Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #43

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by G&J View Post
You should wait until you receive your Entegra and see how you get on, you may love the system that has been installed or it may not bother you that it is the way it is. Absolutely no point in spending more money on trying to solve a problem you don't know you have yet.

what dealer are you collecting your RV from?

G
I understand the logic behind waiting and won't arbitrarily pull the trigger on anything until I get to see it and hear it. Admittedly, though, I've spent more money on high end audio equipment in the last 45 years than on any other of my "toys", so my expectations are likely much too high (ask my wife).

I already know i won't have anything approaching the 7.1 system and large TV I have at my house, but like you I want the sound to be as good as possible to go with a 4K picture. Over time I will make changes that make sense, but going in I already know I'm not a fan of sound bar systems. Having said that we didn't buy the coach to watch TV so I don't want to sound like I'm putting too much emphasis on that one aspect.

We will be picking up our coach at Southaven RV in Southaven, Mississippi. We did the usual visit to other dealers around the south and decided to buy close to home (Memphis). Southaven RV is a large dealer with the largest indoor RV showroom in the country. Their focus up until recently has been more Newmar than Entegra.

Ted Cook visits Southaven monthly and we got to order our coach during one of his visits. We have also been able to visit Southaven RV a couple of other times when he has been here and got to sit and chat with him for a couple of hours. He is a fount of knowledge. (I'm sorry - this is probably more than you wanted to know).
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #44

Quote:
As some of you might know we have a youtube video channel showing our adventures with our new Entegra Anthem from the day we collected it (Oct 2015).

We have now added a pros & cons page to our website which is in our opinion the good the bad and the ugly points of our Entegra Anthem. Please let me know if there is anything you think should be added to the list.

Glenn
Glenn,
I really like your video’s and approach to RV’ing and please do not take this post in the wrong way. However, I think your “Con” list in your evaluation of the Entegra is skewed in a non differentiating manner. I find it a wish list in part, and a few realistic items of concerns. For example, “the sofa”, my wife would not trade the sectional for anything. I am a large person and have no problems being comfortable. That Coach does not come with a ladder, If you wanted one you should have bought one of the Entegra models in which the ladder is provided. Or perhaps make a customization modification to the coach like so many other do, who feel the need for a permanent mount. There are a number of the items on your list including the wifi antenna , tire pressure monitoring system, an auto stow dish., and certain lights not being dimmable which are preferences. My concern with the review is one that someone reading it would get the impression that you are dissatisfied with your Entegra. Maybe you should considering changing the title of your “con” list, with a title like “ things I would have changed or added” I think it would give a fair balance to the article and describe a great coach and folks behind it. Just my two cents.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:14 AM   #45
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
Pros & Cons Page

Hi There Dieselgem and thanks for your comments. Of course I won't take them the wrong way !
Yes you are absolutely right, we don't like our RV at the moment due to all of the problems we have encountered which are quite honesty totally unacceptable.

Now lets be clear, Entegra's after-sales service is absolutely faultless, but with this many faults it would have to be!

Now don't get me wrong, we want to love our Entegra but we really have had a crap time since ownership and no we are not very happy. I agree with you that many items on the list of the pros & cons are 'in our opinion' - When you been up to your arms in SH** on a brand new coach you start to loose the love. We are flying back to collect our Entegra on the 1st April (April fools day maybe not the best of days to start again) and we have told ourselves that we will wipe the slate clean and try and start once again with our 'new' Entegra.

I will take on board what you say and make some changes today on the Pros & Cons list, and perhaps move some items into a new heading 'Wish List'

It's funny because the idea behind us doing the videos and the website was to share the great times we were going to have with our brand new quality RV on our huge adventure across the US - some would say "living the dream", but sadly it turned out to be less of a dream and more of a nightmare. We actually made a film of how we felt as we arrived back at Entegra after driving for 10 hours a day for 4 days with dangerous steering, but we refrained from publishing this. Hopefully when we get back everything will be right and if that's the case we will produce videos showing how pleased we are.
G&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:46 AM   #46
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
TV remote codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Thanks, Glenn.

Do the TV and DVD player each have only one enabling code for the remote (and it's the same code)? If so, even with a new system, won't you still have the problem of both units responding to the power button at the same time?

The A/V issues you describe remind me of all the time and money I've spent in the last 25 years trying to find the perfect universal remote - my conclusion (up to now) is they don't exist. The name Logitech is particularly irritating to me. I'm getting ready to try the Ray Super Remote - it seems to hold some promise. If it works I will use it on the coach and not use the Bose.

I agree Bose charges too much for their name.
Hi Bill

Yes the "Front TV" the "Main TV"and the "DVD player" all use the remote code of 0060 so when you turn on the "Main TV" the "Front TV" will also come on (seems to happen at night more when the shades are down)and probably the "DVD player". So anytime the code 0060 is sent whatever mode the appliance is in the oppressive will apply. So if the "Main TV" is on and the "Front TV" is off, when you point the remote to turn off the "Main TV" the "Front TV" will come on. God only know what state the "DVD player" is in as it has no led or indicator lights on at all, so you have no clue as to whether it's ON or OFF!

Entegra use an IR repeater system which is commonplace when equipment is hidden and not able to receive a signal from the remote control. This is an acceptable practice and normally works well. So each device has a small LED repeater stuck on (although Entegra do stick these in the wrong place so the equipment is very slow in responding until you stick these in the right place) So when you press a command on the remote (any remote) the signal goes to each and all of the equipment. Now you would be able to work around these problems if a)you could tell if the DVD was on and b) if the BOSE system current mode was displayed on the TV. So what happens in reality is that you have to get all of the remotes out and open the flap above the fire (which gets very hot when the fire is on) so you can actually see what mode is enabled.

Now I would expect a lot of people can't be asked with all of this and probably just use the TV as a stand alone with the built in AV.

As for 4K, the only thing you have in the Entegra that is 4K is the TV and you will need to buy a 4K DVD player (only launched in Feb 2016) preferably one which is able to stream Amazon and Netflicks as you will soon be able to steam 4K films via these services but only if you have the equipment to achieve this.

Samsung have recently (Feb2016) launched the only 4K DVD player currently available but I'll hold off buying one of these until a different make is launched so as to avoid the remote code problem.

I will be installing the Yamaha system very soon so send me a PM in 2-3 weeks and I'll let you know the results.

Hope all of this makes sense and helps

Good luck with your new Entegra

Glenn
Old 03-20-2016, 05:21 AM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
On the topic of 4K streaming, it is very data intensive. Very few RVers will have enough cellular wireless bandwidth to be able to do this, and I doubt that it will be practical or affordable to do so. Most campground wifis can't even satisfy the need for HD streaming, so unless there are vast improvements, the only source for 4K will be Blue-Ray, and maybe one day over the air signals. What I am saying is that just because Entegra installed a 4K TV does not make it practical to view 4K video for the near future and I think it is premature to try to utilize 4K at this time. However, the 4K TV's will upscale an HD signal and I do see a noticable improvement over standard HD even when using my 4K TV with just a 1080 HD satellite signal.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
I understand the logic behind waiting and won't arbitrarily pull the trigger on anything until I get to see it and hear it. Admittedly, though, I've spent more money on high end audio equipment in the last 45 years than on any other of my "toys", so my expectations are likely much too high (ask my wife).

I already know i won't have anything approaching the 7.1 system and large TV I have at my house, but like you I want the sound to be as good as possible to go with a 4K picture. Over time I will make changes that make sense, but going in I already know I'm not a fan of sound bar systems. Having said that we didn't buy the coach to watch TV so I don't want to sound like I'm putting too much emphasis on that one aspect.

We will be picking up our coach at Southaven RV in Southaven, Mississippi. We did the usual visit to other dealers around the south and decided to buy close to home (Memphis). Southaven RV is a large dealer with the largest indoor RV showroom in the country. Their focus up until recently has been more Newmar than Entegra.

Ted Cook visits Southaven monthly and we got to order our coach during one of his visits. We have also been able to visit Southaven RV a couple of other times when he has been here and got to sit and chat with him for a couple of hours. He is a fount of knowledge. (I'm sorry - this is probably more than you wanted to know).
Bill, You hit the nail on the head in your assesment of Ted Cook who is more then a wealth of knowledge regarding everything pertaining to ( the old TS ) Entegra. He also is a good person !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:43 AM   #49

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
He also is a good person !
We completely agree!
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 03-20-2016, 05:47 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Hopefully I can help with the slide remote as mine did not work well either. First thing is to change the battery with a quality A23 alkaline battery. The factroy battery tested good, but would not work under a load. It was an off brand Chinese battery.

Second there is a green wire marked antenna behind the ALTA box in the front outside fuse compartment. Mine was coiled up behind the box and was not receiving the remote signal. See if the wire is pulled out and acting like a proper antenna. My slide remote now works anywhere inside or around the MH if pointed in the direction of the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-17 10.32.41.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	121827   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-17 10.31.21.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	121828  

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #51

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hi Bill

Yes the "Front TV" the "Main TV"and the "DVD player" all use the remote code of 0060 so when you turn on the "Main TV" the "Front TV" will also come on (seems to happen at night more when the shades are down)and probably the "DVD player". So anytime the code 0060 is sent whatever mode the appliance is in the oppressive will apply.

As for 4K, the only thing you have in the Entegra that is 4K is the TV and you will need to buy a 4K DVD player (only launched in Feb 2016) preferably one which is able to stream Amazon and Netflicks as you will soon be able to steam 4K films via these services but only if you have the equipment to achieve this.

Glenn
As you know there are many different possible control codes for Samsung TVs and DVD players. I would think the code for the TVs could be different since, even though they're the same brand, they're not the same model. The same thing applies to the DVD player. Does the Bose remote allow you to change the code it's sending to each device or do these TVs only accept 0060?

As for the 4K TV I used the 4K reference since that's what Entegra put in. As soon as I saw that the front TV was 4K in the 2016 models I said to my wife "where's the content coming from?" I would be perfectly content with 1080P.

There is some 4K Netflix content now and I could stream this at my home where I have a 75MB cable connection but am just not that interested; I've kiddingly said I'll wait for 10K.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 03-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Bill, You hit the nail on the head in your assesment of Ted Cook who is more then a wealth of knowledge regarding everything pertaining to ( the old TS ) Entegra. He also is a good person !

X2 Brian....I couldn't agree more!
AlKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #53
G&J

Entegra Owners Club
4K Tv

Yes agree with you all and for a change I wasn't moaning, just stating that if you wanted to watch and appreiate true 4K that you would need to purchase additional equipment. Thank you Entegra for having the foresight to install a 4K TV. I believe the current cheap Samsung DVD player does upscale so all good there.

I couldn't agree more regarding the streaming restrictions but the point I was trying to make is that if you are going to purchase a true 4K DVD player you may as well future proof it and get one that allows 4K streaming just in case you happen to be able to get a real good Internet connection.

Glenn
Old 03-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #54

I have said before but will say again, I have been working with electronics, primarily rf, since I was in 7th grade, but I must admit, the electronics of my Anthem are some of the worst designed and most arcane electronic systems I have encountered. I have not spent a day or two to try to really understand and diagram out all the electronics and I have sort of developed a process of getting things to work, but it sure is not a pleasure to do it.

Glenn is right on the IR system. It is a combination of problems. Why Samsung puts everything on the same IR code is amazing to me. Yes, 50% of the time I turn on and off multiple TVs with a single button press. This has included turning on and off the outside TV when it is stowed and not used.... you open the outer door after several weeks and there it is playing quietly. Worst, I can't control the DirecTV Genie box and TV unless the equipment access door above the fireplace is fully open and then only if you are standing slightly forward of the fireplace center and then must hold the (Direct or Samsung) remote within 2 or 3' of the equipment. Trying to run our TV from a sitting position on our 44B couch is a exercise in random superstitious behavior (maybe if I hold it just a little more right and a little higher, ...... etc. etc. ). Ordering different TVs from different manufacturers would be a far superior strategy to avoid this problem if it cant be resolved with the same manufacturer.

Glenn, if you have a better way to configure the IR sensors, PLEASE publish it to the list and I will make the changes. It is a major source of frustration. What do I unglue and where to I move it??

This problem is not unique to Entegra and is not just a problem of Samsung. At my S&B, I have a small Vizio in my kitchen, a larger one in my Breakfast room, and a very big one in my living room which are all in a general line. When I turn on the one in the kitchen, I turn on all three TVs. Why wouldn't manufacturers making codes rather unique, or switchable, so that this situation does not occur? And if impossible, then design the integration to avoid this problem.

Glenn is also correct that an LED somewhere on the DVD box would be a God send since it is a complete mystery what state it is in 98% of the time.

We have found a control or a physical position which works for most stuff, most of the time, but it certainly could not be described as convenient or a pleasure to use. My wife has essentially given up trying to run the electronics or I have to move her hand to the exact position that I have found works 60% of the time.

Finally, if you have found a way to deal with this mess, please publish a step by step guide to what control you use, how you have programmed it, and any mods you have made to the sensors or controls that have gotten around the design limitations and I will pick up your bar tab whenever we are together for life .

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #55

And Glenn, on this 3 month trip, we have made a specific effort to patronize the most exclusive and most expensive RV parks where we have traveled in an attempt to find a park WIFI system that is even half reasonable, and I have now concluded, if you are not someone who has inverted your sleep cycle so you are awake from midnight to noon and sleep from noon to midnight, then ALL park WIFI systems are virtually worthless..... some more worthless than others. Most clamp any downloading of anything, whether it is iPhone apps or anything big. Some seem to have installed a white list of locations which are simple email or google search locations. If I didn't have a cell phone hot spot and lots of expensive broadband, I would be back to the days of patronizing libraries and McDonalds to access the internet (found a McDonalds recently that charges for access..... gone are the good old days). My DW and I try to find an Irish pub which serves Smithwicks every 3 or 4 days and then beg them for their access code and download iPhone apps on their dime rather than Verizon.

The days of being able to download 4K video in an American RV park are going to come, long after I am dead, I am afraid.... we are going to have to wait a long time for that big a "pipe" in an RV park. Its like if an RV park has a single 10M or even 50M pipe into their system, they have done all that can be done. Anyone who has a true "unlimited" broadband contract, protect it at all costs.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I have to agree with that statement. We found some of the high $ parks only have wi-fi in the office and clubhouse. They figure if you can afford over $100. a night you can afford your own broadband. I don't think I will ever be streaming while on the road.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote