Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

Entegra Anthem Eng Temps

As I couldn't find an Entegra area I'm posting this here, hopefully correctly. I just purchased a used 2013 Entegra Anthem with a 450 Cummings ISL, in Idaho and drove it back to Atlanta. The reason for the purchase so far away was obviously a great price. When I got there it was right at the need service mileage and really no way to get it done there. So I kept a close eye on the gages and was able to get the service done in Cheyenne Wy. But I kept the digital display on Eng Temps and noticed the when starting up it would warm up to about 183 when you drive it as you added power it would increase say 2 mi per hr it would go up a couple degrees. On hills it would go up to 203.
I called Spartan and Cummings and they said with DP even with side mount radiators this is common and well within specs (overheat is 221).
As the outside temps are quite mild right now I'm somewhat concerned that during the summer when outside temps in the South are higher it will be over heating, as I have only 5 mths left on the warr I would like to get it taken care off if in fact there is a issue.
Am I overly concerned and is anybody else seeing the same thing? Thanks in advance for any advice.
roadrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #2

Smart guess for choosing to post in the TS forum, but in fact there is an Entrgra section under the Jayco forum. A moderator could move this there.

Your numbers sound good to me, and I wouldn't expect a change due to weather. Anytime you're into the turbo in a big way for a long stretch the temps will rise (trans, too). Solution is to slow down & gear down when the going is very long & steep.

Still, couldn't hurt to have a thorough going-over by an authorized Entegra repair facility before warranty expires.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

Eng Temps

As their telling me it's in specs if I insist they go through it I'm pretty sure it'd be on my dime (not real sure on this ). Which I don't really have a problem with. But I do know right now their saying nothing needed so I imagine the dealer would say the same thing.
I am going to the dealer Monday for a couple small things and will talk to them about it.
Thanks for the response
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
As to Anthem temps, I have driven in the 90s and my engine temps ran from 198 to 203. From reading your post, JMHO, don't think you have a problem. In addition, I believe your Cummins engine warrantee runs longer than the Entegra coach warrantee, but you can always check with Cummins customer service or Spartan customer service to verify (I think it is 5 years/50000 on powertrain, but not certain).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #5

Agree with Dave, our 450 ISL engine temps run between 198 - 203. We were in some cooler weather in the north a few weeks ago, and then week before last we were in the mid 90's while in the south. I noticed no change in the engine temps related to ambient temperature after the engine was in use. It doesn't sound like you have any problems to me.
Tim McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for the responses that makes me much more comfortable. My concern was the jumping up and down from 190's to 203 back down and so forth, maybe other motor homes that I've owned did it also but I never watched a digital readout as much as I did this time.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
It sounds like your thermostats are working the way they should. You won't notice it as much with an analog read out as you do with digital.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I'll join the consensus that all appears normal. One thing I will add is that I've pulled some pretty steep hills coming out of Clarkston WA (12 miles of 6% grades) in 90+ degree weather and temps never exceeded 205. The important thing to remember is to gear down when climbing hills. Keep the rpms at 1200 even if you have to gear down to 3rd. You won't go up some hills very fast but what's the rush anyway? On the flats, mine runs consistently at 197 - 199 regardless of outside temps.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
As to Anthem temps, I have driven in the 90s and my engine temps ran from 198 to 203. From reading your post, JMHO, don't think you have a problem. In addition, I believe your Cummins engine warrantee runs longer than the Entegra coach warrantee, but you can always check with Cummins customer service or Spartan customer service to verify (I think it is 5 years/50000 on powertrain, but not certain).

From Cummins literature

"The Base Engine Warranty covers any failures of the Engine which result, under normal use and service, from a defect in material or factory workmanship (Warrantable Failure). This Coverage begins with the sale of the Engine by Cummins and ends five years or 100,000 miles (160,935 kilometers), whichever occurs first, after the date of delivery of the Engine to the first user."
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote