RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Entegra Odyssey 24b Question New 2020 Owner

Hi!, My partner and I just bought a brand new 2020 Entegra Odyssey 24b. We have never owned an RV but love our trips to National Parks, Campsites, Lakes and felt that rather than always renting VBRO etc we could bring our home on wheels with it decked out to our own liking.*

We bought from La Mesa RV and we loved our sales experience with Zach. No pressure, friendly... At the end of the paperwork we were presented with protection plans and since we have never owned an RV we are wondering about these services. Safety and Security are my top of the things that I always keep in mind when making decisions so it is with that lens that I make decisions. I am sure we will make newbie mistakes that we realize "yep we didn't need that or yep we DID need that". We also don't make impulsive quick decisions without research. We have been looking at RVs for well over a year and knew ahead of time what we (thought) we wanted and a good price based on nationwide research of comparative pricing.*

So after that background here are the plans offered:

7 yr* or 5 yr complete protection

USA TRAVEL CARE

AGWS TIRE AND ROAD HAZARD

GUARANTEED ASSET PROTECTION

ECO CLEAN START

SAFERIDE ROADSIDE

We bought it primarily for the two of us though between us we have 6 mostly grown kids and two grandkids and a tiny yorkie. I can't imagine the older kids coming but I do have a 14 yr old that will come for sure on occasion.*

We are so excited about this new adventure and would welcome some experienced advice about these plans. Many thanks for the replies.

Warmly,

Ronda

RCB707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Personally I would not do protection plans. There are manufacturer warranies. And for the most,, but not all out there,, have had nothing but issues with extended warranty.
Dealer tried to bill the manufacturer. They inturn will or will not cover it. Or will cover but a small percentage. Then the dealership is stuck with labor. Nightmare. And you get bumped when a paying customer comes in. I have been bumped because I was having warranty issues fixed. Got bumped because someone was paying for repairs.

Also I was denied at several RV shops when the season started. They only offered service to people who purchased at the dealership.

So I decided to learn for myself and do most repairs I could.

For me. Only roadside assistance is needed. Info carry a spare, only for roadside to swap. And hopefully if I need it. It won't be a far tow to a shop.

Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the bounty hunter ( ). *I* would pass on all the plans mentioned except for some sort of roadside assistance plan (I use Coach-Net). Though, I'm not a fan/believer of extended warranties, so I tend to pass on them at all times.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I bought the extended warranty when I bought in 2014 and it is almost over, and I have never had anything covered by it. Sometimes because I wouldn't wait for them to pre-approve ... or didn't because it was more of an emergency and they didn't answer the phones on the weekends, etc. So, save your money and put the cash you would pay for the warranty in the bank and use it when you need to. Entegra has a 2 year warranty anyway ... (at least I think so on the new models) ... congratulations and hope you enjoy every mile.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Agree with the others. The 2-year warranty from Entegra should get you through the initial burst of problems just fine. Past that, it's mostly going to be things wearing out and regular maintenance, both of which are specifically excluded by extended warranties.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I agree with others also.

There are all kinds of escape clauses in those contracts.

I would find out what one costs per month, and put that money aside for any repairs.

Just have a tow policy, like CoachNet.

KennyGolub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #7

This depends on a number of things. I assume that you may have the same Entegra two (2) year warranty on most items that I carry on my big iron Cornerstone. Is that the case with your Odyssey? If it is, then do you have any other warranty? On my coach, I have 3 years from the Chassis manufacturer (Spartan) and 5 years on the engine and engine related equipment (Cummins)(I'm 72 so how many years am I going to be driving something that is 50,000# and 65' long)??. Given that set of warranties, I did not bite on any protection plan. I looked at the duration of my warranties and the duration of the plan and decided that the plan would do me very little and costs a whole bunch. So, no thanks.

Now, what is your coach warranty, your chassis warranty, and engine/tranny/ etc warranty? if they are similar to mine, then I would seriously take the same block of money, stick it in a "rainy day" checking or savings account, and assume that is your "Kitty" for repairs and problems in the future. We stuff any "found money", money that we really dont live on and is sort of a "surprise" and dump that into the kitty or the "diesel fund". Cross your fingers and hope that your actual costs are a good deal less than the cost of the warranty.

We gave it a lot of thought, but if you buy quality, then you dont need warranty most of the time. That principle is what I follow on the purchase of cars, televisions, etc. etc. That is how I sized up Entegra. Now, sadly, if you read this forum very long, you are going to see that that assumption is not realistic in a whole lot of situations, but overall, we felt that with our warranties that we got "Gratis" with our coaches, we would take the chance... bank the money "wasted" and tackle the future when it occurs. (Now, we made the impulsive decision to buy a new coach after 3 years, so we essentially were without Entegra's warranty for only one year on our '15 Anthem but we worked through most of the big problems within the first two years and year three was easy-peezy. )

............ And YES, definitely a road policy like CoachNet. Good for your cars too and hopefully like some insurance, never needed but when needed, very nice to have.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
There is a reason that dealerships offer extended warranties - and it's not because they are good for their customers. They are extremely profitable for the dealer. You can always find the odd man out who really used his extended warranty - we have friends who swear by theirs - but the majority of folks would be better served by banking the money and "self-insuring." If you are risk adverse and want to be sure you are covered for a future major repair, make sure your the warranty offers national coverage and then call a few out of the area dealerships and find out if they work with the company offering the coverage. Don't get trapped into a warranty where work is only covered at the selling dealership. Emergency repairs rarely happen at home. Good luck in making the right decision for your family and welcome to the Entegra family. Safe travels!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We purchased a 7 year plan when we bought the coach. We have used it 3 times twice for the dash air conditioning and to replace a roof AC unit. These 3 repairs have more than covered the $3200 cost of the policy. NIRV is really good with work on your claim. We are one of the lucky ones that actually get your money back.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #10

Thank you!

For the quick and lengthy replies! We will look at coach net and do as suggested and put the money into a fund. I really appreciate the responses!

RCB707 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra