Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #29

Curt - don't want to beat a dead horse---but. You absolutely need a unit that will protect from high/low voltage, which is much more common that you might think. We've had several instances where our EMS disconnected us due to low park voltage. Low voltage is insidious and will lead to premature failure of air conditioners, for example. I installed the Progressive hard wired unit---wasn't technically difficult but bending the very stiff 6 gauge wire was the biggest problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #30

Curt - from your photo I can see that you are or were in the military. Thank you for your service.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn5 View Post
wasn't technically difficult but bending the very stiff 6 gauge wire was the biggest problem.
I found that to be a problem as well. Solved it by purchasing a foot of 220, 6 gauge wire from Home Depot and made the jump wire from the transfer switch the EMS. That worked great, no hard to work bends, then connected the power cord in a straight shot. I hope it works that well on the Entegra when I install it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #32

It amazes me, no it actually astonishes me, that the owners of this company have their head in the sand on this one. I've voiced my opinion before. You would think they would "get it". They must have a warehouse or a contract with the current manufacture for the unit they are installing... The least they could do would be to offer the HW50 as an option. I've been looking at the Entegra coach for two years now ... I'll continue to look.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #33

Ok guys, I totally agree you need the extra protection. BUT, lets remember something. Entegra is able to build and sell these great, high level coaches at a price point far under the great coaches that Newmar builds precisely because they have engineered a great coach with industry accepted standards and very few, if any options. I suspect that you will find the additional cost to add some of these things is a lot less than paying other coach manufactures "option price" to add them at the factory. Not being critical of anyone or anything here, just reminding everyone why we can buy this high level of a product at a price point that is by far the lowest for the class in the industry. Besides if you really want to specify everything that you want on a coach about your only choice is a Newell........oh well, so much for the dreaming. ALL JMHO
Old 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Ok guys, I totally agree you need the extra protection. BUT, lets remember something. Entegra is able to build and sell these great, high level coaches at a price point far under the great coaches that Newmar builds precisely because they have engineered a great coach with industry accepted standards and very few, if any options. I suspect that you will find the additional cost to add some of these things is a lot less than paying other coach manufactures "option price" to add them at the factory. Not being critical of anyone or anything here, just reminding everyone why we can buy this high level of a product at a price point that is by far the lowest for the class in the industry. Besides if you really want to specify everything that you want on a coach about your only choice is a Newell........oh well, so much for the dreaming. ALL JMHO
Sorry....but just can't agree with you on this one. I believe the problem here is the fact that Entegra keeps INSISTING that additional protection is not needed and that simply is not true. Before we ordered our coach we addressed this with them and their response was that no additional protection was needed and they had never had a problem with the EMS system they use. Well we only had our coach two weeks and had a very serious problem that blew the EMS and left us without power and damage to a few other items and I just can't believe that we were the first. I do believe that Entegra Customer Service is absolutely amazing and their staff is all amazing and their coach is amazing...but they do have their heads in the sand on this issue and many of us agree on that. At the very least if they do not want to include this CRITICAL item they should be advising owners that it is a necessary purchase and at least offer it as an option. This is our third coach and the ONLY one that did not come with adequate protection. JMHO
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
I guess we kind of agree - our Phaeton didn't have anything so we added the protection. When I talked to Tiffin they said they didn't know if I needed it - about the same as when we talked to Entegra - see DSL417's comments on the subject.

It seems as if there is a lot of confusion at the dealers and manufacturers about power protection. There should be clarity on what is protected from the factory and then clarity regarding add-ons. I bet if the PP we're talking about here was offered as an option, the only ones who wouldn't take it would be those moving theirs from their old coach to the new one.

I agree that the concept of minimal options at Entegra is a big part of keeping prices down, but $500+/_ isn't likely to affect the value proposition and might save/avoid a ton of cost or worse for us owners.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #36

Wally, disagreement is what makes the world go around, absolutely no problem. We have just had vastly different experiences. We have had 5 fifth wheels and four motorhomes and none of them came with adequate power protection(including my Travel Supreme Alante), so I have always just added the additional protection. AND, I also asked Entegra about it, Tadd Jenkins told me that they feel they have adequate surge protection but they do not protect from low voltage, open ground etc and I should add that protection once I got the coach, so again, we just have had different experiences. I TOTALLY agree with you, Entegra should NOT be trying to paint the picture that what they are providing is adequate protection, as you can attest it is not. IMHO, Entegra suffers from the same problem that plagues most of the industry, with the exception of Bob Tiffen, VERY few of the decision makers in the rv manufacturing industry actually USE their own products for any longer than a day or so. IF they would move into one and be on the road for a few months I suspect that these units would be build vastly different. I do agree that they just do not understand what we face on a daily basis. I have been frustrated on several fronts because things that should be a basic fix and very necessary to us users seem a very minor inconvenience and not worth the effort to fix to them. I will give a couple of examples: on my new 44 DLQ you can not access the bedroom without putting out a slide, I could design a solution (and have) in a few minutes but they do not see it important enough to address. Another is the air management system with the new AC system, you can not run the AC fans and the floor heat, you have to pick one or the other (this is actually a problem created with the change of AC manufactures, the old ones had this part right). Another big one for a lot of us is the operation of the shades (not talking about the shade motors, that is another story). The night shades SHOULD be on individual controls instead of the day shades taking up those individual controls, I have complained about this since 2011 and have made zero progress (not quite true, they DID have united come to the factory and have mine band aid fixed AT MY EXPENSE). So, we all agree, there are things we would like to change and improve but bottom line, I love my coach and still think it is absolutely the best value coach in the industry. ALL JMHO
Old 09-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi I'm a new owner of an Anthem DEQ and thought the surge protector was all I needed.
EMS does that stand for energy management system? I have seen the kind that attaches to the post but are you talking about replacing the surge protector that is installed with
another one inside the basement? Sorry to be so uninformed. Hope you can explain it to me.
Linda
tamaridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaridge View Post
Hi I'm a new owner of an Anthem DEQ and thought the surge protector was all I needed.
EMS does that stand for energy management system? I have seen the kind that attaches to the post but are you talking about replacing the surge protector that is installed with
another one inside the basement? Sorry to be so uninformed. Hope you can explain it to me.
Linda
Almost all of us put a Progressive EMS system, either hardwired in the coach before the power reaches the TRC surge protector or a portable unit that does the same between the campground post and the coach. You should as well to protect from the things that are not covered by a mere surge protector (see my earlier post for the differences).
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #39
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaridge View Post
Hi I'm a new owner of an Anthem DEQ and thought the surge protector was all I needed. EMS does that stand for energy management system? I have seen the kind that attaches to the post but are you talking about replacing the surge protector that is installed with another one inside the basement? Sorry to be so uninformed. Hope you can explain it to me. Linda
Progressive Ind EMS stands for electrical management systems. An EMS in your MH would be an energy management system.

The first one above manages the power before it enters your Coach. The second one manages the power load to each line inside your Coach.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #40

If this is the correct unit here is a great price.

Progressive Energy Management System 240Volt / 50Amp Hardwired w/ Remote Display

JJ
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #41

After reading numerous comments on this issue, we ordered the Progressive EMS-HW50 Surge Protector. Shadowbolt is correct, RV Upgrades had the best price, $309.58 plus shipping. I want to thank everyone for the input on this most important topic. Safe travels,
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
I just removed my EMS-HW50 from the Travel Supreme yesterday so I can install it in the Entegra. I forgot how EASY it was to install for those that are wondering if they can do it themselves. Match 4 colored wires the same and 4 self tapping installation screws to hang the box on the wall, and that was it.

Instead of cutting the power cord from the MH, (they are thick) go to Home Depot or Lowes and have "them" cut a piece of 6 gauge romex to go from the EMS to the the transfer switch. Makes the job twice as easy and keeps your power cord full length.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote