Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Entegra/Newmar

Just out of curiosity what make a newmar worth so much more money than a entegra?

I recently observed

- 2015 cornerstone that the seller put a value @ $349,000

-2015 newmar essex- seller put a value on it @ $433.000

thats 80 grand difference? I will also point out both coaches sold fairly quickly.

whats the newmar magic?
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
People pay higher prices when new. Proof that Entegra is more bang for the buck, just no custom work, everything is standard.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

Well, what are generally considered equivalent coach models across companies cost a lot different right from the initial sale..... Newmars equivalent models cost more.

I have been noting that I have heard some very strong views that Newmar does a better job on their coaches as delivered, but on this trip, I have made a real effort to talk to Newmar owners about their experience with failures and problems on new coaches and I have been impressed with how similar owner views of their one year warranty and problems/issues at Newmar sounds exactly like many Entegra owners experience with problems over their 2 year warranty. And virtually all the Newmar owners I have discussed this with strongly wish they had Entegra's 2 years warranty period.

And there is a strong possibility that the Newmar Essex you are talking about was the personal coach of Newmar's founder (Mr. Miller) Just guessing, but I'd pay more for that "personal "coach also. It's had more than its share of "loving care" by its own dedicated "tech".

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Just out of curiosity what make a newmar worth so much more money than a entegra?

I recently observed

- 2015 cornerstone that the seller put a value @ $349,000

-2015 newmar essex- seller put a value on it @ $433.000

thats 80 grand difference? I will also point out both coaches sold fairly quickly.

whats the newmar magic?
You are comparing apples and oranges. The Essex is not the equivalent model to the Cornerstone. Newmar's Cornerstone matchup is the London Aire which is similarly priced. The Essex was priced much higher when new than either the Cornerstone or the London Aire.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. The Essex is not the equivalent model to the Cornerstone. Newmar's Cornerstone matchup is the London Aire which is similarly priced. The Essex was priced much higher when new than either the Cornerstone or the London Aire.
my question is why? whats the difference? when you read thru the spect sheet what is the difference? better chassis- same k3 - it seems
bigger motor - no
more inverters -no
bigger generator-no
bigger aqua hot- no- (oasis's on newmar I know)
bigger fuel tank capacity - no
comfort drive- some say thats a down fall
better insulated and built better- no way
the list goes on...
point is I don't get it...

whats the magic? shiny cabinets maybe ...

its all good.. just was wondering...
Old 02-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Based on specs identified, lowejug has a point. Is the Essex price point based of "tradition" or perhaps just "legend?"

I suspect a Newmar owner might be able to sort it out. Perhaps one will weigh in.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #7

The point I was trying to make is that there are those who argue
1.). They (Newmar) are better built
2.). They have fewer problems
3.). They have better quality control and state upon delivery
4.). They have lower cost of ownership
5.). They have many more models
6.). They have more floor plans
Etc. Etc. Etc.

My point is that I have made a real effort to compare across companies (for potentially my last new coach) and beyond the obvious, my opinion is the "ownership experience" of the two (which I would argue is the only reasonable basis to compare) is virtually not different.

I am going to begin to read the Newmar area of this web page daily just like I do this one for a year or more. I believe in data and will begin to formally collect that data.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Etc. Etc. Etc.

My point is that I have made a real effort to compare across companies (for potentially my last new coach) and beyond the obvious, my opinion is the "ownership experience" of the two (which I would argue is the only reasonable basis to compare) is virtually not different.

I am going to begin to read the Newmar area if this web page daily just like I do this one for a year or more. I believe in data and will begin to formally collect that data.

Gary
I agree with you..

Its just when I see a brand new newmar king air at a msrp of $950,00 with the only spect difference I could see different than a cornerstone was a 200 gallon fuel tank, I raise an eybrow...
in august I went to the newmar factory in indiana and saw king airs being painted in a barn
just saying...
Old 02-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

I agree with #5 and #6 - Newmar does have more models and certainly more floor plans. They will also customize to your heart's content (or your wallet's capacity). Nice coaches, but I don't feel that they are any better built or have fewer issues. If there is an Entegra floor plan that suits one's needs, it is definitely cheaper. I saw no need to pay more so that someone else could take advantage of a flexible assembly line.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #10

I have owned two Entegras a 13 Aspire DEQ and a 16 Anthem 44B. Can't beat them. I toured the Newmar plant about 18 months ago and it is my opinion that the Entegra is as well made if not better. The big difference is in the customization process that Newmar does. I wouldn't trade the 2 year warranty for that.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
When I started thinking about replacing our previous coach a few years back, I was trying to decide between American Coach and Newmar. Then I discovered the amazing (((Entegra Coach))) and its value, in my opinion, was second to none. I also feel that Entegra is still trying to establish brand awareness. My guess, (and this is purely my own hunch) is that in a few years the target price for a Cornerstone will be approaching a million. Takes time to build that much value in the brand. The same way Louis Vuitton can sell a hand bag for 2k or more. Either way, I love my coach!
UncleJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:20 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I won't get into which is better...we've had the discussion many times before concerning Newmar models and price points. In those discussions, most agreed that when Newmar came out with the London Aire, it really put the Essex in a precarious spot. About the only thing the 2015 Essex's had on the London Aires that first year were high gloss cabinets and Hadley Air. The Essex price at close to 100k more just didn't make sense. JMHO, still doesn't; however, if you want a 2015 Essex, based upon a much higher MSRP (and not too many made), my guess is it will hold the higher price compared to Cornerstone. In 2016, Newmar added the Hadley Air as an option on London Aire, retained Essex (when some of us thought hey might discontinue it), and still priced it between LA and KA. They also raised the London Aire to a price higher than similarly equipped CS.

Beyond that, I think you'll have to talk to a dealer as to why...my guess is there are more 2015 CS on the market than Essex. Not sure there are a lot of used London Aires from 2015 on the market as owners seem pretty happy with them. So maybe the used 2015 Essex is the only thing available much from folks either changing brands or moving up to the King Aire (which is very nice, but a chunk of additional money). JMHO

By the way, don't think there is much use in getting into an us versus them on this one. Used usually sells what the market will bear.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Etc. Etc. Etc.

I am going to begin to read the Newmar area of this web page daily just like I do this one for a year or more. I believe in data and will begin to formally collect that data.

Gary
So if entegra does take notice of the 5 or 6 things you mentioned here then that means that entegra will then dominate the market. Correct, That being said from what I have heard Entegra already has the best selling coach on the market. I could be wrong however I think I can use the extra Dough. However that means a company is in a lot of trouble.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:01 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Both Entegra and Newmar are excellent products. In my opinion they are the best there is below the cost of a Foretavel, Prevost or Newell. The decision between them should be made on the basis of floorplan, features, warranty and cost, not quality which is much the same between Newmar and Entegra. If you are shopping used, then additional factors are coach condition and market availability of a coach that meets your desires.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, entegra