHO

Good luck...it is a good show, and if they set up like last year, you can walk back and forth across the street and compare till you've made your choice. That's what I did last year...lots of fun, but a little overwhelming at that time for us.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I have read numerous posts and agree, you won't get a Newmar driver to back away from Comfort Drive, and I know it is touted as a big selling point. Haven't driven one, but what I can tell you is I drove 630 hard miles in Western PA and MD day before yesterday...a lot of curves at 70 mph and a fair share of bumpy roads. I can give a thumbs up to Anthem IFS. Anthem is more coach than the DS so you'll likely see a little higher price, but it is a great coach. If you find all else equal (and I'd be surprised), but if you do, then take the Comfort Steer. I think you'll find more in the Anthem as the Aspire and the DS are a fairer comparison of coaches, less the steering. JMHO

Good luck...it is a good show, and if they set up like last year, you can walk back and forth across the street and compare till you've made your choice. That's what I did last year...lots of fun, but a little overwhelming at that time for us.
I guess you do realize the Dutch Star has IFS as well as the Comfort Drive?
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need to drive any coach your interested in for you own comfort.
You may or may not like Comfort Drive.
To find out about some Dutch Stars before the show read a few threads by THE HOOT's very informative and the threads will give you a back ground for what ever coach you would be interested in.
Good luck in your quest and enjoy the adventure.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBlue View Post
I guess you do realize the Dutch Star has IFS as well as the Comfort Drive?
No negatives suggested...both good coaches.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What is going to get interesting is that, if I have my information correct, TRW's 5 year deal with Newmar is about to end. That means TRW will be allowed to sell the system to other MH manufacturers.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mechanica View Post
I am looking for some input on the difference between an Anthem with IFS on the Spartan chassis vs. the Newmar comfort drive system on either a Dutch Star or Mountain Aire using a Freightliner chassis.

The owners of Comfort Drive coaches swear by them and say they would never be without.

Have any of your driven both in your evaluations and could tell us the difference if any? We are going to Hershey and are looking and the Anthem and Dutch Star. Thanks Bill
Do a search of the Entegra forum and you will find several threads where this topic has been discussed before.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
What is going to get interesting is that, if I have my information correct, TRW's 5 year deal with Newmar is about to end. That means TRW will be allowed to sell the system to other MH manufacturers.

Ended 2 years ago. Only other manufacture to have it is Newell.

I would like to hear from someone that has driven both myself. I've put some big miles behind the wheel of this Dutch Star (800+) and and still can't believe the difference.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Comfortdrive vs whatever

I know there are Newmar Zealots who lurk on the Entegra forum but I'll give you my .09 cents. I was testing RVs last fall and drove a; Winnebago Tour 42,Itasaca Ellipse 42, Entegra Aspire 42 DLQ, Newmar DutchStar 4318w comfort drive. Now let me admit my bias. My previous RV was a 40ft Monaco Diplomat (non-tag). I thought the Winny/Itasca Ellipse was nice but somewhat "mushy", I thought the Entegra was solid and quiet, I thought the Newmar with Comfort Drive was nice and solid but honestly I couldn't tell the difference from the Entegra. IMHO the tag axle is the key. I know the Newmar crowd will jump in but I don't think the Comfort Drive should make you buy that coach over another. I've read all the literature about crosswinds and rutted roads but so far my tag axle Entegra handles fine. I think Comfort Drive is akin to Electraglide or Powermatic sales features.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I drove a Mountain Aire before I bought my Anthem. I liked the Comfort Drive, but the Anthem drives great without it, and in the end I bought the Anthem based on other likes and dislikes. While I would have liked the Comfort Drive it was not a huge plus and not enough to sway me away from Entegra.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #11

I have never driven a Newmar. We just never found a Newmar that had a floor plan that we loved or had all the features we wanted. But our 2 previous coaches were both Holiday Rambler Navigators which are top of the line in the Monaco family. In comparison the Entegra Anthem is smoother, quieter and easier to steer but the Navigator had more HP (we will see a difference in the mountains.)
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
I have never driven a Newmar. We just never found a Newmar that had a floor plan that we loved or had all the features we wanted. But our 2 previous coaches were both Holiday Rambler Navigators which are top of the line in the Monaco family. In comparison the Entegra Anthem is smoother, quieter and easier to steer but the Navigator had more HP (we will see a difference in the mountains.)
You're going to love it...when are you headed to the big sky country???
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #13

"The CD (Column Drive by TRW, Newmar calls it Comfort Drive) product is an electronic steering aid that is located between the steering wheel and the steering gear. It is not connected to, nor does it directly affect any portion of the hydraulic system. It is a software-driven computerized device that utilizes an electro servo motor to react to user steering input, steering gear feedback and self centering predictability".

Frank Wyzywany, of Spartan Chassis, told me this can be an option on any coach for a $6,500 up charge. No one, except Newmar, see's the value.

I know Entegra Coach looked into this system a few years ago and decided CD was not enough valve to justify the added cost.

I have driven both, and I agree with Entegra.
rvbmw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #14

Awesome answers and feedback! Seems that there isn't a big difference between the drivability of a Entegra and Newmar -- folks seem to be pleased with both.

Comfort Drive appears to really shine when compared to non Entegra coaches but with an Entegra the difference is not a big selling advantage.
Mr_Mechanica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar