Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
In your case, that 200 gallon tank would be a big benefit. Of course, you drive a lot more miles than the average guy. I can't imagine doing that.

Other than the King Aire, who else offers a 200 gallon tank on their coach?
The only other coaches that I could think of that has over a 200 gallon tanks would be Prevost's. The X3-45,s has a 208 gallon tank & the H3-45's I use to drive has a 235 gallon tank.

Wilson & Jean
Future Full Timing
TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
The only other coaches that I could think of that has over a 200 gallon tanks would be Prevost's. The X3-45,s has a 208 gallon tank & the H3-45's I use to drive has a 235 gallon tank.
I guess it ultimately boils down to how many miles you drive whether a 200 gallon tank is a big deal. Personally, I know my DW would much rather have additional storage than 50 gallons more fuel. I don't really plan on making extended runs so it is not a big deal for me.

Ralph & Janet
2015 Cornerstone 45K (on order for June delivery)
2013 Ford Explorer
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
My fuel tank capacity far exceeds what my diuretic will allow...just sayin'
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not a CS owner but a 450 ISL will give you between 7.1 to 7.5 mpg at what I call the sweet spot, 1850 RPM's to 1900 RPM's.. You'll have to drive the coach a bit to find that grove.. Heavy foot, lighter wallet!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #19

Agreed!!! we rarely get below 1/2 tank before we start looking for an easy in-easy out truck stop
Old 02-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #20

We have a 450 Aspire and when we drove in excess of 65 MPH, we averaged 7.6 MPG.
After we reduced our speed to 60MPH, we have been averaging 9.1 but on the flat are getting between 10 and 10.5, pulling a 4,000 lb toad, so if you want to see more of the scenery and get better gas mileage, but don't mind arriving at your destination half an hour to an hour later, then you might want to consider cutting down your speed. It's also less stressful because most of the traffic is going faster than you are, so you don't have to be changing lanes all the time to pass slower traffic!
Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #21
aza

I tend to "overthink" purchasing anything that costs lots of money (at least in my budget). I'm trying to talk myself into changing my Anthem order to a CS. But the $100K difference is difficult to justify.

The replies to my post suggest that the CS and Anthem traveling at 70 MPH burn within 5% of the same MPG. It is curious that a 600 HP engine competes with a 450 HP for MPG figures.

The Stats:
The Anthem rear axel ratio is 4.88, torque is 1250 at 1400 rpm and has a 6 speed Allison 3000
CS rear axel is 3.73, torque 1950 at 1200 rpm and a six speed Allison 4000 Transmission.

The rear axel ratio suggests that the CS will travel faster than the Anthem at the same RPM. (The transmissions are different which might invalidate my theory.) My heavier Corvette with its large HP and gearing gets much better gas milage at 70 MPH than my four cylinder Chevy S-10.

My theory - Traveling with the RPM in the "sweet spot" (1700 RPM) the larger torque engine in the CS is "loafing" at maybe 72 MPH. While the anthem at 1700 RPM only going 67 MPH. The CS uses more fuel per hour but goes more miles, this produces similar MPG figures.

I thought I could quickly get the answer from Entegra so I called them. They didn't know and referred me to Spartan who said they didn't have a clue.

Will someone tell me their RPM at 70 MPH.
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trose View Post
I tend to "overthink" purchasing anything that costs lots of money (at least in my budget). I'm trying to talk myself into changing my Anthem order to a CS. But the $100K difference is difficult to justify. The replies to my post suggest that the CS and Anthem traveling at 70 MPH burn within 5% of the same MPG. It is curious that a 600 HP engine competes with a 450 HP for MPG figures. The Stats: The Anthem rear axel ratio is 4.88, torque is 1250 at 1400 rpm and has a 6 speed Allison 3000 CS rear axel is 3.73, torque 1950 at 1200 rpm and a six speed Allison 4000 Transmission. The rear axel ratio suggests that the CS will travel faster than the Anthem at the same RPM. (The transmissions are different which might invalidate my theory.) My heavier Corvette with its large HP and gearing gets much better gas milage at 70 MPH than my four cylinder Chevy S-10. My theory - Traveling with the RPM in the "sweet spot" (1700 RPM) the larger torque engine in the CS is "loafing" at maybe 72 MPH. While the anthem at 1700 RPM only going 67 MPH. The CS uses more fuel per hour but goes more miles, this produces similar MPG figures. I thought I could quickly get the answer from Entegra so I called them. They didn't know and referred me to Spartan who said they didn't have a clue. Will someone tell me their RPM at 70 MPH.
You are destined to never get a truly meaningful answer to this MPG question. The biggest variables in fuel consumption is weight and air drag. The greater load imposed by the extra weight of the coach and the effect of the much greater wind drag at 72 vs 67 means that the heavier coach at 5 mph higher speed will trump any difference in gearing even if you weren't comparing 9.7 liters to 15 liters.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I tend to "overthink" purchasing anything that costs lots of money (at least in my budget).
Let's simplify it. If the difference turns out to be 7.5 for the Anthem vs 6.5 for the Cornerstone, is that difference significant enough for you to pass up the Cornerstone?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I tend to "overthink" purchasing anything that costs lots of money (at least in my budget). I'm trying to talk myself into changing my Anthem order to a CS. But the $100K difference is difficult to justify.

The replies to my post suggest that the CS and Anthem traveling at 70 MPH burn within 5% of the same MPG. It is curious that a 600 HP engine competes with a 450 HP for MPG figures.

The Stats:
The Anthem rear axel ratio is 4.88, torque is 1250 at 1400 rpm and has a 6 speed Allison 3000
CS rear axel is 3.73, torque 1950 at 1200 rpm and a six speed Allison 4000 Transmission.

The rear axel ratio suggests that the CS will travel faster than the Anthem at the same RPM. (The transmissions are different which might invalidate my theory.) My heavier Corvette with its large HP and gearing gets much better gas milage at 70 MPH than my four cylinder Chevy S-10.

My theory - Traveling with the RPM in the "sweet spot" (1700 RPM) the larger torque engine in the CS is "loafing" at maybe 72 MPH. While the anthem at 1700 RPM only going 67 MPH. The CS uses more fuel per hour but goes more miles, this produces similar MPG figures.

I thought I could quickly get the answer from Entegra so I called them. They didn't know and referred me to Spartan who said they didn't have a clue.

Will someone tell me their RPM at 70 MPH.
While I agree that the MPG issue is virtually impossible to get a firm answer on, several other issues are not.

You mentioned that you found it difficult to justify a $100K difference between an Anthem and a Cornerstone. I had to make the same decision when I was deciding to choose which one I wanted. The single biggest factor was the K3 chassis. While that 600 HP may cost a few more bucks, the performance in climbing mountains and acceleration getting on freeways was important to me. Add to that the Hadley Air Leveling, Full disc brakes, heavier suspension, Allison 4000 transmission, 3 stage Jake brake and it becomes easier to understand the pricing.

Then of course, you get into the difference in the coach itself. A true residential shower, granite/quartz countertops, induction stove, dual powered slides, a powered generator slide, perimeter security lighting, Villa furniture all add to the cost/value of the product.

The Anthem is a dynamite coach and a great value. I have yet to hear from anyone who has one complaining on this forum. The only thing I do hear is that, when they upgrade, they want a Cornerstone. I guess I just decided to avoid that intermediate step and go for it.

It is the reason they make Chocolate AND Vanilla.

Ralph & Janet
2013 Ford Explorer
Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
While I agree that the MPG issue is virtually impossible to get a firm answer on, several other issues are not.

You mentioned that you found it difficult to justify a $100K difference between an Anthem and a Cornerstone. I had to make the same decision when I was deciding to choose which one I wanted. The single biggest factor was the K3 chassis. While that 600 HP may cost a few more bucks, the performance in climbing mountains and acceleration getting on freeways was important to me. Add to that the Hadley Air Leveling, Full disc brakes, heavier suspension, Allison 4000 transmission, 3 stage Jake brake and it becomes easier to understand the pricing.

Then of course, you get into the difference in the coach itself. A true residential shower, granite/quartz countertops, induction stove, dual powered slides, a powered generator slide, perimeter security lighting, Villa furniture all add to the cost/value of the product.

The Anthem is a dynamite coach and a great value. I have yet to hear from anyone who has one complaining on this forum. The only thing I do hear is that, when they upgrade, they want a Cornerstone. I guess I just decided to avoid that intermediate step and go for it.

It is the reason they make Chocolate AND Vanilla.

Ralph & Janet
2013 Ford Explorer
I envy your position Ralph. If you can you bet, go for the Cornerstone, I know you will not be disappointed. Who knows, 5-8 years down the road, depending on retirement funds a a Cornerstone might be in the cards

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Don,

An Anthem isn't exactly an entry level coach. You may find that it meets your needs for many years to come.

Hopefully, we will be discussing this down the road in the near future over a "cold, frosty, beverage!"

Ralph & Janet
2013 Ford Explorer
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #27

I've had both...
2013 Cornerstone 1600 RPM @ 67 mph. 7-8 mpg not towing
2012 Aspire 1675 rpm @ 67mph. 8-9 mpg not towing
The 600 horse engine uses more DEF than I expected given the extra hp, about 8 gallons for 5,000 miles.
Joe Sahlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Don,

An Anthem isn't exactly an entry level coach. You may find that it meets your needs for many years to come.

Hopefully, we will be discussing this down the road in the near future over a "cold, frosty, beverage!"

Ralph & Janet
2013 Ford Explorer
Ralph,

I'll drink to that

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel